Some friendly ranting

Advena

Just casually observing atm ;)
Reaction score
Hi!
I think there are quite a few people in here who would benefit from reading my post in the thread I have linked to here below.

>>to the thread<<
(post #5)

And sorry for this not being about a project, but please don't move it if you think it can be avoided.
Thanks for reading :)

//Advena

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree, but why post it here?

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
I agree too - and it's posted here to get attention. I think the message of the actual comment itself is relevant to all threads and in a sense, almost all things.

If people don't get pulled into ideas, or don't have the name/reputation to get pulled into ideas, people just aren't going to read into things. It's a truth, and in many cases, not necessarily a "sad" truth, per se. It's called "TheHelper.net" but some people abuse the privledge of assistance from others.

Moving farther into it, there is probably a fair percentage of threads on this site, especially under the "help" section, that shouldn't even exist, because they are repeats.

Thread Lead Post: How do I achieve X?
Second Post: Link

People that have been here a long time know the difference between people and can weed out those who would rather be helped than actually make someone else's day better with friendly pointers... I'm not sure where I honestly fit into that spectrum because, well, I kinda disappeared for 3 years after being the guy who comes on, asks a question, and vamousses. I'm working on it, though.

Anyways, because of that spectrum, some people have a reputation that might not even be adequately portrayed in their "rep" and because of that, there is a waning interest in the projects of those who might not be contributors. Ba-zam.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
question... of all places... why here? Members projects gets the least ammount of traffic in the warcraft fourms =_=

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I agree as well. I'm actually one of those people who are tired of reading walls of text, usually with terrible grammar, and little thought put into the post.

question... of all places... why here? Members projects gets the least ammount of traffic in the warcraft fourms =_=

Which could be the for the same reason that people don't visit the threads like the OP posted. It's full of boring.

Advena, this was posted for a similar reason:

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106752

I'd like to add a little bit of my own:

For the most part, the people who post threads like these don't last because they don't spend the time to actually make it interesting. I've actually been having the same struggle myself with Forest CTF, since most of the time, my updates are lengthy and walls of text (something I've been trying to improve).

However, if you look at the first post of the thread, I think you'll find a significant improvement. The text is formatted, and is no longer a huge wall of text. It is kept short and to the point, so that those who actually are interested will read more, and so that those who simply are taking a look will not get turned away. Instead, they may see something interesting, and might explore a little bit more.

Advena

Just casually observing atm ;)
Reaction score
Darthfett said:
I agree as well.
(...)
Advena, this was posted for a similar reason: (link)
(...)

Well how about adding a (slightly modified perhaps) version of my text to that post?! :)
It would really be nice to maybe see some improvements in the average thread-starter.
Maybe a few friendly tips is all it takes to make at least a small diffrence? :thup:

Thanks for answering btw guys, +rep <3 :p

~edit: HOW do justify saying you have trouble getting attention when your CTF thread got around four-five pages of posts? You miserable whiner :eek:

j/k mate, tihi :D ;)
It really good, that map, btw :thup:

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Agreed, totally agreed.
Though, people who posts at this forum should really improve grammar from b.net. I, at chats, am too lazy to write I and not i, and really, shortened words are there to stay.

But, at forums, you got time to improve your grammar, and people are probably more willing to help you. A thread with grammar like;

Thread title: "sum1 hple meh w/ mai map plox!"1mneds ideees for hreos adn " (Last part missing, because poster forgot. I mean... wtf...)
Thread content: "plox!13"​

wouldn't get any replies. This actually happened...
I know I'm not very straigth about this, but all in all, I totally, wholeheartly, agree.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
It's something worth ranting about, but I doubt ranting (or much else, for that matter, unless you ban 3/4 of the active TH userbase :p) will solve the problem. There's always going to be people who will post like that, and it's likely that it'll never change, unless you drill it into them (and that's probably illegal :eek:).

some people have a reputation that might not even be adequately portrayed in their "rep" and because of that, there is a waning interest in the projects of those who might not be contributors. Ba-zam.
Bleh, why do people emphasise rep so much? I personally think of it as a "Thanks" or "Nice work" or, occasionally, "Don't be a <profanity>..." (so as not to clog up threads with flame wars), maybe without the strong language :)

It doesn't say anything other than what forum users think of you, and that doesn't mean you're a good/bad mapper. Some people throw +rep around like confetti, others may be stingey about it, and some would just -rep for the sake of it (one in particular I recall was because someone responded to a help thread with the wrong answer...)

neckface

terrain contest winner! :) dance contest loser. :(
Reaction score
There's always going to be people who will post like that, and it's likely that it'll never change, unless you drill it into them (and that's probably illegal :eek:).

Thats supposed to be a metaphorical expression!! :eek:

;)

Lets not forget this classic thread which if I see another one Im gonna spontaneously combust:

aNewUserwithAtinypostcountAndHardlyanyreputation said:
"Presenting: Map of the Awesome (MotA)"

Ideas: 0%
Terrain: 0%
Heroes: 1%
Story: 0%
Triggers :1%

"What I need is ideas and helpers to make this map. If you are interested in helping let me know i need triggers and good terrain and ...."

Why do people make useless announcements like this!?!
:mad::mad::mad::banghead:

/Rant

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Aha! That was funny. MOTA! I'm going to make a map like that... or change one of my small maps to that name. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.