RAM slots

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
I have a dimension 9200 PC (vista), standard 1gig RAM, and have just bought two 1gig sticks of RAM and have placed them inside my comp (runs better).

It originally had just 1gig, as I just said, and had two 512mb sticks in slots 1 and 2 (I have 4 slots for RAM modules).
It now has a 1gig stick in slots 1 + 2, and the other 512mb sticks are in slots 3 + 4.

Now to the question:
Have I arranged the RAM modules correctly?
I understand that my comp has something "special" called "duel channeling".
So there it is - is each stick of RAM in the best place to fully optimize performance?

Thanks in advance.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
To simplify the installation, the slots have different colors. Just make sure that you plug the two modules of each size into the slots of same color.

Depending on your BIOS, you'll see a message like "RAM operating in Dual Channel mode" or similar on POST, telling you that they're installed correctly.

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
> Just make sure that you plug the two modules of each size into the slots of same color

Ok, cool, I made sure that I paired each size of RAM module into the appropriate slots when I first put them in.

> you'll see a message like "RAM operating in Dual Channel mode"

Hmm, didn't see/catch that. Is there any (easy) way to check?

Thanks for the reply.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Here's an example of such a POST message. Check your mainboard manual if your hardware provides this kind of information.

Tools like SiSoft Sandra and friends also tell you more about your installed memory. But as long as you installed the memory modules into the right slots, you're fine.

B

Bluewind

Run CPUZ and go to "memory" tab. Top right you have a field called Channels #.

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful links, and I'll just add a diagram of what my slots looked like before and after adding two 1gig sticks for reassurance:

BEFORE:
_______________________ [512MB]

AFTER:
_______________________ [1024MB]

_______________________ [1024MB]

So this should be correct?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.