Possible Warcraft III Portable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Do you think you be able to work with World Editor and Warcraft using a portable device? (Usb Stick, Usb Drive, ect) Since the new patch doesn't require a cd anymore.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> Do you think you be able to work with World Editor and Warcraft using a portable device?

Yes. I think so.
I'm wanting a new bigger flash drive so that I can do that. :p

ReVolver

Reaction score
Well I recently just bought a 32gb flash drive, so I was wondering if that was possible.. I have the space, its just that I don't know if you need to add something to the registry or install something in the windows folder.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> I have the space, its just that I don't know if you need to add something to the registry or install something in the windows folder.

I've played Starcraft from my flash drive by using the disk.
Put the disk in, run the game from the flash drive - boom. Instant game. :p

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I had used my 1 gb usb flash drive to play Warcraft 3 RoC ever since I learned that flash drives can store files. Now, it is treasured as my first time user of using this usb to play all games throughout 4 years.

Also, with the patch 1.21b, you don't need a cd.

Just do these:

1: Insert your usb drive.
2. Your computer may not noticed anything, so either open the folder containing your Warcraft 3 files. Or go to My Computer --> X: ---> Warcraft III. X stands for your usb drive letter.
3. Run the executable or run Autorun.exe. Play the game.
4. The computer doesn't register the game whether if it is installed or not. All I see was that it makes a regkey for two things:
A: Your Warcraft 3 location
B: Your profile.
I don't know much if it is saved on a usb flash drive, but I'm positive that you could run without any regkeys at all. If my memory is playing jokes on me, I remembered I used to play HLW v2.3 with other players with the Warcraft 3 installed into my usb flash drive, while using it at a computer store. After playing nonstop for 1 hour, the store manager saw me playing, and ask if you had installed anything on that computer. I told him I was just testing the capabilities of the usb, and shown to him. He said "Well, if you want, you can leave it in there." He was probably meant to leave my usb in there so that other customers can play Warcraft 3. So, I took my usb with me, and left the store.
5. I had tested these myself 3 years ago, though I have to use the CD back then.

ReVolver

Reaction score
Ok I'll try to install it on my flash drive, the problem is that when I put the cd in to install it just tells me to play Warcraft III instead of installing, I already tried dragging the Warcraft III folder in the the root of my usb.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
First you need to uninstall your Warcraft 3, this is to erase the regkey that gives the computer the Warcraft 3 folder's location. Then, after that, install it into your USB flash drive, to give your computer a new location.

A bit of the hassle: It takes me an estimate of 1 hour and 50 minutes to complete the entire procedures of installing it into my 1 GB USB, I'm not sure if yours is faster than mine. Plus, your USB flash drive should be in FAT32 format firsthand, otherwise it will slow down bit by bit during gameplay, like a memory leak.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
> Do you think you be able to work with World Editor and Warcraft using a portable device? (Usb Stick, Usb Drive, ect) Since the new patch doesn't require a cd anymore.

You could in theory, but it's not going to be very portable since the game still puts stuff into your Windows Registry. So you can only use it on one computer.

> Plus, your USB flash drive should be in FAT32 format firsthand, otherwise it will slow down bit by bit during gameplay, like a memory leak.

What?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
I've run WC3 in a 2gb pendrive before :p. But just for a while. Afraid that the drive may get burn. I just copied the whole patched WC3 file into the drive (no installation). So yeah, it works on any external drive :).

ReVolver

Reaction score
First you need to uninstall your Warcraft 3, this is to erase the regkey that gives the computer the Warcraft 3 folder's location. Then, after that, install it into your USB flash drive, to give your computer a new location.

So there is no other way to reinstall Warcraft III? I don't want to uninstall/install.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
> Plus, your USB flash drive should be in FAT32 format firsthand, otherwise it will slow down bit by bit during gameplay, like a memory leak.

What?
Wait, you're not using the external powered USB flash drive, are you? If you're using the external one, I suggest you use NTFS or ETFS formats. If you're not, then FAT32 is your answer. From Orc_Tamer's post, he meant a 32GB flash drive (Is the limitation of 8GB Flash drive increased to 32GB?), so I'm pretty sure it has to be using FAT32 format.

To Darg, that lagging is like lagging from a memory leak. It lags then runs at a normal pace, then lags, then run, then lag, then run, and your game stalls because of overheat. If the targeted USB drive is small, it's flash, and it doesn't make any spaces at all (like a box holding up spaces in your room, that's what I'm talking about), then you could play for 6 hours straight.
----------------------------

To Orc_Tamer,

Unless you know how to edit your regkey, you have to do the uninstallation/installation. Besides, isn't your connection speeds over 8MB per second? Patching it should be quick.

Another way is to find a computer without any Warcraft 3 games. Use that one to install it into your USB Flash drive.

S

ss_mendel

Wow, the new patch just came out, and I tried playing it on my school computers.

I'm using a regedit file to make the install path and playing out of usb and it works fine for some computers.

The problem is that on some other computers, even after I register the registry key, it says PLEASE INSERT CD INTO THE THING.

I'm like wtf? It's not even supposed to require a CD!

Possible reasons it may not work is because 1. it has a temporary cd drive that people put games one 2. I think cds are banned due to a hacking incident last year or 3. I can only put the regedit crap on LOCAL USER, and not LOCAL COMPUTER (connected to server).

If anyone can help me fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated! Just a by the way question, how would daemon tools fix the problem and whether if you chould put Daemon tools directly on a USB stick and just xfer it? Our school blocks the installing of software/hardware on the computer.

And no... I dont have admin :(

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Yes.. i've done it many times.. the only thing you need to worry about are updates..

And i don't think you have to uninstall your original WC3... all that would do is remove the registry and that would disallow you to join the bnet servers.

Fluffball

Reaction score
Lol, i do this every day, take it to school on a 4G Flash Drive. Also useable on iPods, just don't put it in the music folder >>.

Bit slow, but still, it's Warcraft. Been doing this for about 9 months.

(CnP the whole folder)

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
To ss_mendel:

First, you need to find a way to register the installation path to your USB on a computer. And then, see if it continues to run the game from the usb, and connect to the bnet server. I'm probably thinking that the game isn't updated.

Or possibly, your school server is blocking some. You need to use an anonymous proxy IP, then log on using that IP in Warcraft 3.

Lol, i do this every day, take it to school on a 4G Flash Drive. Also useable on iPods, just don't put it in the music folder >>.

Ah.. never mind. As long as the Ipod didn't scan the files in the music folder, you can still play your games.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
As told before you should be able to just copy and paste Warcraft folder to your USB drive. Only important thing to get game running are correct registry values. Link to registry settings: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103100

In Registry are many other World Editor and Warcraft graphics settings also. I don't know will Warcraft create them automatically if ran. Best is to create Registry file, which adds Warcraft to registry. Then you only need to run registry file from USB before running game.

EDIT:

What a thread resurrection, mods close it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.