New graphics card

Anderzzon

Reaction score
Hi thar! I posted a thread on the forum some months ago regarding my computer being busted. I've now been able to put some time into it and I've figured out that it's the GPU that needs to be exchanged. After looking around some an interest for ASUS GeForce GTX 460 1024MB with PhysX & Cuda has sprung up. I've currently got a 4850 sapphire and I weren't too happy with ATI from the start so I'm going back to Nvidia. Now, my question is two-part, one I have a PSU at 650, is that sufficient? Two is the GTX 460 good? I've looked around for some reviews but I can't find anything.

/Anderzzon

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
One advice I can give you that helps me when I find my self in this situation is to google the name of the graphics card followed by the word problem. That way you can find out if there are a lot of problems related to the card you are currently considering.
Other than that I am completely clueless to Nvidia cards since the last one of those I used was the Nvidia Riva TnT2 Ultra card and it was about 10 years ago or so.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
a 650W PSU is fine (you do need 2 6 pin connectors), and the 460's are good cards (it's almost twice as fast as your current card)

Anderzzon

Reaction score
a 650W PSU is fine (you do need 2 6 pin connectors), and the 460's are good cards (it's almost twice as fast as your current card)

Yeah, it's really been too long since I last upgraded my GPU.

One advice I can give you that helps me when I find my self in this situation is to google the name of the graphics card followed by the word problem. That way you can find out if there are a lot of problems related to the card you are currently considering.

Thanks for the advice. :)

/Anderzzon

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I got the 460 myself (point of view) and i am very happy with it. My PSU is 550 watt and no issues at all. Also very silent :)

deutschephar

Reaction score
you don't need more powerful PSU.

for a graphic cards review/test, go to:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/graphics-cards,1.html

or:
http://ixbtlabs.com/video.html

also, a sidenote: you may trust these sites, as well as myself, i build computer systems for, like, 15 years... yes, i'm *that* old

and what is the rest of your configuration and the games you want to play (including resolutions)? 4850 is still pretty powerful graphic card, people are virtually running to buy one of these... see, newer cards aren't that much powerful, they're more "rich of features" you don't use (yet)

for a budget you have, you may go cheaper than new 460 is, since i doubt 4850 is bottleneck (usually it's not, unless your rig is a real beast, or you demand crysis in 2560x1920)

Anderzzon

Reaction score
I managed to fix the problem... it was lose in it's... socket is it? I removed it and then put it back in. Works like a charm again. :)... Okei okei, I am a bit sad, it's always fun to buy new computer parts, then again so is saving money hehe.

Thanks for the feedback and I'd also like to ask how you think 4850 will handle Crysis 2? I Just saw the trailer and I'm sort of pumped now, played the first one a lot.

/Anderzzon

deutschephar

Reaction score
probably not with high settings and in very high resolutions. this game is made to move hardware boundaries...

but you should be able to play in medium quality, or so

Risen

Reaction score
You should post your current system specs; you may not need a new GPU, and if you do you may have another bottleneck. Crysis 2 is a big game, and it will most likely be the most hardware-intensive game for a few years.

Anderzzon

Reaction score
Motherboard: Asus P5K SE
GPU: Radeon 4850
Processor: Intel Dual Core E8400 3.00 GHz
Ram: 4GB

I know I won't be able to max it out, but I'd like to know if I'll be able to play at medium with a stable FPS-rate.

/Anderzzon

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
You're gonna need a better CPU and GPU.

I'd suggest at least a core i5 and at least a 5770. Though, today I'd go with an nVidia card.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
You're gonna need a better CPU and GPU.

I'd suggest at least a core i5 and at least a 5770. Though, today I'd go with an nVidia card.

sevion is mostly right, you will be able to play it on low ish settings only, medium settings would require both a gpu and cpu upgrade, but the 5770 isn't really an upgrade from the 4850, it's pretty much at the same level

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
The 5770 has a much better performance if you go CrossFire. Which is why I always recommend it. It has more upgrade potential than 4850/4870.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
The 5770 has a much better performance if you go CrossFire. Which is why I always recommend it. It has more upgrade potential than 4850/4870.

the 4850/4870 can also crossfire.. and 2 4870's beat 2 5770's by a bit..

the 460 that this thread is about is at that level of performance without the need for a second card, that is where you would want to be

Anderzzon

Reaction score
Yeah well, with Skyrim coming towards the end of the year I'm going to start saving up for a new computer.

/Anderzzon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.