Gaming Nintendo Files Patent for Console With No Optical Drive

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The patent, spotted by NeoGAF user Rosti, shows a rough schematic of a console that, according to the patent filing's abstract, "is not provided with an optical disk drive" for reading game data from a disc.

Instead, the patent shows games stored on a hard drive, and further cites "high-speed communication such as ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) or optical communication," such as high-speed fiber internet, as a delivery method for game data. The patent says this will allow a server "to distribute a game program to a game apparatus," and cites the benefit to the consumer of not needing to purchase "a recording medium."

The language could mean Nintendo is planning for an all-digital future, but it also doesn't rule out the possibility of some sort of game-streaming service, either.

However, while the console in the patent doesn't include an optical drive, it does mention a read/write card slot that can read from devices "such as an SD memory card."

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Optical drives are still a thing?
I thought we made a complete 360° turn and went back to "cartridges" (now called USB sticks / portable hard drives).

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what this article is confirming, though with SD cards instead of flash drives.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Digital only, I presumed. Memory card doesn't have game programs in them.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
I hope they go back to the cartridge route. Loading times will be awesome. SDXC will future proof it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.