Minigame Robot Christmas -|Map of the Week #6|

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
In this Christmas themed map you control which units are trained, and where factories go. That's it. Everything else is handled by the surprisingly-fun-to-watch bot AI.

The reason the AI is fun to watch is because the individual bots follow very simple rules, but work together to get tasks done. Bots never look further than 600 distance away, but still need to find their way to trees, enemies, and back to base. A lone bot rarely finds it's way back to base, and dies in the wilderness.

Luckily, you aren't dealing with a single bot. Bots will blink certain colors to alert nearby bots of things they can't see. For example, when a bot can't find the base, it will blink blue. Nearby bots will then also blink blue, unless they are near the base, in which case they blink yellow, and other bots will see that yellow blink and blink yellow. When a lost bot sees a yellow blink, it heads towards it.

Just be careful: if you expand too much into a single area, you'll clear-cut the whole thing, and trees only grow by other trees.

The map also showcases me abusing the hell out of Decal, and can support up to 150 bots per player [but that can be quite hard on the cpu].

[edit: the author box is set to DGriff, I adapted this from a map of his, but there's really next to nothing left of it.]

Attachments

• Robot Christmas.w3x
    128.7 KB · Views: 329

DrEvil

FCRI Associate!
Reaction score
How could my Warcraft be any different than yours?

Weird computer...
- I made a map , most of my friends could play it , but when my other friend did , he got fatal errors .

But i told him its his , WE because it doesnt give anybody else fatal errors.

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
I played it before posting it, so I know it doesn't crash everyone. It's not protected or anything, which makes it all the stranger.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
It worked fine for me too. Maybe it doesn't work for Macs, I've heard things like that before?

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
In any case I'm more interested in discussion about the map itself, not errors leading to it.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
In any case I'm more interested in discussion about the map itself, not errors leading to it.

I thought the trees grew to fast, it got really annoying having to chop down so many trees to reach an enemy.

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
I thought the trees grew to fast, it got really annoying having to chop down so many trees to reach an enemy.

Getting the rate right is actually quite hard. If it's too low you raze the whole map in no time at all. I always win because my opponent has clear-cut their entire section and I still have my corner feeding me.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
Getting the rate right is actually quite hard. If it's too low you raze the whole map in no time at all. I always win because my opponent has clear-cut their entire section and I still have my corner feeding me.

Nobody said it would be easy, but I thought it was to high... maybe have it so that host can choose the growth rate at the start?

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Wow, an amazenly easy to understand and play game, yet fun.
No errors (vista 64bit, 6gigs of ram, 6800graphics)

This game could be unnatually fun if expanded upon; however more AI would have to be added (an agressive AI that hunts down enemy units, for example. Maybe this is in it)

I highly recommend expanding upon this map if you had any reconsiderations. If action was put up a speck, I would definetly host this on bnet.

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
Here's the error I get with I click over the map and when I try to open it.

Not enought storage is available to process this command.

Program: My worldedit.exe
File: .\SFile.cpp
Line: 4072

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I absolutely love these kind of witty maps!

Controlling your economy and leaving the dirty job to the machines is fun...

Congratulations, this is the Map of the Week #6!

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Recycle and Elfbot have same hotkey. This annoyed me when I was trying to SELL elfbots, and instead I made more! The computer AI sucks (the one controls building units for enemies) =(. Also, I didn't win when all the comps died!

I think it’s a little too slow going. It advanced quickly at the start, then got too a little bit of a stand still. Then, I quickly got max units so I couldn't build anymore, and the game couldn't advance AT ALL, because I had everything I could get! There needs to be more types of units, upgrades, and buildings to fix that.

I also think the map should be bigger (Not by tons, but some) but you should still start the same amount close together.

Btw, how to you make firebots destroy trees?

It seems like it is suppose to just be a simulation, where you watch the robots. But it has a great potential to be a strategy map at the same time, which I think you should do. Also, since there were only a few units, the simulation got boring pretty fast. This was because there wasn't enough different types of units with different uses, so once you saw how the robots worked together it was boring.

As for the units AI, they seemed to blink when they didn't need to, respond slowly to blinks (or not at all) some times. Still, they worked often enough to be fun.

I might have criticized your map a lot, but that doesn't mean I thought it was bad, it just could improve a lot!

EDIT: Some unit suggestions..

The Jockbot is a good base defender, but I think you should add a more aggressive bot that looks for other players to attack. I think it would be good to have a zeppelin that carries units over trees, too, but that might be too hard to make right..

There should be more buildings for sure, I think.

It would be cool if there was a bot that automatically made a much weaker lumber drop-off point that could heal a small amount like an engineer. As long as it built far enough away from other bases, and wasn't too strong. That would probably only work on a bigger map like I said, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.