Please test my Tilemap system

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Here is my latest attempt at making a 2D Tilemap which is supposed to display a 3D landscape.
Maybe you could download the programm, run it, test it and report back whether you could imagine playing a game with this system or not.
It would be really nice if all of you could test it, i want to get many opinions on this one because it looks pretty decent in my opinion.

The controls are simple:
Leftclick => Raise land
Rightclick => Lower land
Left Shift + Leftclick => Make terrain type to "dirt"
Left Shift + Rightclick => Make terrain type to "grass"

The game *should* run on MacOS, Linux and Windows but requires (preferably) the latest version of java to run. It might run with older versions but that is not guaranteed.

Here is a screenshot:
Screenshot.png

Attachments

• Tilemap System Test.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 308

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If it is a virus you will have no chance to ever hurt anybody again. It will be too late buddy, way too late.
Remember I already have a viral infection and the appropriate medications to effectively and efficiently not only combat it, but kill it. All of it. Your amateur virus will be NOTHING in comparison to what g.OD distributes.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Sub-divisional smoothing would make it look more like a game.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Very Cool, Suggestion. is when your going from point at to point b, don't let it be a straight line, put in some random ness, or curve it some. That way way it wont have so many sharp edges.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    609.1 KB · Views: 311

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Very Cool, Suggestion. is when your going from point at to point b, don't let it be a straight line, put in some random ness, or curve it some. That way way it wont have so many sharp edges.

actually that was me drawing a circle in a single smooth line (well as best I could.. im not much of an artist) + the :)

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
not what I ment. I ment it would be nice code wise, if you created a mt. on any point. that it would curve the lines, or randomize some of it some. I mean if you look at mine, if that were in place, mine would have less sharp edges or sharp lines.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well this is just the start. I want to make things like a maximum height difference between adjacent nodes, and if you raise a node that all adjacent nodes will be raised a little bit too, and stuff.

But at first i just wanted to test the visuals, if it works well and if you think this would be good for a game.
Probably an RTS game where the terrain will play a huge role and can be modified.

Thanks to all of you for the testing.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Any more feedback on this?
Somebody has a mac or linux with which he/she can try?

Any suggestions how this can be made any better?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.