Question about Jass

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the only places where I use GUI is where it's simple. If I want a player to gain a level in a specific upgrade when a specific ability is learned, it's a three-line GUI to make or a ten-line JASS code. Other than that, it's much better in JASSery.

P

Persen

SFilip said:
using jass you can make triggered spells multi instancable (which means 2 units can cast one spell at the same time tnx to the local variables)
You can in GUI too.
Now i'm not a GUI nerd, I just want to say that you guys shouln't exaggerate.
I think JASS is better than GUI.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Persen said:
You can in GUI too.
Now i'm not a GUI nerd, I just want to say that you guys shouln't exaggerate.
I think JASS is better than GUI.
what do you mean? i really dont think you can...

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
anything that has no waits in MUI no matter what, but anything with waits in GUI is not MUI, and any complex spell using other functions/trigger/timers are not MUI in GUI

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
You can make most spells multi instance with GUI. It doesn't matter if there is wait or not.

Just use the 'triggering units' custom value as a unique key for index in a massive array. You just have to make sure that the custom value is real unique, and that isn't very hard.
Ofc, this isn't a true MUI. It has a upper limit of ~8000 units, but I think that is enough for a wc3 map.

And using arrays with this is also problematic, you can use a gamecache for integers, reals and strings but since GUI = no return bug then you can't use the gamecache to store handles.

If you are using multiple triggers with GUI then you can use a unit group to store all 'casting units' instead of a single unit variable.

But in the end, if you use jass and the return bug then it is a lot easier.
I use jass for spells and medium to big systems, init triggers and small things are mostly made in gui with 'Custom Script' lines.

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
Sure you can make mui spells on GUI. But it is much easier to do son with JASS.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
>>what kind of things can it do that GUI can't?

Some of the good things in JASS that you can't do in GUI
-Custom Loops (None of that For each Integer A).
-Locals
-Handles
-Removing useles BJ functions
-Kattana's System
-Removing Memory Leaks
-Complete MUI ability (Yes I know you can use arrays in GUI, but it's not absolutely MUI).
-Generic Player Events (Instead of having to select player 1, then do player 2, etc.)

P

PVT_Morgan

alright, excelent answers guys, that's what i was looking for, most specificly darthfett's answer

again, i thank you for your time

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
above all i suggest checking Vex's link

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.