Snippet Point on a circle

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
JASS:

function GetPointOnCircleX takes real xCenter, real radius, real angle returns real
    return xCenter+radius*Cos(angle)
endfunction

function GetPointOnCircleY takes real yCenter, real radius, real angle returns real
    return yCenter+radius*Sin(angle)
endfunction

Some very simple functions that can help determine the coordinates of a point on a circle.

Example
Given: Circle with center at (50,50) with radius 50.
Problem: You want to find the X,Y coordinate for the position at 0º
Solution: You can do that yourself easily, just move to the outer point from the center over the distance of the radius the math on that is simple and you can do it yourself just looking at it. The right angles are all easy to do, even the quarters are if you know your unit circle.

Problem: You want to find the X,Y coordinate for the position at 82.7º that doesn't fit the unit circle and you can't eyeball that one. So we need to use the functions above.

set new_x = GetPointOnCircleX(50, 50, 82.7)
set new_y = GetPointOnCircleY(50, 50, 82.7)

Remember this is points ON the circle, not inside it, not near it, on the actual circle.

Komaqtion

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
First, why GetPointOnCircleX, and not GetPointInCircleX...
And why "real radius" and not "real range" or something :O

(Just something that bothered be, lol XD)

But still... This is 2 very small BJs, which really is alot easier to just write out, and more efficient also...

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
First, why GetPointOnCircleX, and not GetPointInCircleX...
And why "real radius" and not "real range" or something :O

(Just something that bothered be, lol XD)

But still... This is 2 very small BJs, which really is alot easier to just write out, and more efficient also...

Radius is better than range cause ange and can be from point a to point b but radius is half of the diamater of a circle. It's more understandable. And why would it matter if its GetPointOnCircleX or GetPointInCircleX. Its like teh same thing.

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
Radius is better than range cause ange and can be from point a to point b but radius is half of the diamater of a circle. It's more understandable. And why would it matter if its GetPointOnCircleX or GetPointInCircleX. Its like teh same thing.

it is not IN the circle but ON the circle. And it isnt less efficient since it will be inlined (if you use vJass)...

/edit
ops, wrong quote
/end edit

But you should maybe note that it takes radians and not degrees (you used degrees in the sample)

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Remember this is points ON the circle, not inside it, not near it, on the actual circle.

Don't really know how I can reply to your messages other than that.

And it takes a radius because you're going from the center of the circle, not some random arbitrary point inside the circle

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Click

On a somewhat related note, I've always disliked these sorts of common snippets.
It's like submitting H2I as a snippet; everyone can do it, it's extremely popular, and it's so small that you can hardly state that you created it.

GY'd (due to the link above).

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Click

On a somewhat related note, I've always disliked these sorts of common snippets.
It's like submitting H2I as a snippet; everyone can do it, it's extremely popular, and it's so small that you can hardly state that you created it.

GY'd (due to the link above).

Well, if you look at a comment by cohadar, he comments on the difference of degrees and radians. *shrug* Didn't see that previous post, my bad.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
>Well, if you look at a comment by cohadar, he comments on the difference of degrees and radians.
Anyone capable of using this is capable of removing that single multiplication.

In fact, everyone capable of using this is capable of simply writing it themselves. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.