Question about Jass

P

PVT_Morgan

I have heard alot of good stuff about Jass, but I don't really understand. Could someone please explain to me exactly what the advantage to using Jass is? If it's worth it, I just might take the time to learn about it.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
if u dont take the time to use the search option for this biweekly asked question i doubt ull take the time to learn JASS

P

PVT_Morgan

i've looked through the Basic Jass tutorials, but I really don't see any big advantages to it, other than making it hard for other people to understand your triggers. I was just wondering if there was anyone who could explain in a solid, easy to understand way, what the benifits of Jass are. I've seen Jass triggers, and they make no sense at all.

P

PVT_Morgan

alright, i'll try the search function, i just looked through the tutorials thinking they would explain it...to the search bar

alright, searching came up with about five or six posts, and of them, this one is the one that explains it...

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30251&highlight=Jass+Advantages

now, according to this...once you get the hang of Jass, it's easier to edit, and it can reduce lag...are those the only advantages, or is there more?

P

Persen

PVT_Morgan said:
i've looked through the Basic Jass tutorials, but I really don't see any big advantages to it, other than making it hard for other people to understand your triggers. I was just wondering if there was anyone who could explain in a solid, easy to understand way, what the benifits of Jass are. I've seen Jass triggers, and they make no sense at all.
Really???

emjlr3

Reaction score
rofl....and GUI-> JASS looks even worse...very confusing IMO

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
ok here's my side-question: how to learn jass...how did you people learn it?
i read a couple of tutorials, learned the basics (syntax, some if and loop actions etc.) but what now? should i simply convert gui actions and learn jass that way...or perhaps there is something else i could read?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I learned by converting all of my GUI trigs to JASS and then reading tutorials and replacing all the messed up code with good JASS.

emjlr3

Reaction score
Rinpun said:
I learned by converting all of my GUI trigs to JASS and then reading tutorials and replacing all the messed up code with good JASS.

i'm with stupid...again...this seems to be one of the best ways i could find to do it, and others seem to feel the same way

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Rinpun said:
exacty what did you replace? the only thing i actually do is use a couple of locals, simplify conditions a bit and sometimes replace some bj...anything else i should have in mind?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
That's basically it. As you replace BJ you learn the core of the JASS language--knowing the crucial functions to replace the BJs with to make your code smaller.

emjlr3

Reaction score
also uneeded stuff, like make ur loops MUI, callfors, conditions, etc.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
JASS can do 100x more things that GUI can't do.

P

PVT_Morgan

Orc_Tamer said:
JASS can do 100x more things that GUI can't do.

that's the kind of answer i was looking for, but i was hoping i could get an example...what kind of things can it do that GUI can't? so far in my limited mapmaking experience, ive been able to do EVERYTHING i've needed to in GUI...granted, i've not yet made ungodly complex triggers or anything, but still...

and btw, i appreciate you guys's help

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
PVT_Morgan said:
that's the kind of answer i was looking for, but i was hoping i could get an example...what kind of things can it do that GUI can't? so far in my limited mapmaking experience, ive been able to do EVERYTHING i've needed to in GUI...granted, i've not yet made ungodly complex triggers or anything, but still...

and btw, i appreciate you guys's help
ok for example...without jass you couldn't fix memory leaks (using the custom script is still considered as jass).
using jass you can make triggered spells multi instancable (which means 2 units can cast one spell at the same time tnx to the local variables)
also gui usually pots lots of unneccesary crap which you can only see when you convert your trigger.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
The definitely greatest thing with JASS is basically a bug.
You can turn handles into integers...

Which allows for those "Caster Systems" (Handle Vars, whatever you want to call them) out there.
It's invaluable to be able to attach a variable or two to a unit, or trigger, or ...

Without, JASS would just be "just another simple scripting (language)".
Although, JASS really is your only option if you worry at all for maximum speed.
Since using the natives directly instead of using a function that calls a function that calls a function that returns a result...

The rest is a matter of taste.

FWIW, most of my maps are in GUI. (*)
I tend to only convert the spells to JASS, for the times multiple units are supposed to use them.
(Or when GUI simply can't do that spell any decently)
It's faster and safer.

I don't see much of a point with using a JASS "map init" trigger that sets a couple variables and gives all players a unit and some starting Gold.

Well, whatever floats your boat.

Yours,
AceHart

(*) yes, I'm fully aware I've yet to publish a map that would be hosted more than twice by the same person... :p

emjlr3

Reaction score
hey were working on that, if only all my time was not completely consumed...

anywho, with JASS you can create local triggers on the fly, timers for periodic movements, many additional functions, and another great thing is the ExecuteFunc native, invaluable...need more?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.