Scanning tips

Red Beard

Part-Time helper.... Full Time Lurker
Reaction score
Port Ahoy!

So, as the year is closing fast, I have an innumerable amount of assignments to complete.

After much looting and pillaging, I have aquired some documents that could save me some time.

Only they are in document form, and I would like them to be loaded into the computer for editing.

Have you guys got any tips, on scanning documents for wordprocessing edits?

or is it just so simple I am missing it?

Sargon

Reaction score
Don't scanners have the ability to recognize text?

Red Beard

Reaction score
do they?

heheh :eek:

hmmmm

maybe i just need to fiddle around with it a bit more rather than being impatient

Well......

This is what it came up with...

Quastion 7
Felatc a$ratic life to oquotic chcnistrl. Consider tha folfowing; dltotn0phic
orgnnisns, prodrrcers, hetcrotrophic ongcnisrns. d?ComposGr3, eutnophiG0ti0n,
diisolvcd oxlgcn ond biologicol oxygcn dcmsnd'

When it should read

Question 7
Relate aquatic life to aquatic chemistry. Consider the following; autotophic organisms, producers, heterotrophic organisms, decomposers, eutrophication, dissolved oxygen and biological oxygen demand.

Bloody spell checker doesnt want to work with me on this either.

So much for saving time.

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
While posed as a computer question, cheating of any form is not supported here and what you are doing with the knowledge gained from answers here is plagiarism (sp?).

Red Beard

Reaction score
Wait a minute!

Cheating?

Where did i mention cheating?

Oh i see now.

For official notice. I am NOT plagerising anything, the lingo i used is when I am in Red Beard mode. A simple peruse through a large number of my posts will demonstrate that.

The 'documents' are hand written by myself, and answered by myself.

The reason they are in handwritten form is due to the fact that I answered these assignments in the public reference library, which was the only place that I could use the required subject texts. (unless I bought the ridiculous things at even more ridiculous prices)

I did not use the computers provided there for a good many reasons, which I will list if you would like.
  • Desk space. The space provided at the computer area, is too small a workplace for several large and cumbersome books, which require a large amount of page flipping.
  • Time constraints. To indiviually source the required texts, would involve too much wasted momentum, of getting up and down, in and out. Like I had stated, the end is near, and I needed this done fast.
  • Access problems. Our libraries dont have copies, and there are quite a few other people in a similar predicament to myself. Furthermore I study my course through correspondance, access to these facilities is a rare opportunity, and a big deal.
  • Money Costs. To copy/scan all the required information from the texts would cost me money that i can cannot spare.

So in my opinion it was easier to sit at a very large table and write things out with my hand, with the intention of scanning it in so i can email my assignments in. My handwriting is poorish, and the questions are answered in a very haphazard format, lacking both the required structure and decent presentability.

Rewriting the assignments was not an option i cared for. I had decided on scanning my answers in and doing it the 'easy' way. Though in truth, it was proved more cumbersome than i care for.

I do not begrudge your post, nor the accusation behind it. I feel I have enlightened you and any potential further readers to the truth. I apologise for the use of my lingo, and furthurmore declare my innocence.

In my opinion the matter is dealt with, (apologies not necessary). I am most certainly would have thought the same way if I were in your position.

The question still stands however, is there a decent way, or program that can effectively turn handwritten text into document form with minimal transcription errors

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
Most OCR software is only about 97 to 99% on printed text being scanned back in, so you're not likely to find much of anything to do it for handwritten text with any decent accuracy unless your handwriting resembles what comes from a typewriter.

Red Beard

Reaction score
Ah, poop.

Right, well it a few spell checks, and an observant eye is all i can hope for then.

Thanks anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.