PHP syntax highlighter

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Hello!
I am looking for a program that works exactly like notepad except that it can syntax highlight (and optionally format) PHP code, without requiring PHP or Java Runtime Enviroment or something else to be installed on the machine. The reason I don't want that is I tried downloading a program called Eclipse that cried for a Java Runtime Enviroment to be installed even though I'd grabbed the newest version from Java's own homepage. I also tried something called GeSHi but i never got it to work either since it seemed to require you to have PHP installed locally on your machine or something.

I'm just interested in a simple program like notepad that highlights syntax in PHP code. The code I write is run on a server somewhere and not on my computer.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It depends greatly on your Operating System. Although $99, Coda is a beautiful Web Development IDE that works perfectly, is a pleasure to look at, and works great. Funnily enough, it's only available for Macs. If you're not using a mac, then as Magentix suggested, Notepad++ (Direct Download) is probably the best thing for you.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My personal favourite would be Notepad++.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
I like vim. It's available for all operating systems and is generally awesome. Granted, it takes a bit of time to get used to, but it's worth it in the long run.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I agree with vim. If you can't get used to it though, Notepad++ (Windows) is a good alternative, as is gEdit (Linux / Windows)

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
I agree with vim. If you can't get used to it though, Notepad++ (Windows) is a good alternative, as is gEdit (Linux / Windows)

I'm starting to use vim at work, but even with a cheat sheet, I haven't got much further than yanking, deleting and pasting lines... Oh and undoing...

I'm sticking with Dreamweaver at work, Notepad++ privately.. although Dreamweaver tends to 'oops, deleted' your files if you rename some

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.