Question on the importance of array variables

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
My map supports up to 4 players. All of these players can choose the same hero if they want to.

So my question is if is it strictly necessary to use array temp variables (fx. temp_point for a spell cast) when making spells, or if a normal variable will do?

Especially temp_points and temp_groups are of interest.

Solu9

Reaction score
Not necessary, if you use them correctly.

Alright I think I have enough knowledge to use them correctly :)

An elaborated question is; what if two players click the same ability at the exact moment? I know it will happen 1 in a million, but still.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
There is no possible way for things to happen at the exact moment. Things take turns to happen. Same goes to triggers. If you create a point variable and remove it later, the sequence of action will always occur accordingly.

So no worries on that part.

Imp Midna

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is not that easy that vypur want's you to belive. Surely, while your whole map consists of 2 spell effect triggers using no waits whatsoever, you will not run into any problems.

However, Triggers can become way more complex as your map grows. Let me tell you, i have a map that has grown disgustingly huge in terms of triggers, and the constant use of the same temp variables did in fact cause several bugs already due to me being inattentive when making certain triggers.

What is important for you is of course what might kill your temp variables, namely what can interrupt your trigger. There are three big things that can interrupt your triggers:
1: Waits. You know the problem about them already i assume, so i won't explain them.
2: Events. Sounds pretty general, and hell, it IS pretty general. Imagine you have a spell that creates an item and then automatically uses it on the target enemy. First of all, you spell effect trigger will be execute, creating the item. When the item is created, triggers that look on the create item event will be executed next. The execution then turns back to your main trigger that then issues your unit the order to use the item, triggering triggers using the issued order event. After they are all executed, your main trigger will continue and do potential cleanup.
That means, if ANY of the create item event or issued order event triggers use THE SAME temp variables as your spell trigger, the spell trigger will be broken. And if it's some temp variables like an int, you will have a hard time tracking it down.
3: Syncs. Any function that syncs the data of players with each other takes a waiting time, much like the wait action. Problem is that syncing actions are not marked in the GUI and you never know if you are currently using one of them. An example for this is the "Get Selection of Current Player" thing. These made me so paranoid that i actually opened a thread about them here somewhere, but they seem to be the minority of actions. Those functions are usually BJ functions as there is very limited use for sync natives in the GUI (in fact i don't even know how to use them correctly) so looking into the JASS implementation of the actions might tell you if it syncs or not (you can clearly see it in the example of the current player selection action).

Hope i made you some sort of paranoid, you will need it ;)

Solu9

Reaction score
Long post as usual :)

Nope I do not use waits at all. Though I have a single spell that uses "wait for condition" which I already have an idea for changing since I don't know if it will cause problems.

Actually for all of my spells which includes a temp (point, group) or reals I have made individual variables. (Fx. Fireball has Point_Fireball, Group_Fireball instead of Temp_Point and Temp_Group). All 4 players can choose the hero which can cast Fireball hence my original question.

For the sync I don't know if I use any functions which will cause that. My guess is no though.

thorhunter

Reaction score
2: Events. Sounds pretty general, and hell, it IS pretty general. Imagine you have a spell that creates an item and then automatically uses it on the target enemy. First of all, you spell effect trigger will be execute, creating the item. When the item is created, triggers that look on the create item event will be executed next. The execution then turns back to your main trigger that then issues your unit the order to use the item, triggering triggers using the issued order event. After they are all executed, your main trigger will continue and do potential cleanup.

Yes, I had some trouble with item creation, or to be certain, creating item for hero due to 'Hero aciquires item' event that I frequently used. I avoid these inconvinences by butting such 'harmful' actions at the very end of the trigger. It does the purpose most of the time, but the prolem is still there and remaind of it's existance at times.

Solu9

Reaction score
Hmm that might cause a problem later on. So far I have planed around 200 items with dummy items as power ups. So I guess around 400 really...

I am going to use the "Unit acquire an item" when a hero picks up a power up item and from that create the real item.

Edit: Never thought that would cause problems to be honest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.