Need an Idea for Terrain

Mindless

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm making a warcraft chess kind of thing, but with upgraded units and abilities attached etc. However, I'm having trouble making the black and white squares interlaced thing, you know the classical chessboard. Do I do it using terrain? or put models of black and white squares alternating on the ground?

Or and other way to achieve this?

Any help would be appreciated.

death_knight

Dark is the heart of a corrupted man.
Reaction score
You could do it by changing the tileset to Dalaran and using the "Black Marble" and "White Marble" tiles to create the black and white squares.

Mindless

Reaction score
People! Please, more details! I'm new to terraining!

You could do it by changing the tileset to Dalaran and using the "Black Marble" and "White Marble" tiles to create the black and white squares.

I tried that, the effect wasn't really good though. Can do a small example for me? Thanks a lot.

Or you cloud make a custom tileset, thats easy.

How do I make a custom tileset? And actually, what is a custom tileset?

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Custom tilesets are tileset's that arent defaultly in the warcraft game, like everything else that is 'custom', it is user-made.

What is suggested is just black and white squares made using one of the model/terrain editing programmes and then just inserting it into your game.
I wouldn't suggest adding them as unit models as that could cause many problems like selection and health bars etc.

-Hate to dissapoint you but this type of game has been done.

death_knight

Dark is the heart of a corrupted man.
Reaction score
I tried that, the effect wasn't really good though. Can do a small example for me? Thanks a lot.

See the attached for my mock chess board.

And Inflicted is right, this game type has been done. But if you can put your own spin on the game, then I'd bee keen to see the finished product. Maybe you can do a 4 player version where there are two boards, each with two players; and there would be teams of two, each playing as a different colour (i.e one plays black and the other plays white), and each time someone takes an opponent's piece, the other team member can place it on their board at any time for their advantage. But it's just a suggestion.

Attachments

• chess.w3m
    15.9 KB · Views: 155

Mindless

Reaction score
-Hate to dissapoint you but this type of game has been done.

I know, the map is just for fun though. I'm mainly seeing if I can use what I know about the world editor to create a mini-game of some sort. I don't really have an original idea right now but still itching to programme a bit of WE! :p

I Can help you creates The custom tileset, if you still want it?

Thank would be great, much appreciated. +rep definitely!

@death_knight

erm... the grids are a bit large... I tried scaling them down but the effects are not that good. But I really appreciate all the trouble you went into to do this. (+rep) I'll see how the custom tileset turns out.

Mindless

Reaction score
Thanks. However, I've just noticed a problem, the unit's positions are a bit off of the terrain grids. So the black and white squares ends up in the middle of the units... So I guess I'll have to resort to creating models on the ground at centres of my square regions. Anyone know any good models to be used for this?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.