Password Entropy

KILLJAW

Reaction score
Hi, I'm creating a password for an encrypted drive, and I was curious whether my password would be strong enough. Is 150bits of entropy reasonable for securing the drive?

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Depends on who you want to save the data from. Just remember that in most cases even simple protection works. How many characters is 150 bits (i'm guessing around 30?) That would take quite some time to decode (if it was a mix of letters, numbers, symbols and capitals). I think you're pretty safe.

On an off hand everything can be decoded so you're never 100% safe with encryption ^^

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
All of my passwords are 140 characters, randomly generated, with high level ASCII characters.

Example: ?ê??j,{aÙ(?M°d¦EmïaG¶qø_þ® ?àr=_ÎÊÝÌÎdÛk~0²AjÆî?D/IòãËVýM6?«?ÜÍiúÙh,Ê©z±Úgæ5ÅÄJ??J`^?.?ú?2?å%?úDZ´KL½G#®±G${_eh?6a%³s¨Õ§#GÁÐ?0%£G¸Õ_XìxÓ¿r

Nobody has ever cracked one of my passwords, maybe it's overkill though.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I think it is overkill, but that can't hurt. It's a pain because you have to always keep track of them, with a file :p.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
OP, it's very in-secure to tell everyone that you have something requiring such ridiculous security.

Better double the bits.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score

so what is your keepass password's length? and do you have that memorized?

like everyone said already, nothing is 100% safe, it CAN be cracked eventually, you just need to decide if it's safe enough - but for you I suggest adding some code that deletes the content if anyone ever guesses a wrong password

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
like everyone said already, nothing is 100% safe, it CAN be cracked eventually, you just need to decide if it's safe enough - but for you I suggest adding some code that deletes the content if anyone ever guesses a wrong password
I second this.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or (educatedly) changes the password to a random of 15 possible ones. that way they would have to get it at the exact time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.