Ray's Warning Making Tutorial

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Ray's Tutorial For making a Basic Warning System

A what system???

A warning system, its a system great for multiplayer maps. Mainly FPS, single hero campaigns which require more skill than luck, shooting games such as Counterstrike. I play counterstrike, and wait around the map, finnally see my friends engage in a gunfight, watch them, and suddenly DIE. so WTF? :eek: and i realised that theres this guy who sniped me from behind. You won't even realise it till ur dead. SO i came up with an easy manupulative sysytem, to warn players of

-Enemy withing range
-Enemy attacking you
-Hp below a certain amount

All this shall be toggleable, by players. They can prefer to have all of it, or only one, or none!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First off, lets make the basic trigger for damage, this is really, really simple.

Code:
[U]Events:[/U]
- <<unit>> Is attacked
[U]Conditions[/U]
(*[COLOR=DarkOrange]this section can vary alot, depending on your condtiions and everything,
 you can have options that affect player owned units only, or heroes etc[/COLOR])
[U]Actions[/U]
-fade in and out over 0.5 seconds using texture whitemask for <ur player**>,
-Play sound, (im not sure what its called, but use one of the light metal slices,
 without flesh, and set the pitch to max
I use metal slice because its short. Its only 0.35 seconds or so, perfect for this trigger)
-Camera-Shake screen for player 1 red with magnitude of (5 works fine)
-wait 0.4 seconds
-Camera-Stop shaking/swaying camera

Thats the trigger, for, a basic attack, warning system,
it works really, really well with stuff like a single hero, shooting game with shots and blah...
(picture halo)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Secondly, we will need a enemy-within-range trigger
This is my favourite trigger, its easily manupulable(?), anyone could change it to
anyrange, anycolour, or you could even do effects, like a little flash of light
above your character's head. But for now, ill just show the basic template.

Again, another simple one...
Code:
- A unit comes within 800 of <<unit>>
[U]Conditions[/U]
-(again, here you set your preferences, What player owned? Be creative, you could do, player blue enters-Blue screen, purp enters-purp screen)
[U]Actions[/U]
-SOUND-It would be kinda stupid to make your screen shake, i would suggest making a radar like sound, use the sounds from WC3, change the pitch, fade rate, sometimes, u might get something really awesome  :D
--fade in and out over 0.5 seconds using texture whitemask for <ur player**>, [COLOR=Green] yet again, be sure to change the colour!![/COLOR]

And our third set of triggers, HP below a certain amount warning, ever tried Halo? Most FPS, the real kind, has a warning system, in the case of halo, the screen flashes red, and beeps for a while, warning you to take cover. Well, this HP system will seek to sort of copy that system, don't start getting afraid, the trigger will be kept REALLY simple, but it will require a set of three triggers, I knwo its highly possible with one trigger, but it will involved more advanced triggers, and i want to keep this noob friendly ^^.

getting on with this...

Code:
TRIGGER ONE
- <<unit's>> HP becomes less than or equal to 150
[U]Conditions[/U]
-(Really, you don't need them, but up to you)
[U]Actions[/U]
-Turn On TRIGGER TWO
-Turn On TRIGGER Three
-Turn off this trigger

really, that doesn't do a crap, it just ensures that the flash doesn't happen ALL the time.

Code:
TRIGGER TWO
Periodic Game Event- Every 0.7 seconds (why 0.7 seconds? Too often really ticks me off, believe me, ive tried it. )
[U]Conditions[/U]
-(Really, you don't need them, but up to you)
[U]Actions[/U]
-Fadefilter yet again, this time with only 0.3 fade in/out
-Shake screen for player with Magnitude 5
-wait 0.2 seconds
-Stop shaking/swaying screen for player
-play (SOUND) get urself some bleeping sound...
Simple!, yes, this classic pokemon irritating HP beep is as simple as this, but we still need one more trigger to finish the cycle

Code:
TRIGGER THREE
-<<unit's>> HP becomes GREATER THAN(no equal) 150
[U]Conditions[/U]
-( for the last time...Really, you don't need them, but up to you)
[U]Actions[/U]
-turn off TRIGGER TWO
-turn on TRIGGER ONE
-Turn off this trigger
AND BAM. Three simple triggers with no more than five lines each, and you have a hp warning system, extrememly useful for RPGs, :D

TOGGLING

Now, to the toggling part, heres where it gets a little bit tricky, so pay attention :rolleyes: We have to have to turn off all the other triggers, inititally, off, so that these triggers will work.

So, we'll need one to TURN ON, the Attackdetector.
Code:
[U]Attack warned ON[/U]
    [U]Events[/U]
        Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing attackwarn as An exact match
    [U]Conditions[/U]
    [U]Actions[/U]
        Trigger - Turn on Warn attacked(whatever you name it) <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Attack warned OFF <gen>
        Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)

now, u must be wondering what this "warned attack" Thing is, its the trigger i made above for the attackwarning, way above, on theother side of the topic. :p Attack warn off, distinctly similar to this one,

Code:
[U]Attack warned OFF[/U]
    [U]Events[/U]
        Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing attackwarn as An exact match
    [U]Conditions[/U]
    [U]Actions[/U]
        Trigger - Turn off Warn attacked <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Attack warned ON <gen>

note the similarities? Well, this trigger should work. Eveyrthing is in order, and again, its a cycle. If your wondering about the range warning, do it yourself, its the same as the triggers for warned attack, no one will spoon feed u all the way. :D
This, although still kept simple, is the most "complex" ,lol, part of the toggling section. Now for the HP detection same thing again, but note...
Code:
HP warn OFF
    Events
        Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -hpwarn as An exact match
    Conditions
    Actions
        Trigger - Turn off Flashing <gen>
        Trigger - Turn off Hp low <gen>
        Trigger - Turn off Hp Backto normal <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on HP warn ON <gen>

Flashing, is the every (whatevertime) the flash and sound.
Hp low, is the one that detects whether your hp is lower than or equal to 150.(sound familiar?)
Hp back to normal is the one thats greater than 150.

I hope people who have created FPS games on warcraft will use some of these triggers, it really is quite useful. Halo games that when u get shot, a little blood spurts out and u keep moving just isn't realistic.

Well the triggers above might be simple, compared to the other tutorials out ther, but they are useful, and easily changable, and is a basis for many other systems.

please do not hesitate to ask me if you don't understand anything i say, or spot any errors.
<3 Hope you found this useful!!~Rayquaza218 :cool:

rayquaza218

Reaction score
No jass, i dunno whether thats good or bad :D :( but i confess, i do suck at JASS, well its noob friendly after all :D

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Does triggering really matter? So as long as it works, you don't really need advanced stuff right? And what do you mean by impressive, impressive to me,, is just works in game :D . Not a complicated mesh of stuff... :p but anyways, thanks for reading my tutorial :D

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
rayquaza218 said:
Does triggering really matter? So as long as it works, you don't really need advanced stuff right? And what do you mean by impressive, impressive to me,, is just works in game :D . Not a complicated mesh of stuff... :p
What I clap here is the try of a tutorial :)

1,800 post!!! w00t!!!

rayquaza218

Reaction score
<3 <3 <3 Thanks, yeah it IS my first tutorial, and i did it cuz i was so fed up with getting killed in WC3 Games cuz i was observing others lol, so if ur a map maker, plz,plz,plz put something like this is ur map :D <3 <3 <3

rayquaza218

Reaction score
No, you misunderstand me, i was just trying to say that complicated triggers isn't everything :D well actually, the system, qould it be better or worse if dialog boxes were used instead of chat messages?

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Will check back later, or tomorrow, its late now, will an admin please view this and approve/disapprove this? Thanks

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Yay! u brighten my day ragingspeed!!! Now i can sleep happily! And yes, this is kinda the first good thing of significance i did lol :p

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
It's a pretty nice tutorial. :p

Just try to get rid of some of the more annoying colors, like yellow, pink, purple, and teal.

Also, copy and paste the triggers. Although I can figure them out, other people might not have nearly as much experience, and they'll probably just ask more questions in other threads about "where to find this trigger", and things like that. :)

You also might want to make it so that if a unit dies, it will stop making the camera fade, and look like your dieing, when you're already dead. Just add the event Unit - A unit dies under the Unit - Unit's health becomes Greater than 150.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> will an admin please view this and approve/disapprove this?
in time, yes. don't worry though, TH sees all :p

anyway my oppinion...its generally a good idea, but adding stuff like warning messages should kind of be something like removing the melee trigger...as in its hard to forget doing it if the creator really wants to have them.

rayquaza218

Reaction score
I really, really apologize for not copy pasting the triggers, i tried my best to make it clearer by underlining the events, condition, and actions. I kinda did the tutorial on an outside com, and only at the last section did i use my own computer. Thanks for reading my tutorial! and sorry for the distracting colours :p . I shall update it when i get home, ill add at the bottom, exact triggers.

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Well, awaiting approval :D, will a GM please refer this to TH, to see whether he approves or not, many thanks!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.