Need Guidance: Creating a certain ability

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
Hello, hello.

I'm still trying to become wise on this Data Editor. In Wc3 I basicly made all advanced spells through JASS and that was that.
In Starcraft 2 I haven't dared to touch the Galaxy-scripting and find Data Editor as a more ideal solution for creating abilities, due to statistics becomes more logical, instead of saying that player created 1200 units through an ability.

First of all the Data Editor is really annoying to work with, especially when you want to create a unique ability. Therefor I've find myself in need of guidance to create this ability of mine, so here it goes:

The ability
The ability fires a missile at desired location. The missile would have the same model as Marauders Punish Grenades.
But instead of doing instant damage on impact, I'd want the missile to get "stuck" in the ground of the impact point, show a "duration bar" countdown for 5 seconds and then explode. The damage would then be dealed from the Caster of the ability.

My thoughts
I'd asume to create this ability from Tychus Grenade ability. Either that ability or the Infestors Marine-thingie.
When the missile lands, I'd need the actual missile to stay there for 5 seconds. Is there any actor or some kind which could delay the Destroy-command by 5 seconds, and if possible have 4 or 3 seconds if their were levels on the ability?
The duration bar should be rather simple if I add a dummy unit with the behavior Buff - Timed Lifed, or if someone knows an easier way?
One of the problems is that I'm not quite sure how to make all of this work together.

Other questions while at it
I'm very confused on how to create a simple ability, where you throw away a grenade or whatever towards a desired location. So far I've managed to do a replica out of Tychys Grenade ability, but even that took forever to make.
I'm not sure how do add that white "range circle" upon choosing target location when using ability either.

Can you do everything in the Data Editor, or would I need to master Galaxy Editor for really advanced abilities?

Thanks for your time, and let me just note; I just need to grip this system and when I understand it I won't need much more aid. :)

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
:S since no body seems to be on and replying, i kinda might know the part about range circle but i have yet to figure it out aswell i think it might be to do with Splat Actors. :S been looking into it for a while cos i made an ability like ghost-EMP but am also still trying to find the range circle around unit and the splat(i think it is) effect for where the EMP will hit.
Note: only trying to help :S im new to this aswell :p

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
You should be able to create it completely in the data editor. Take a look at the attack actor (action actor) of another missile attack. The important thing you should notice here is that there is an Impact Effect token which is usually used to apply the damage. In your case however, you will want it to create a unit/model which will act as your grenade that lies on the ground. This grenade should have a timed life behaviour added to it which causes it to blow up and deal damage. I highly recommend that you take a look at the Raven's Auto-Turret ability which acts in a very similar manner.

Rainther

Reaction score
I can't remember if Auto-Turret got a missile animation or not. I'll look it up.

Is it still possible to make the damage come from the Caster?

One of the biggest issues here is that I want the missile, if possible to not dissapear upon Impact. I want it to stay on the ground so it looks like the missile i pointing through the ground.
This I'd think is achieveable through having the Missile Actor "die" with a delay of 5 seconds, if that's now possible.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
Just a wild gues, but what about the "Infester" ability, where it throws an egg with an infested marine inside. whick spawns after X seconds...

couldnt that be modified to explode?

Rainther

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been thinking of that ability. The only problem with it is that I'd consider it to be awesome if the Missile would get "stuck" in the ground, that is flying from the air and landing in the ground, upside down. That's why I'm curious if I can delay the Actor to remove the Missile after 5 seconds instead of upon "death"/impact.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.