[Sci/Tech] Men No Longer Needed to Create Sperm

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Scientists at the University of Newcastle have managed to create human sperm cells using a female embryonic stem cell.

The researchers, led by Prof Karim Nayernia, had previously created primitive sperm cells from male bone marrow. They’re currently working on making the cells from female bone marrow, which would be much easier and more practical than creating them from embryos.

The creation means that lesbian couples could soon have children that shared the DNA of both women, rather than having one male biological father. A sperm cell created from one partner could fertilize her partner’s egg.

There is some question about whether a sperm cell created from a female could produce viable, healthy offspring. The human female sperm cells could not in their current state produce offspring as they do not have the correct amount of genetic material. The team must next have the cells undergo meiosis to make sure the cells have the correct amount of genetic material.

Read the whole story here.

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
damn us men need to learn som new talents it seems like, i suggest baking lessons and croutcheting on tuesdays, we must impress these women, it won't be long till they get with there best friends and jsut have the'r own kids without us!

but on a serious not, that's pretty damn sweet lesbian women all over america will soon rejoice.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
I guess the retail market for sperm will crash... but, I'm not too worried :)

EDIT: typo

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
Reaction score
Hahaha. We're going to take over the world. Send all you guys to the moon.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Holy crap. Does this mean men are officially "obsolete"? I mean, if they can create our sperm, do women really even need us anymore?

On a side-note: Why in the hell were they trying to make sperm?

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Well, it took some diggingg. But I found it.

20071002.gif

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Maybe because they did it out of curiosity?

"Hmm... I wonder how men created sperms."
"Hey, maybe it could be done the same way with women!"
"Research-research-research..."

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Women are NOT meant to create sperm. It's unnatural. Sex is supposed to happen between MEN AND WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! It's how babies are SUPPOSED to be made.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Women are NOT meant to create sperm. It's unnatural. Sex is supposed to happen between MEN AND WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! It's how babies are SUPPOSED to be made.

If that's how it's "SUPPOSED!!!OMG!" to happen, then why isn't it happening like that?...

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
Reaction score

Know what else is unnatural? Blind, ignorant belief. Know how we define "Natural?"

"existing in or formed by nature (as opposed to artificial)."

Yea. Pretty much, everything humans do is natural, because we're part of the natural world. A gopher digs a burrow in the ground, we call it natural. A bird builds a nest, we call it natural. A human builds a home, we call it unnatural. Inconsistencies much?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
It's not that bad... I mean, they will not ALL go lesbian just cause they can make your own babies.

I wonder what will happen to character traits and genes. Since some of them come from guys... yeah... :(

Well, if women were created through a man's rib, women return us the favor? :p

Next Headline: Ovaries created from men.

Or whatever role women take in having babies... besides the whole 9 months pregnancy part.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Guys, stop freaking out about this. It will never change anything, but it will show loads of hope for Lesbian couples that had to rely on sperm donors for artificial insemination. Now it can be more personal.

Just because they can, doesn't mean they won't. Not to mention the price of it. :p

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
Guys, stop freaking out about this. It will never change anything, but it will show loads of hope for Lesbian couples that had to rely on sperm donors for artificial insemination. Now it can be more personal.

Just because they can, doesn't mean they won't. Not to mention the price of it. :p

and the fact that when they performed the test on rats that the mother gave birth to 7, 1 died and the other 6 had health problems...

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
oooh noo this will make alot of lesbian relationships, and then there isn't enough ladies !!!! :eek:

J

jakemkay

wow...thats just wrong. can u say genetic mutation in baby?

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> oooh noo this will make alot of lesbian relationships, and then there isn't enough ladies !!!!

No. That will not change anyone's emotions, the number of lesbians will stay as it is, simply more of them could have children.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.