[NewGen] Various questions, and a problem testing maps

Darius34

Reaction score
Okay. I started using the NewGen WE quite a while ago (mostly just for TESH functions - not into vJass just yet), and only just recently did this problem with map-testing surface. For some reason, when I save maps with the NewGen WE, tab into WC and play them, WC always loads this same, weirdly broken map file I created (and deleted) some time ago. It doesn't matter which map I have open in the editor; it always saves the same corrupted file, and this then manifests in WC. The map data shown in the editor is retained, however, and the map can be made playable in WC by opening it in the normal WE and saving it. Why is this, and how do I fix it?

Also, a question about NewGen: if you only use some of its functions, can the map still be opened and edited in the normal WE without any problems, errors, etc.? In other words, is 'backward-compatibility' (in a sense) part of its functionality?

Thanks.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay. I started using the NewGen WE quite a while ago (mostly just for TESH functions - not into vJass just yet), and only just recently did this problem with map-testing surface. For some reason, when I save maps with the NewGen WE, tab into WC and play them, WC always loads this same, weirdly broken map file I created (and deleted) some time ago. It doesn't matter which map I have open in the editor; it always saves the same corrupted file, and this then manifests in WC. The map data shown in the editor is retained, however, and the map can be made playable in WC by opening it in the normal WE and saving it. Why is this, and how do I fix it?
Did you try it by testing your maps in NewGen?
Also, a question about NewGen: if you only use some of its functions, can the map still be opened and edited in the normal WE without any problems, errors, etc.? In other words, is 'backward-compatibility' (in a sense) part of its functionality?

Thanks.
It isn't suppose to mean backward-compatibility. It's suppose to be a JASS mod, and it wouldn't affect the triggers to any degrees at all. Did you put/install NewGen directly into your Warcraft III directory? If it had been, then that's the problem. It might have replaced some of the necessary files in your Warcraft III directory file.

Reaction score

You will always be able to open NewGen maps in the normal WE, but you probably wouldn't be able to save unless you disabled jasshelper while in the NewGen WE.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
You will always be able to open NewGen maps in the normal WE, but you probably wouldn't be able to save unless you disabled jasshelper while in the NewGen WE.

I always had my jasshelper enabled since I started on my project. Is there something wrong with that?

Reaction score
I always had my jasshelper enabled since I started on my project. Is there something wrong with that?

No, but you can't edit and save a map in the normal WE if you've been using vJass, and I'm going to make the assumption that saving a map with jasshelper may interfere with your ability to open, edit and then save in the vanilla WE.

Darius34

Reaction score
Did you try it by testing your maps in NewGen?
You mean via the Test Map button? Yes. I got the same result.

It isn't suppose to mean backward-compatibility. It's suppose to be a JASS mod, and it wouldn't affect the triggers to any degrees at all. Did you put/install NewGen directly into your Warcraft III directory? If it had been, then that's the problem. It might have replaced some of the necessary files in your Warcraft III directory file.

Uh, yeah, I meant backward-compatibility in a sense, if you consider NewGen a more advanced version of WE. ;) Considering that NewGen adds a preprocessor into the mix, I'm wondering how much it modifies map data, and how compatible maps created with it are with the regular WE.

Finally, no. I installed it another directory.

No, but you can't edit and save a map in the normal WE if you've been using vJass, and I'm going to make the assumption that saving a map with jasshelper may interfere with your ability to open, edit and then save in the vanilla WE.
Hmm. JassHelper has always been enabled in my NewGen editor as well, and yet I can work on my maps in the regular editor. I'm not using vJass. It's the NewGen editor which won't save properly.

Another mystifying thing: I actually deleted the map the NewGen editor saves quite a while ago. I've no idea how it saves and loads, haha.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Another mystifying thing: I actually deleted the map the NewGen editor saves quite a while ago. I've no idea how it saves and loads, haha.

That's something called a backup. Maybe it's your backup that's corrupted or something. Did you try replacing your NewGen with a fresh new NewGen from the Jass Pack 1.4d?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Go to Grimoire/Test Map Configuration and disable it.
That's the only thing I can think of.
Wait, is that a new way to keep others from opening a map? Great one, PitzerMike, love that hidden easter egg of yours..:D

Darius34

Reaction score
That's something called a backup. Maybe it's your backup that's corrupted or something. Did you try replacing your NewGen with a fresh new NewGen from the Jass Pack 1.4d?
No, hadn't tried reinstallation before. Just tried it, and maps seem to save fine now. Meh, I should have seen such a simple solution. :banghead: Thanks for your help, I guess.

Go to Grimoire/Test Map Configuration and disable it.
That's the only thing I can think of.
I tried that just before I reinstalled NewGen. It didn't work, but thanks anyway.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
No, hadn't tried reinstallation before. Just tried it, and maps seem to save fine now. Meh, I should have seen such a simple solution. :banghead: Thanks for your help, I guess.

Glad to see your NewGen working. :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.