Project Orbitos

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
My Time for a Double post! oh Wait...doh!

I've been browsing the forums and collected a list of topics that might help us create this infernal mod / map.

Links
Last Base destroyed = victory
Direct Line damage (useful for ion guns)
Dota Template. IDK. it might have something useful in it.
Ability secrets
Reducing lag / killing memory leaks
All Threads started by Daelin This guy know what he's talking about...seriously! :eek:
WE tips & tricks Good stuff.
Channeling This will come in handy when we get around to doing the channeling energy weapon I have in mind.
I think we might need a Spellbook or inventory of some description for our ability keyboard node items or abilitys. Theres two here...Spellbooks by Andrewgosu or InvX's infinite inventory
Vexorian's threads.
olofmoleman's model links (w3campaigns)
Spell Index
Moon !
Hidden material / items
Random Numbers using numbers only once!
Possible Bullet projectile spell
Buy and Sell Items ability
Non Leaking Slide Triggers (movement for missiles and cruise mode)
Simple Solution for mining bots on the moon.

Tips:
Tornado Wander (If you ever need a moving missile give Tornado Wander and use dummy unit with locust and 512 move speed- fantastic like real missile.) - Sooda

Turrets
I've been browsing and searching For something that might be suitable for the turret. Here's some links. Check the attached jpgs at these posts and let me know what you think.
Cannon Commanders
Barad'dur
Mobile Tank
Space Plant (LOL OMG)
Rebel Turret
Robot
Siege Tank
Some of these models have made me think: What if the moon was a patch of ground in the center of the map, instead of a single moon unit? OR it could be a locusted single unit, with the terrain shaped so that movable turrets can move around 'on the surface of the moon'

Extra Models for Projectiles / effects
Angel Wings
Missile effects
Particle effects
Starfall V2
Time Aura

While I was forumiting I had another brain fart. Instead of kicking the player out when they are dead (Sorry you lose!) why not make them useful? This idea:
  • Send the player to the moon
  • The player has control over a single immovable invulnreble unit
  • The unit has 1 weapon
  • The weapon randomly changes every....1 minute?
  • For every player that they kill, they get that much bounty to start off with in the next game.

This way we:
  • keep the players in the game,
  • keep them interested in whats going on,
  • set the stage for advantages to players who suck or die early
  • are able to restart the game with most players - without having to recreate the game or load a map or w/e
What do you guys think?

Lunarios

Reaction score
*Rips open a can of beans with his teeth*
*Does something potentially gross*
*Gets a brilliant fart wave*
*Bumps the post with style*

Okay. A little introduction is nessecary.

"Shit, hes chasing me like a squirrel after nuts"
"Try evasive tactics"
"Shit, he got me locked with a homing missile"
"Going down"
"Shit ****ing ****er"
"Lost my ship, but I managed to eject"
"Reverting to my turret on the moon"

Not exactly sticking to the facts, but still. You get the point that the pissed off pilot is now at a turret on the moon. When your pilot takes the turret, his camera changes. It changes so he sees exactly 180 degrees from the moons point of view. His field of vision rotates slowly to match the roatation of the moon. He has some basic weaponry, one of each type. He can be hit, but his position is heavily fortified. In other words, he can surrive a fusion bomb if nessecary. Targetting is done like ships, except with a different camera.

Footnote Alert! Skip if bored!

[Fusion is the process where atoms are smashed together, forming an atom higher in the periodic table. It produces more energy than fission, which is the process where a atom is split apart to produce energy. Fusion is more powerful than Fission, its partner in a current nuclear bomb. Fusion powers the sun]

Footnote Ending!

His most important weapon however, is a tactor beam. He can instantly set the units speed to stationary, for a set amount of time.He cannot buy new weapons, and otherwise the system is the same. In weapon stats, the turret has a full category of weaponry, with one basic weapon in each type of offensive device (plasma...), and has the tractor beams.

On the other note, instead of having a ship, you could have a upgraded turret. It would have similar systems for buying all weapons, and some defensive measures. It has acess to the whole new category of passive armor, with special turret only qualifications. It starts off with high defense, but is more easily killed than the other turret. By pressing arrow keys, the person can roate there veiw by 90 degrees in either direction. Otherwise, everything else is the same.

One final concern, can targetting (click target) weapons be fired while in a slide-move situation?

chovynz

Reaction score
Nice Intro.

I dont how much this would lag or create lag for others, but what about the turret having a semi 3D view?

So the turret has turret only weapons and shields? Cool! We should expand on that more.

And here's another Idea that would encourage teamwork. Every minute you're allied with someone(s) both(all) of you get extra gold? Maybe a formula like Base bounty + (n X allies + 5g).(The Idea being that the races are sharing technology, people are guarding each other, workers are working together etc... with interesting possibilities for betrayel - After all there can be only one winner!) I wonder what the penalties for declaring war on your allied partners could be? Maybe your next ship blows up at a random time because of sabotage? Or your movement speed falls to %50 because of engine failure or something?

One final concern, can targetting (click target) weapons be fired while in a slide-move situation?
No reason why not.

Lunarios

Reaction score
Hmmm... Got a little spin on that idea.

You can steal enemy technology, which gives you gold. You have a very LOW chance of doing this. It can only be done in battle, via an ability. When you are allied, you automatically share gold.

As for my suspicsions on the not being able to target, it was a mild concern with the the trigger.

Extension on turret idea:

Instead of being a turret, you could be an orbiting space station. You can do the following things.

1.Send mining probes to mine the moon (long casting time with good rewards. Mining is done by using a ability, and drop off is done using an ability.

2. Deploy repair drones to repair others

3. Deploy small fighter ships (like needing 48 to kill a ship).

4. Function as a turret

5. Make advanced weaponry (special weapons and such).

6. Purchase armor and weapons.

----A extension on the turret would be as follows.

1. Shoot down enemy craft by using almost unlimited range weapons (accuracy maybe not).

2. Defend your team

3. Provide coverage for minign probes.

4. So recon operations on enemy units.

5. Buy armor and weapons (special weapons available).

---The space station and turret would only be available in team modes (3+) because of the relatively inflexible roles of space station and turret.

chovynz

Reaction score
PRoject: Orbitos - Artwork

This'll be added to later.
#1 Concept Art - Rough Draft.

#2 Concept Art - Rough Draft Dev'pd

master maste

Reaction score
sorry its been a long time since I have posted. . . I have a problem lol :nuts:

windows (stupid, stupid, stupid windows:banghead: ) has locked me out of my pc 5 days before I needed to activate (I was procrastinating lol) and now I need to type in the activation code before I can log in (I have the code on the box), problem is it can't detect the internet connection therefore will not let me activate inturn not letting me log onto my account.

I was going to reinstall the windows cd but I can't find it at the moment and it will cause the following:

This also means I have lost all of the maps and things that I was making for project orbitos but did not quite get to posting them.

But anyways just reading your posts gives me great ability ideas (btw I perfected the homing bullet and almost perfected the black hole (problem is they like to screw up after 5 or so tests of the ability lol)).

thats all for me, Ill be back and working hardout in a few days.:)

edit: you should look at this guys models for the game (maybe you could convince him to make some or edit some to our specs) http://www.wc3campaigns.net/resources.php?f=613&u=739672&page=2&order=desc all of his models are purely awesome.

chovynz

Reaction score
Dude! Welcome Back! Sorry to hear that. But I do have one word for you....
HARDDISKRECOVERYISGOOD!

Don't reinstall windows o_O.
Mount your HD at a friend's place and recover those files! Oh yeah and all your other stuff too...;) (Why didnt you activate???:nuts: You have 50 days from install or something...)

o_O on that guys models!:eek: :eek: :eek: Good job on finding that. Btw send (PM is prefered to keep this thread clean) me any links of things you think might be useful resources and I'll put them here so they are all in one place. (This guys links added.)

(btw I perfected the homing bullet and almost perfected the black hole (problem is they like to screw up after 5 or so tests of the ability lol)).
Good to hear, but...if they screw up after 5 tests....then they aren't perfected are they?:) Post if you can and we'll see what we can do.

Good to hear from you again! Keep up the good work Maste.

BTW guys, my main computer is in the shop so it won't be long until I can mod again.

master maste

Reaction score
ok I've been testing them on dads comp, and they seem to be working.

have made 3 more completely new spells, not including homing bullet.

still need some triggering to be finished. and dont know how to make my dummy unit be removed from game once it has reached its target.

what is hard disk recovery?

chovynz

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is kinda obvious (well, I'd hope it is) But keep an eye on some of the above posts. I'm adding to them as necessary. Specifically:

First post (lists weapons & shields, who's involved, gamebrief etc)
Resources - Lists various useful things
Project: Orbitos artwork (feel free to make any artwork for P: O. PM me with a link and I'll update that post with yours.)

master maste

Reaction score
when do you get your comp back,

now on topic:almost done with 4 abilitys, except that 2 of the channeling abilitys seem to react with eachother even though they have different ids and what not.

any ideas on this then please feel free to tell me, otherwise ill keep doing test. . .:D :p :eek: im confused as which way to feel lol.

chovynz

Reaction score
now on topic:almost done with 4 abilitys, except that 2 of the channeling abilitys seem to react with eachother even though they have different ids and what not.

I have no idea what your talking about or working on. Post maps, screenshots or triggers or all of the above please. :)

master maste

Reaction score
I'll post it in about a day, still got some finishing touches.:D

edit: whats up with lunarios, hes been quiet for awhile. . .

feel free to post more spell ideas that you have chovynz. <<<< be specific (what kinda result you want and AOE or target etc)

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
I haven't been reading the posts n stuff... But I see you have concept art. For a warcraft game. That seems... Interesting?

Why do you need concept art :confused:

master maste

Reaction score
concept art has many reasons:
-if you are bored
-feeling creative
-want to show people what you mean literally
-keeps the thread going and at the top of the list:D

feel free to post your own if you have any good concept art (that is on topic with Project Orbitos.:)

chovynz

Reaction score
Besides what Master Maste said up above, I can't really do much else yet. :D
Spell requests coming soon on this post.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
I meant whats the point of concept art well being productive :rolleyes:

I just thought it might be because you have no life ;)

Besides, I can draw good more i'm more about pracitcality like triggering n stuff.

Lunarios

Reaction score
Okay, i'm going to fart down to the specifics (Which I hate doing because everyone else does it, shows a bit about me :p).

Mapping: You can gain the skill mapping, which tells you your global coordinates, which can be later used to warp too. To map, simple navigate to your position. The scout comes with mapping. A follow up skill would be deploy scout driod, which would not be sliding engine powered (SEP), because it is nearly impossible to control to SEP units at once. Space stations can learn this ability also, except a slightly different more complex driod, with a longer summon duriation (SD). A final follow-up would be a SPS (Space positioning system). When you ping a location while the SPS is on (ability activated) It tells you the coordinates.

Warp: This is a follow up on your current warp. Using a massive about of gold, you can purchase a warp engine for your base. Every 2 minutes you can warp your base to a different location. This has seige posibilities as well. You can stock your base with heavy artilllery and than move into range. A simple analogy would be "Having a king lead the charge". Final note. All abilities have an ability called "Impact" . If another building gets to near to it, than they damage each other.

More on the specifics later, but I do have another pressing concern.

You cannot move while in a node. Is this a bad thing o_O?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.