NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT & ATI Radeon 9550 - Comparison

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Once again it seems I am unable to solve this question myself, so here I am another time hoping someone can help me with a comparison I need between two Graphic Cards. When I Google it, the numbers they throw at me mean little - That's why I need a personal opinion, tailored to someone who is practical with computers but doesn't understand the figures.

Now, although it may be an odd request, I was wondering if someone could compare the:

NIVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

&

ATI Radeon 9550 (X1050 Series)

...In terms of what is better and by how much. The current graphics card I use (the NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT) doesn't seem to work with a new game I've purchased (which I have also contacted the company in hopes they can find a solution).

I'm simply wondering if I were to switch the NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT graphics card for the ATI Radeon 9550 (X1050 Series) graphics card which I have in my second computer, how badly would my computer's graphic capability and quality decrease?

Thanks in advance to any and all who can provide their input regarding the situation. It's greatly appreciated. :)

-Mat

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
I'm not gonna look at the specs honestly. Out of all of the video cards I've ever gotten, yes I have gotten a Radeon video card. I would personally go for the NVIDIA video card because they're usually the top notch brand, even if their specs are slightly lower. I'll re-edit this message in a moment after I took at look at the specs.

EDIT: Go for the NVIDIA card. It looks like it's specs beats the shit out of the Radeon video card anyways.

RE-EDIT: Oh, and if you're switching them out, keep the NVIDIA card. You're better off getting a new video card other than switching to the Radeon one.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
EDIT: Go for the NVIDIA card. It looks like it's specs beats the shit out of the Radeon video card anyways.
The Nvidia card will indeed be somewhat faster that the ATI one, but both are cards that have been considered low-end... ATI in 2004 and Nvidia in 2007.

None of these cards will run any new game at decent speeds, so, basically, you're wasting your memory by upgrading. Unless, of course, someone is gettin rid of his old junk and offers you the card for free.

RE-EDIT: Oh, and if you're switching them out, keep the NVIDIA card. You're better off getting a new video card other than switching to the Radeon one.
No. Better save your money and get a decent one, either an Nvidia 260 (or better) or an ATI 4850/4870 (depending on your budget).

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
It's not worth getting a 3k series ATI card, 4850s are only $50 more then a 3870 and a world better. Based on a quick newegg, 8800 cards aren't worth looking at even.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.