Retribution Paladins

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Well, here is a thread on your thoughts on them. Why? Because I know a lot of people who are violently opposed to them.

Personally, I am switching Holy when I hit 70. Though I still couldn't imagine levelling Holy, or Prot for that matter - I think Retribution is the way to go for levelling and especially after 2.3 they can be a decent spec. A pally's goodness mixed with Retri goodness makes a good combination, in my way of thinking.

Why? Well, a ret paladin has 23% increased damage.

6% when using all 2h weapons
2% from Improved Santity Aura
15% when Vengence stacks (Which as a ret paladin, I can tell you early on every fight)

Then theres also 15% reduced stats on target (It's a chance on hit), which also happens a lot.

Then theres a second stun. Not to mention "Eye for an Eye", which is great for PvP.

There is also Pursuit of Justice, which is 15% faster run/mount speed. That is really good for lower levels, and still great in PvP. Being able to catch up to someone whos running is great.

I usually do top DPS in instances, though I guess you could argue it's because my gear is pretty decent for my level, or that they suck. PvP I can own solo, like 1 on 1 - But mostly because I'm a paladin, no so much my spec. Sometimes I find it great being Ret, especially when I own other Paladins that are Prot or Holy - But in BGs I can lack.

Well, I have to cut this post short. But please do comment with your thoughts about Retribution specced paladins.

At 70 you'll probably want to go Holy... But still, I have seen some good Ret pallies at 70.

Wish I could type more,
-Halo_king116

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Retri Paladins, they are very underpowered atm, and deserves a huge boost. Their damage is rather pathetic unless they have really, really good gear. But everyones dps are And in my opinion, all hybrid classes (shamans, druids, paladins mainly) are rather weak, and good for one thing healing. I seriously hope a buff for Retridins, Enhancement shamans and feral druids in 2.4.

They might sound powerful, but I see them more like free honor in the Battlegrounds. Can't come up with more atm :rolleyes: Good luck on leveling your Paladin.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
I'm a Ret Paladin myself and find it to be a far quicker way to level than the alternative choices for pally. They are weaker than the other classes but I don't want to be Ret forever. I plan on making the Holy switch as well.

I thought Pursuit of Justice was 3% faster.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Did that recently change or something? I'm pretty sure when I started my pally it was 1% per level with 3 ranks. Maybe I'm just crazy...

Cornface

Reaction score
Did that recently change or something? I'm pretty sure when I started my pally it was 1% per level with 3 ranks. Maybe I'm just crazy...

Pursuit of Justice (Rank 1/3)

Reduces the chance you'll be hit by spells by 1% and increases movement and mounted movement speed by 5%. This does not stack with other movement speed increasing effects.

Pursuit Of Justice

:rolleyes:

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Holy crap! How could I have misread it so badly for so long? :( I've passed it every time I started up my Paladin...

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Well yes, Cornface is correct. Although it was a bit lower before 2.3 (I believe that was the patch). It used to be two ranks of 4%, without the reduced chance of getting hit by spells.

Anyways, I couldn't imagine levelling Prot or Holy, at all. Maybe Prot if all I did was AoE grind, or Holy if all I did was instances... But it sill neglects good old solo questing, which can be both a curse and a blessing.

And kinda off topic, my main, who is the Ret Pally I am talking about, is now level 67. Huzzah! :D

Have a good one.

quraji

zap
Reaction score
In Outlands, I leveled up to 64 or so as Ret, before I decided to try the other specs. First I switched to Holy, which was slow for soloing, unless you can find a good pack of mobs to Concecrate/Heal spam, which was decent at times. Pretty fun healing instances though.

After a bit of that I went Protection, which was even worse for soloing as I remember, unless you found a really good spot to AoE grind, which was sort of rare (I remember AoE grinding the demons in Shadowmoon Valley, the ones with the two swords that cast the flame thing, and they were pretty good because they attacked so quickly). I stayed Protection though because it was loads of fun tanking instances.

I went Ret again for a bit so I could quest quickly, and I remember getting destroyed every time I tried to join a group.

Ex:
Someguy: LF DPS X instance
Me: I'll come, Ret pally.
Someguy: Sorry, we're looking for DPS

Depressing, really :(

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
There is a guy called Mafiastunner on my server.
I can beat him without him doing 1 point of damage.
What spec is he? A ret paladin.
Ret paladins are seriusly lacking , both PVP and PVE wise. NO RET pallys are allowed to raid ( in any of the guilds with good pogress on my server ). Also have not seen a Ret pally in a good arena lineup either.
Your pretty much a tank or a healer.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Ha, I played a holy paladin all the way to level 53 before I respeced. I had decent gear so I leveled just as fast. (PRE BC).

Aand hell_knight, I am sure the guy you dueled either does not know what he is doing, or lagging really bad. There is now way he could not even hit you. Also what class are you?

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
I guess ret is a solo class...

But it still bugs me that people say that ret sucks and yet in so many cases I prove myself much better than those at my level. It is so stupid that I hear it so much yet when I play, I can't see myself sucking. Of course, at 70 I am being a Heal Bot still. I was Holy until level 52 or so, so my opinion can't be TOO biased.

When I do instances, I am either really close to top or I am top (Assuming they're around my level). I once did an instance with some decent geared 70s (Only healer/tank was fully epics, but others still much better geared than a level 68). This instance was Shadowlabs. There was a 70 Fury Warrior and a 70 Hunter as DPS. I came second DPS by 2% under the hunter (including pet) and had a 34% crit chance.

Then, in duels, I own up the place (Except hunters - I hate hunters). I mean, for me atleast I do good damage and get lots of crits. If I start to die, I stun then heal. If they get out that, I stun with my second stun then heal. If that fails too, I still have bubble. If they are healers I save stuns and go to bubble, and if they try to heal as I heal I stop (Or finish heal), stun them, and then heal. Purify to take off DOTs that aren't Curses or Blood, Blessing of Freedom to help me keep up with them. Judgement of Justice so they can't run off as a druid and heal, and Hammer of Wrath for last second pwn. Most of the time I wouldn't have to bubble.

Of course, Holy Pallies have half this - But they hit lightly except Consecration and Holy Shock (Ugh) - Even weaker where I am, pre-70. I know how some people can see us as weak. Trust me - I have seen "LAWLRet DPS"... But not on myself. :eek:

I can beat him without him doing 1 point of damage.

What kinda person is he, a level 70 with white gear? A few greens? Maybe not even 70? A 6 year old?

Even if Ret pallies were THAT underpowered, I find this hard to believe. No damage? Come on, he can't be someone you can reference as any class. You can call him anything but a WoW player if he can't even hit you once. Maybe you had him stun locked? Even so, unless he had 2k health, he'd still damage you some or BoP/bubble then hit you with judgement and consecration or something, depending on which.

I have not heard of many respectable Ret Pallies at level 70. But I haven't found Ret Pallies any easier to kill in BGs or duels. Prot can't hit for anything when they duel, though they take a while to kill.

Maybe I'm a tad defensive. But what I say about my experiences are true, I don't make up stuff about when I own duels or instance Damage Meters.

(Like today I did Durn, came second DPS first run, first DPS second run)

Btw, 11 bars to 70. :D

Cornface

Reaction score
Well, I can't say for the levels underneath 70, but if you compare a Ret Paladin to a pure dps class, for example Warlock or Rogue, these shine a lot more in arena.

And I find Retri more gear dependant than other classes. I remember doing Arcatraz rather long ago with a medium-geared group. We had this Ret Paladin with full blue gear. She did pathatic dps, maybe she just sucked, maybe it was the gear. I can't really tell much else about ret paladins in PvE, as they are so few and I only played Arca with them once. But in PvP/Arena, they don't stand much of a chance vs a pure dps class.

Oh, grats to 70. Looks like I have to rush to school now. Test in WW2 :rolleyes:

S

Shockna

Holy for healing/raiding

Prot for stealing my potential jobs

Ret for farming.

My Paladin at 70 will be Holy/Ret, with maybe a little Prot.

Prot Paladins annoy me though. >_>

Too many are arrogant and hate all Warriors on my server.

Oninuva

Reaction score
Prot Paladins own all. :) AoE Grinding, almost as good as mage but way easier.

Out of Topic: I beat a level 44 mage without her ever hitting my dr00d. I won the next 3 duels, then she used Ice Shield talent and I got gg'd.

Cornface

Reaction score
Prot Paladins own all. :) AoE Grinding, almost as good as mage but way easier.

Out of Topic: I beat a level 44 mage without her ever hitting my dr00d. I won the next 3 duels, then she used Ice Shield talent and I got gg'd.

Just curious, what level were you, what specc were you? What specc was the mage. If the mage was frost, and you were feral, I would say the mage sucked rather hard.

And I do agree with Prot palas kick ass in the Solo PvE part. :p but they are rather useless in PvP, which is rather sad, because most hybrid dps classes suck in PvP.

Oninuva

Reaction score
I was level 44 feral dr00d with decent gear. After I lost a few times, I got mad so I started boom boom boom and she dies :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.