Speed question

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Hey guys. A quick question about lag, memory, etc.

Let's say I have 9 structures. Each of these structures have 3 orbs floating in the air around it. Now I want the orbs to change colours between red, blue and white, depending on certain events happening. There are two ways that I see can achieve this:

1) Make the orbs units and use the action to change their vertex colouring to change the colour when I need it.

2) Make the orbs destructibles (which I believe take less memory than units) and replace them with replicas that have different colouring.

I should also note that these orbs will be spinning around each respective structure in a circle. The spin will be periodically triggered. This leads to another question: I can't seem to find any action that corresponds to moving doodads or destructibles. Is there any action that does this? Or can only units do that? (In this case I guess I have to use units).

Thanks.

Igor_Z

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Yep definitely units. But 9 structures with 3 orbs spining around every one of them might create some lagg.
In my opinion you should use big timers to move the units like 0.1 or 0.2 or something like that in order to avoid lag issues...

Btw can't the sphere ability be used. It is acceptable, there are 3 orbs rolling above every structure's head and there is no lag. You just add/remove the new ability when it is needed.

P.S: I can't guarantee this because I haven't tested it yet. Maybe the orbs can be replaced with whatever model of orbs you want.

EDIT: I used wisps as orbs with the sphere ability but they just stand on his head. I think the attachment points got mixed up(sprite,one,sprite,two,sprite,three)...

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Yeah I used units finally.

Also, I realise that it does indeed cause too much lag, but I've implemented a system which uses it less often (only when the structures are active) so that should be taken care off.

As for the sphere ability idea, that actually might work. However, there are a few things which don't let me use the sphere ability just yet:
1) The structure is based on the model of a doodad. Hence no attachment points (probably).
2) I need a way to recolour the spheres.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
1). get a skillful modeler

2). create a lot of sphere abilities.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
The problem with the ability "spheres" is that only the blood mage has the attachment points that makes the orbs able to fly around him.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
the model of the revenge avatar got them too.

however you can create those attachment points yourself if you have a little knowledge about modeling.
unfortunately i havent...

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
I don't have much modelling knowledge or experience right now. Can only work on one thing at a time lol. :p I think I'll stick with the units. The way I have them now, it doesn't lag at all and shouldn't as long as the game doesn't get too crazy or out of hand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.