Sci/Tech Should the Internet Be a Utility?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Our nation's high-speed internet is in the hands of just a few private companies that act, in many regions, like monopolies. That's indisputable. But while it's easy to attack the monopoly part, should we be focusing on private? Is the internet such an ingrained part of existence at this point that it should be considered—and regulated as—a public utility?

That question is raised convincingly in a Bloomberg piece last week detailing how, as a modern day internet customer, you invariably end up paying more for less. And before you dismiss the notion of redefining how the internet is distributed, remember that electricity was once seen as a luxury, in the hands of private businesses and accessible only to the wealthy. You shouldn't have to use dial-up any more than you should light your house with candles.

So what do you think? Make high-speed internet every bit as universally accessible and affordable as water, gas and electricity? Or is the need to check your Facebook status nowhere near the same ballpark as the need to flush your toilet?

Source.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely not. The minute you make the Internet a Utility and regulate it like that you remove all competition and all innovation will go out the window. They say in this article that the companies are acting like monopolies. Make it a Utility and it will be a Monopoly.

warcraft7

Reaction score
innovation?...The Last time there was innovation it was google calling out the companies on their data limits...

Probably not...i don't want the government knowing whats in my fap folder easier.

Although faster internet would be nice...Google fiber save me!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
water gas and electrical powerplants are owned ny private companies over here too.

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
Give all government funding for proposed internet plans to google
???
profit

warcraft7

Reaction score
Give all government funding for proposed internet plans to google
???
profit
I think google came up with 4.3Billion to network the nation...just have everyone pitch in! Or one of those rich people could just invest in it and get returns slowly but surely as google takes over all over the internet sales.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.