Special effect or dummy unit?

Rushhour

Reaction score
I'm wondering what's better if you want to have about 30+ at a time.
I don't see any major fps drop using both methods, but I don't know how other computer might react.
I mean creating a dummy unit with the model of the special effect works fine. But when I think of creating a unit, the game has to load a whole bunch of information, movespeed,size,whatever, but the special effect only has the model. Though, I read it would be more efficent to use dummy units instead. Why?
(Leaks removed ofc)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know how much performance is used to create a unit, though i would say not too much when thinking of a standard wcIII match with 12 players, but i believe it would of course cause less lag (if any) to create special effects.

but you always have to keep in mind what you actually want to do with that dummy/effect. if you wanna move it around it would most likely be better using dummy units. if you just want to create some effect at a point which wont last for long it will be much better to use a special effect.

if you dont mind you could tell us what exactly you want to show, then we can give you an answer what will be the better way.

Rushhour

Reaction score
No I don't want to move the effect. It looks basically the same simply created and destroyed.
Ok I have a little advantage for one effect using a dummy unit since I can control its life-time easily by the expiration timer (some special effects aren't shown completly if you destroy it right in the moment you create it)^^

But all other effects are just popping up and disappearing, as usual, and if you have some more effects like holy light, ressurection,.. I fear lags :/

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
well as you said, the only advantage of using dummys in this case is the timed life.
i would say: go with the special effects as often as possible.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Use special effect. creating units are slowest native in wc3 engine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.