RPG Sins

Teach101

Reaction score
I think I forgot to mention this: Spells don't cost mana just time and cooldown. I may add a individual rage system or something for warriors and such. But I want warriors to be weak against things they would normally be weak against, such as a ghost attacking draining mana instead of health. While casters would get a advantage against such a creature.

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
Oh ok then... but then whats the point of mana other then to be another way to kill you?

Teach101

Reaction score
It's life force. Chi user or w/e I named him will be targeting your chi in his class traits and regular attacks. So he is a ideal warrior against targets with high hp and low mp. There is also the necromancer and other summon spells that will have you channeling your mp into your units to keep them alive as they constantly lose mp. More mp you give them, the stronger they are.

Teach101

Reaction score
I have almost finished typing act II, and after I finish it tomorrow I will go back and add the fight scene to act I.

Teach101

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to add a poll to this?

The poll would say:
Would you prefer this as a Campaign
Or a Multiplayer

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Not sure how to make a poll but I vote multiplayer. All multiplayer games can be played single player as a campaign and difficulty of creeps can easily be scaled to how many players there are. Also, this means one map where a campaign can mean many

Teach101

Reaction score
Yeah. The only thing I like better about campaigns would be how I could make the game play.
Terrain would be made way better as well.

--update--

I added the prologue to act II
I have most of Act II typed, I'm just having a troublesome time of ending it, it's like 2-3 times as long as Act I was.

Zwiebelchen

Reaction score
Hmm, I think your story is very special and unique. Uncommon for those rpgs out there.

I would totally recommend making it a single player RPG instead of multi, for the following reasons:

- Multiplayer RPGs are not suited for storytelling ... even if you cut out the mmo part of the multiplayer and make it simple linear co-op, it would not be the same
- Multiplayer RPGs are not suited for 3rd person cams because of the laggy controls - depending on the quality of terrain and the atmosphere of your map, you might consider making it 3rd person
- The dying community will make it hard to develope a multiplayer RPG on your own - unless you have a large and disciplined team, you should stick with a singleplayer map for faster developement
- There are very few quality singleplayer rpgs out there, making it a niché map
- Creating a single player rpg is better suited for a chapter-orientated game ... You could make one map for every Sin and import all the stuff you want in it without having to keep the 8 mb limit in mind

and difficulty of creeps can easily be scaled to how many players there are
Difficulty is way more than just adding HP and damage to a mob. If you do it that way, your rpg will definitely suck on multi.

Teach101

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back.
I was planning on adding hp, dmg, and buff the spell dmgs of units depending on the top level player, then giving lower level players the appropiate buffs.
And for the maps, I could make everything generated. Just make buildings b4 hand and have a trigger putting blah and blah as blah in a hashtable, then having them load where I want em. But that's kinda confusing.
I will probably make it single player, then mutliplayer if I get enuf requests and stuff. (Single player would be faster to make and can be adapted to mutli easy enuf.) I don't like the idea of having people download a map bigger then 8mb anyways. ^.^

KiwiClint

Reaction score
Hehe, of course why I was so intent on finding out exactly if this was multiplayer or solo earlier was because I thought this map sounded great just being solo. Finding good solo maps is really hard, especially campaign-type-rpg ones. Multiplayer is not only harder to make but also they can be harder to play...So I would agree and say make it solo, then maybe make a multiplayer version if you've got enough time ;P

Teach101

Reaction score
Kay anyways, I probably wont release a beta by the end of Christmas break. I release everything as I go.
I wish to make the campaign with these maps: (This is subject to change)

- Main City
- Other city
- Act 1
- Act 2
- Act 3
- Act 4
- Act 5
- Act 6
- Act 7
- Last Act
- Land 1
- Land 2
- Land 3

Land 1-3 are content that I will add on eventually to the main game. This content will basicly be free play in a free world, where you make choices that effect you from start to finish, and you can find artifacts/items/quests/Units/Bosses/Towns.

After I do land 1-3 I may add more land. Who knows?

I plan on working on the lore/monsters/crafting/skills/classes/ext. tonight and tomorrow before making any terrain. I should be able to get a lot of this done in the next week though. There will be many systems, since this is single player, such as mass determining knock back and Ai picking up rocks and throwing them at you. I have also decided not to make this a hack n slash or action rpg, because of certain things. But I will try to get enemy archers with it, so I can slow down the projectile speed.

--Edit--
Any comments on the lore and any spell suggestions are highly valued. Thanks.

Teach101

Reaction score
Bump

Also, if any one can give me a crash course on the campaign editor for sharing data between maps, that would be great. I have read a lot of tutorials and still don't get how to make all the maps share the object data and imports. (I know about the object tab in the CE, but how do I refer to the data in that on the map object editor?)

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
Ah so u've decided to make it a campaign instead of multiplayer? i think thats a good move on our part and i love the idea of extra content but it might not be worth it unless you can find a way to make each extra uniqe and not just different terrain, new systems and skills would be a must and proabaly an expansion on the characters maybe even a new (smaller) story to go along with it to keep people intrested and then after awhile you could make a map which people would use their campaign character to fight other's campaign characters. but it might be hard to include players who've never played the campaign

edit--

i dont know if you've looked at this yet but it seems like a good source for campaigns
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98782&highlight=campaign+editor

Joccaren

Reaction score
Just checked that link. I found one error (Caused by the 1.24 patch(There may also be more errors, couldn't be bothered looking for them as they'd (Hopefully) be small and unnoticable) and I also have an answer to the question of how do I get the object data from one of my maps to the next, which that doesn't tell you.

1: The Error. That tutorial uses the action 'Save Game Cache' which no longer exists in GUI. I'm telling you not to bother looking for it but to use its JASS text, just in case you didn't already know.

2. Solution to object data problem. Go to the 'file' tab of your world editor and choose 'Export all object data'. Go to all the other maps and import the data file you just created using the 'import all object data' option in the 'file' tab.

Teach101

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I thought putting everything in a campaign thingy made the campaign file smaller because it shared the same content instead of reloading it for every map? And do none of the game caches categories work now? Or can I do what I want with the game cache in gui then save the gamecache in a jass custom script?

@sajin --- Yeah, I was planning on adding new content and such to the addons as well. I plan on the systems staying the same though. Cause if I add systems to it, then I might as well add them to the other maps as well. ^.^ After I make the maps without the addons, I will see what level most heroes end up on and add content based on that. All spells will be usable and generated randomly on to unit deaths, ofc I may update the other campaigns with the spells as well. All spells will be have a dmg scale dealing with attributes so that players can get this and that as they want and make their classes up. (Someone who picks the body hero but puts points into intellect and gets magic spells/healing spells would not be considered a Warrior but a paladin or magic swordsmen.)

Teach101

Reaction score
Bump

Disregard the campaign questions, for some reason everything is happening as it should unlike before. Quite weird.

-edit-

I still want to hear more about what you were saying about the game cache though.

Joccaren

Reaction score
All but the 'Save Game Cache' actions are still in GUI, the 'Save Game Cache' action however has been removed and is only accessible in JASS.

Teach101

Reaction score
Care to give me the custom script, so that this measly peon does not have to search for it? ^^

Joccaren

Reaction score
call SaveGameCacheBJ( GetLastCreatedGameCacheBJ() )

The ( GetLastCreatedGameCacheBJ() is where you put the game cache variable, but I think you know that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.