Runed Bracer Problem

chukky-jr

Reaction score
so i'm making an aura which reduces Magic Resistance of enemy that goes inside the aura

the problem is, it is based on adding Runed Bracer to unit under the aura, i tried making a unit with innate 100% Magic Resistance (1.00) based on Runed Bracer for some testing, and when i cast any damaging spell on that unit it kills them instantly if it is under the aura, the Magic Reduction from aura is only 20% (-0.20), so if it followed normal math it only still has 100-20= 80% Magic Resistance, but i don't get why that unit instantly died, i tried the aura with other unit without innate Runed Bracer ability, and it works fine, does adding Runed Bracer to a unit that already has Runed Bracer ability cause bugs?

any ideas why that unit died? anyone knows how to fix this?

chukky-jr

Reaction score
^thank you, please post your result since i want to know if i'm the one making fault here

maybe that skills does work but opposite way?
i dunno just try it, what unit was it exactly

it was a hero and a unit, i double checked to make sure that my trigger wasn't the wrong one, and i conclude Runed Bracer has stacking issues, i know it is Runed Bracer's problem since i tried to have a unit with 100% Magic Resistance through it, it works just fine, but then when i add another Runed Bracer base ability (any value that increase Magic damage taken, even if only 1%), it instantly kills the unit, the unit only has 100 HP, to make sure damage can be precisely calculated

i moved to Elune's Grace and it stacks just fine

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
Unless something changed runed bracer does not have stacking issues, i believe it is supposed to be a negative value, and positives increase the damage dealt by magic, but thats purely based on memory after about 6 months off wc3, it could be that when you have the normal 100% on there it deals double damage, but the unit lives, then when you add another it drastically increases the damage from there, make sure to test it thoroughly before you come to a conclusion like that, if you did, then i guess you are right

chukky-jr

Reaction score
Unless something changed runed bracer does not have stacking issues, i believe it is supposed to be a negative value, and positives increase the damage dealt by magic, but thats purely based on memory after about 6 months off wc3, it could be that when you have the normal 100% on there it deals double damage, but the unit lives, then when you add another it drastically increases the damage from there, make sure to test it thoroughly before you come to a conclusion like that, if you did, then i guess you are right

uhh negative increase magic damage, and positive reduce magic damage, the field is called 'Damage Reduction' after all (well i did enter 1.00 and that unit doesn't take damage at all). i did test with Runed Bracer 99% resistance, it deals 1 damage, then i add Elune's Grace that increase magic damage by 100%, then damage goes to 2 it is normal isn't it? (test spell deals 100 damage btw)

but when i add Runed Bracer with negative value (anything even -1%), bam instant death

a bit off topic, but it seems like Runed Bracer, Elune's Grace, and Hardened Skin also has stacking issues, i tried a unit to have 100% Magic and Physical resistance, none of the above combination worked, adding one by one allows to have either 100% Magic or Physical resistance but adding both will always reset Magic Resistance to default while Physical Reduction from Hardened Skin works normally (or maybe i'm missing something).

GFreak45

Reaction score
thats odd, based on the blizzard description of the runed bracer they should stack, and i believe past experience as well, but dont quote me on it :/

chukky-jr

Reaction score
oh yeah, the spell used to test is Storm Bolt and Thunder Clap

btw does Storm Bolt has 2 damage instance? this might be a bit related to the issue

GFreak45

Reaction score
I always wondered the same thing... it sounds like it hits twice, but it looks like 1 dmg instance, you could test it out with 2 units and a relatively simple trigger
Trigger:
  • Double Damage Detection
    • Events
      • X takes damage (X is a specific unit, without storm bolt)
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (Conditions) Then (Actions) Else (Actions)
        • If (Conditions)
          • RecentlyAttacked is equal to true
        • Then (Actions)
          • Game - Game message that reads: 2 Damage Instances
          • Set RecentlyAttacked = false
        • Else (Actions)
          • Set RecentlyAttacked = true
          • Wait 3.00 seconds
          • Set RecentlyAttacked = false

chukky-jr

Reaction score
^i did test but w/o that, it does have 2 damage instance, one for placing debuff which is 0 damage instance (comes first), and one is the actual damage, but after further testing it isn't related to my Runed Bracer stacking problem, i'll post if i have any more info about this stacking issue (to deny/confirm if Runed Bracer does have stacking issues)

chukky-jr

Reaction score
you meant adding 2 instance of Runed Bracer works just fine? (negative values), can i see a test map?

well there might be an error in my part since the map already has several triggers, but none of which involves adding/removing Runed Bracer except one trigger

deathforge

Reaction score
i try not to change items/skills/spells much as this always causes trouble, expecially when makin heroes

dianamod27

Reaction score
Okay, I tested it by giving a unit both a 1.00 runed bracer ability and a -0.20 runed bracer ability and whichever ability was first in the list in the Abilities field in the object editor was the one that worked. I.e. if the unit had 1. 100% reduction and 2. -20% reduction, it did 0 damage, and vice versa did 20% additional damage. The ability definitely does not stack so you'll probably have to make multiple versions and remove the 100% one and add an 80% one on a certain unit, for example.

I used holy light on an undead unit for this since level 1 of that spell does 100 damage to undead units.

GFreak45

Reaction score
well that depends on if it stacks multiplicatively, ie: 100% reduction means 0%, 20% increase means 120%, so 0% * 120% = ???... 0%, check it with options that will work with multiplicative ratios

chukky-jr

Reaction score
^i'm not sure if that's how the multiplication works, in fact i don't know how magic resistance stacking works, but i believe the formula is the same with every magic resistance stacks (cmiiw, from DotA site)

dianamod27's result explain why my test instantly killed a unit, 100 HP unit has 100% MR and a target of 100 Damage Storm Bolt, then i add -1% MR to that unit causing Storm Bolt damage to become 101, thus killing the unit instantly

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.