Questions more or less retarded

roXplosive

Reaction score
1. I nearly dropped off my chair today when I loged in and there was writing veteran user WTF ? I only opened world editor a week and few days ago . Does that make me a veteran ?
2. How do people get the path and naming of special effects files ? Do you browse with windows explorer after then ? And if not how can you prewiev special effects animations ?
3. How can you play sounds ? I tried this :

JASS:
call PlaySound("..\\..\\Sounds\\Units\\NightElf\\ArcherPissed2.wav")

And you geussed it : it never worked .

Regards

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
1. It depends on how many posts you've made. It changes frequently the first 100-200 posts or so. (It doesn't mean anything. Sorry to burst your bubble.)

2. I get mine from the GUI action - 'Create Special Effect', search for the one I want, then convert it to custom text.

3. Sounds are evil..

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
Congratz a veteran user hehe ^^!
I am still in the jungle....

Anyway....I don't know if you have noticed but the worldeditor has a few
sub editors (so to speak) and as you've probably figured by now you go to Sound Editor(F5) just left of Object Editor (F6) and you play any sound you like.
About effects and their paths.. I do that: 1.Go to Object Editor/Abilities tab
2. Click on some ability and double click on Art - Special pick a model, click ok
then go back and click Edit Model not Add Model and you see the path for the model
Oh and you preview models in the window under the minimap in the worldeditor

roXplosive

Reaction score
About the forum I was just wondering and my editor main window was always covered up by a ton of other windows like trigger editor , object editor . At sound editor except finding the path , what the sound is like and how to make useless sound variables I didn;'t find anything . :))

jwallstone

Reaction score
To play sounds, you should open up the Sound Editor, find the sound you want, and click the "Use As Sound" button (looks like a speaker, fourth button from the left, next to "Save", it's also accessible from the File menu). Then it will appear in the right window pane. You'll see a Variable Name column, which you can change by double clicking. Then, to play it, just use the variable gg_snd_varname where varname is whatever you named it.

Also, instead of PlaySound, use StartSound(gg_snd_varname), since the game will automatically have created the Soundhandle already.

roXplosive

Reaction score
I have figured out the usage of the sound variables earlyer today but now I have another issue : Can I stop the sound effect of a special effect ? I will take the example of Holy Light named something like Effects\\Units\\Human\\Holy Bolt.??? . It makes the usual sound of holy light and I would like to use only the graphics in it .

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
You could try playing the holy light sound at 0% at the same time you create the effect. Sounds tend not to play twice at the same time so if you play it at 0% while its supposed to be playing at 100% it might get overwritten.

Just a theory.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i doubt that bob666777's idea will work (well maybe it will i dont know). the sounds are added to the effects and can only be removed by editing the model.

jwallstone

Reaction score
I think it might work actually. Just trigger it on Unit begins casting an ability, and it will be before any sounds from the model are played. If a sound is successively played, only the first will work until the sound duration has expired. The only way this wouldn't work is if model sounds can overlap.

One thing to take careful note of: You should figure out which channel the Holy light sound is in. Sounds are played in different channels, such as ambient, effects, unit sounds, etc, so sounds from different channels can overlap each other. You'll want to play around with this in order to block out the Holy Light sound, maybe by setting the zero-volume blocking sound to the abilities channel.

roXplosive

Reaction score
I was using it when a moving dummy unit "hits" and enemy . Aka is in 50 range and does some spell damage to it . I guess I will try the sound channel later today . Thanks a lot .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.