Question: Copied Toss Grenade Bugged

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
Hello,

I've copied the the ability Tychus - Toss Grenade's all objects as far as I know and replaced the model with Reapers D8 Charge. I'm trying to make my own ability, but with Reapers missile instead of Tychus.

Everything seems to work fine, but one thing:
Each time I start the map and use the ability the first time the explosion model doesn't show.
The second, third etc. times the explosion shows correct.

Does anyone recon this issue when you've been messing around in the Data Editor?
I've checked and compared a lot, but can't find anything wrong nor a logical reason to why this bug even occurs.

It's quite a wierd problem, I know. And I wouldn't be suprised if none had heard of it.

Edit: This only seem to happend when I change the Impact model to D8 Charge Attach Launch.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
It is interesting you mentioned that. I have a similar issue where I have modified the Rory Swan unit and given it a new weapon. The weapon is just a copy of the marine gauss rifle with modified damage. However when my new unit fires for the first time, there is no firing model attached to the unit (the model is one which shows "bullets" firing out the the unit's weapon). After the first time this weapon is used, everything works perfectly.

I think our issue (I think we are having the same problem) is caused by some actor events that are not copied across properly but that is about as far as I have gotten to finding a solution. It is not a massive issue for me so I was going to ignore it.

Mindless

Reaction score
Guys, guess what! This is amazing!

I'm having the exact same problem as you two. I created a ability that sends a bullet firing to a fixed distance with Polar Offset. I used the Guass Rifle (Damage) and Guass Rifle (Launch) Effects. When I use the ability for the first time, sometimes a white sphere will shoot out from my unit's gun, sometimes it won't have any effect at all.

I'm still frustrated with this problem as I've double checked all that I've done and found nothing wrong.

Anybody able to throw any light upon this? That would be helpful.

P.S. I'm new to the Data Editor and haven't understood a word of what Dave312 was saying about Actor Events. Can you explain a bit more? :)

Rainther

Reaction score
@Dave312:
Haha, I though I was alone with this kind of issue. I've been curious if it has something to do with the Actor Events, however I've copied all actors and looked up all the events identically.
My theory in my case is something to do with the Impact Map found in Actors -> Action -> Based on TychusTossGrenade (show all checked).
The visual bug only happens once I change the explosion in this setting.

@Mindless:
A white Sphere sounds more like the model doesn't exist.
Actor Events are used to bind models, sounds etc. to your abilities, units and so on.
You can for instance make an actor and have an event, for instance if you use an certain ability create the actor.

Sorry if I don't make sence. I'm still not 100% sure on how Actors works yet.

Arkless

Reaction score
It kind of sounds like the model isn't loaded into your grafics card on map init. It needs a small amount of time and might not appear while it's still loading.
I'd gladly check that if you provide one of those maps (they contain a file wich contains all the models that have to be loaded on init).

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
The model is not in my Preload.xml file. However I have used the exact same models as the ability I have duplicated my ability from (I only duplicated the weapon, actor and damage effect). So if the model wasn't being loaded on Map Initialization, then wouldn't the problem also occur for the standard marine weapon (of which I based my new weapon off)?

When I mentioned Actor Events earlier, I was referring to whether there would be some sort of event that preloaded the actor before it was created. Unfortunately I have had no such luck in finding something along these lines.

@Rainther:
The thing that gets me is that if it was something wrong in the Impact Map property (or something similar), then the issue should occur every time the weapon is fired, not just the first time.

EDIT: I just did a couple of tests where I used a trigger to preload the Actor and Model that was not appearing. In both cases, the issue still occurred. Usually when the game needs to load a model that has not already been loaded it results in lag. However I am not getting anything. It just seems as if the model is not meant to be created the first time the weapon is used.

Rainther

Reaction score
Bothersome!

People will notice this and consider ones map as faultful because of that.

I guess you could have a dummy throw the spell on Init to "solve" this problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.