[Spell Request] (need a name too :P)

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
it's an ultimate and it needs 3 levels

the hero conjures several chains of lightning (forked lightning pretty much) and drags X amount of units towards him dealing damage while they are attached to the lightning. When the units come within contact of the hero, they are knocked back Y distance damaging all units along the way.

Level 1: 10dps while being dragged, 300 knockback, 50 damage per collision (to both units)
Level 2: 20dps while being dragged, 500 knockback, 100 damage per collision
Level 3: 30dps while being dragged, 700 knockback, 150 damage per collision

I would prefer if the lightning dragged the unit slowly.

And a good name would be nice :p

This spell does not have to be MUI, but it needs to be in GUI. And it would be nice if there was a demo map.

Rep and credits (if you want them) will be given.

Thanks,

Ava

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I have no idea how to do that. As for a name, how about something like:

Thunder Clasp
Thunder Claw
Lightning Grapple
Storm Pull
Back'n'Forth

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
It's possible lol. Will be hard to make thsi MUI without hashtables....because the ability will take a little while to finish.

Quick question. For the chain lightning, do you mean like a chain that latches out and attaches itself to units for the duration of the dragging?

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
1. It does not have to be MUI :)

2. It's a forked lightning that attaches and drags the units.

I would also like to increase the dps.

Level 1) 30
level 2) 60
level 3) 90

Justice-BR

Reaction score
it's no impossible on gui
but boy
you will need to much sliding (a triggering way to move the unit - used on drag/knockback)

and a MUI sliding on gui its a pain to get to work

there are some on the resources subforum.
good luck

i dont think anyone would do this monster for free

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Im not sure about the triggers, but for the name, Static Lightning?

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Quick note here. I finished the spell. It works perfectly and it's MUI (I wanted to practice using hashtables). However, the special effects aren't done yet...so I'm finishing that off. Also, it is mega complicated and contains tons of leaks that I have neglected to remove....:p.

Edit: Got it done...and it seems to work...only with the lightning effects it causes a fatal error (probably due to leaks). I am unaware of how to remove hashtable leaks...so that's something you're going to need to do.

You will also need the following objects and variables for the triggers to work:
Objects:
1) A custom spell, based off channel. (In the trigger it is named "Spell")

Variables:
current_unit -----------> unit variable
Drag_V_1 -----------> integer variable
No_units_casting -----------> integer variable
Priority_choice -----------> integer variable
Spell -----------> hashtable variable
Unit_Chosen -----------> unit variable
Units_casting -----------> unit group variable
Units_chosen -----------> unit group variable

------------
Triggers:

Trigger:
  • Spell
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Spell
    • Actions
      • Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Triggering unit) as (Key (Triggering unit)) of 1 in Spell
      • Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Target unit of ability being cast) as (Key (Triggering unit)) of 2 in Spell
      • Unit - Pause (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • Hashtable - Save 560 as ((Key (Triggering unit)) + 1) of 2 in Spell
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of (Target unit of ability being cast) using Abilities\Spells\Other\Drain\DrainTarget.mdl
      • Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Last created special effect) as ((Key (Triggering unit)) + 2) of 2 in Spell
      • Unit - Set the custom value of (Target unit of ability being cast) to 0
      • Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source (Position of (Triggering unit)) to target (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Last created lightning effect) as ((Key (Triggering unit)) + 3) of 2 in Spell
      • -------- This is where I target the units, make an animation showing they're linked and assign them to the hashtable --------
      • For each (Integer A) from 3 to (((Level of Spell for (Triggering unit)) x 3) + 1), do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Priority_Choice = 0
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) matching (((Triggering player) is an enemy of (Owner of (Matching unit))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Point-value of (Picked unit)) Greater than Priority_Choice
                  • ((Picked unit) is in Units_chosen) Equal to False
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set Priority_Choice = (Point-value of (Picked unit))
                  • Set Unit_Chosen = (Picked unit)
                  • Unit - Pause (Picked unit)
                  • Unit - Set the custom value of (Picked unit) to 0
                • Else - Actions
          • Unit Group - Add Unit_Chosen to Units_chosen
          • Unit - Set the custom value of Unit_Chosen to 0
          • Hashtable - Save Handle OfUnit_Chosen as (Key (Triggering unit)) of (Integer A) in Spell
          • Hashtable - Save 560 as ((Key (Triggering unit)) + 1) of (Integer A) in Spell
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Unit_Chosen using Abilities\Spells\Other\Drain\DrainTarget.mdl
          • Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Last created special effect) as ((Key (Triggering unit)) + 2) of (Integer A) in Spell
          • Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source (Position of (Triggering unit)) to target (Position of Unit_Chosen)
          • Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Last created lightning effect) as ((Key (Triggering unit)) + 3) of (Integer A) in Spell
      • Unit Group - Add (Triggering unit) to Units_casting

Trigger:
  • Drag
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Units_casting and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • For each (Integer Drag_V_1) from 2 to (((Level of Spell for (Picked unit)) x 3) + 1), do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Set current_unit = (Load (Key (Picked unit)) of Drag_V_1 in Spell)
              • Unit - Turn collision for current_unit Off
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Distance between (Position of current_unit) and (Position of (Picked unit))) Less than or equal to 150.00
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Set the custom value of current_unit to 1
                • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Load ((Key (Picked unit)) + 1) of Drag_V_1 from Spell) Less than or equal to 0
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Set the custom value of current_unit to 2
                  • Unit - Unpause current_unit
                  • Unit - Turn collision for current_unit On
                  • Unit Group - Remove current_unit from Units_chosen
                • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Custom value of current_unit) Equal to 0
                • Then - Actions
                  • Lightning - Move (Load ((Key (Picked unit)) + 3) of Drag_V_1 in Spell) to source (Position of (Picked unit)) and target (Position of current_unit)
                  • Unit - Move current_unit instantly to ((Position of current_unit) offset by 5.00 towards (Angle from (Position of current_unit) to (Position of (Picked unit))) degrees)
                • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Custom value of current_unit) Equal to 1
                • Then - Actions
                  • Lightning - Destroy (Load ((Key (Picked unit)) + 3) of Drag_V_1 in Spell)
                  • Special Effect - Destroy (Load ((Key (Picked unit)) + 2) of Drag_V_1 in Spell)
                  • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of current_unit) using Objects\Spawnmodels\Undead\ImpaleTargetDust\ImpaleTargetDust.mdl
                  • Unit - Move current_unit instantly to ((Position of current_unit) offset by 15.00 towards (Angle from (Position of (Picked unit)) to (Position of current_unit)) degrees)
                  • Hashtable - Save ((Load ((Key (Picked unit)) + 1) of Drag_V_1 from Spell) - 15) as ((Key (Picked unit)) + 1) of Drag_V_1 in Spell
                  • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
                • Else - Actions

Please note that:
If you want to change any of the stats of your specific ability and are unable to figuire out where to edit the numbers, don't hesitate to contact me.

It still causes a fatal.

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Thanks moridrin! I havnt tested it out yet but +rep anyways :D

Do you mind posting the map you made this on?

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Yeah that should be fine.

I've got a paly with the spell "Spell" along with a bunch of acolytes to test it on.
Btw, I forgot to mention that I don't have damage actions set in....but that's easy to add.

Attachments

• static lightning spell.w3x
    21.2 KB · Views: 171

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
disable the lightning parts before you try it out....otherwise the fatal.

The actions you will need to disable are:

Trigger 1:

Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source (Position of (Triggering unit)) to target (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Last created lightning effect) as ((Key (Triggering unit)) + 3) of 2 in Spell
Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source (Position of (Triggering unit)) to target (Position of Unit_Chosen)
Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Last created lightning effect) as ((Key (Triggering unit)) + 3) of (Integer A) in Spell

Trigger 2:

Lightning - Move (Load ((Key (Picked unit)) + 3) of Drag_V_1 in Spell) to source (Position of (Picked unit)) and target (Position of current_unit)
Lightning - Destroy (Load ((Key (Picked unit)) + 3) of Drag_V_1 in Spell)

NoobImbaPro

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This spell has nothing to do with static lighting. A better name is Electric Magnet.And this trigger has many "fouls"!!!! :nuts:

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
They don't work? :S Let me go test it again.
Edit: Tested again. I disabled the lightning and it works perfectly fine.....:S. No damage of course....I'm talking about the dragging + effects - lightning.

@NoobImbaPro: fouls?

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Ya, I meant do you have any idea why the lightning doesn't work?

EDIT: K it didn't really work... When I cast it it only pulled back 3 units with only 1 lightning effect on one unit (the other units didnt have the effect). When it did the knockback it hit units, but there was no damage. There was also no damage on the drag.

EDIT: ok, I tested out levels 2 and 3. Also no damage, but I like how it pulled back more units. A few things that concerned me:

1. When I cast the spell, sometimes units around the paladin got dragged in, could you make it so that only units around the target get dragged in?
2. There was no damage whatsoever
3. Could you make it so that it pulled back all the units in an AOE? (like targeting blizzard for example)
4. The drag was too fast, could you make it slower please?
5. I would rather not have the dust when units are knocked back.
6. Could you make it so that all the units being dragged reach the caster at the same time, and when they do a lightning bolt comes down, hits the caster and causes all the dragged units and nearby units to be knocked bak?

Thanks!!
Avaleirra

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
???? That is a ton of changes....and I am actually not too motivated to do that right now.

Firstly, I thought the spell was like chain lightning in targeting according to your first post.
Secondly, I know there's no damage, but that's easy to add in, so please refrain from mentioning it again and again.
Thirdly, if you have no dust on the knockback it will look slightly fake.
Fourthly, your point 3 and 6 will be hard to code in as my spell is significantly different.

I'm really sorry, but I feel that the description of the spell given was not adequate...and after spending a few hours on it I really don't feel like doing that right now.

As for the lightning, I really have no idea.

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Ya, sorry... I sorta changed my mind about the targeting :p (sheepish)

I don't mind it looking a bit fake.

And sorry for all the trouble Moridrin... I guess I didnt explain it well enough. My bad...

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Ahhh...sorry for my previous outburst lol. Anyway....I fixed it to do the unit group thing. A few things I haven't gotten around to doing yet:

1) Getting an actual circle marker like in blizzard.
2) Right now it only targets units.
3) Lightning still doesn't work.
4) I have not implemented damage as of yet.
5) All units are dragged at the same speed, so they don't reach the caster at the same time.
6) The bash dust effects are still in play.

Alright. I changed the targeting to AOE with a few changes. Will be fixing all the things I missed one after the other.
One thing though. It causes MASSIVE LAG, at least it did for me. I'm shortening the AOE...because it was originally quite massive.

Please give me the specifications of:
1) The AOE range
2) The damage for drag and for bash
3) The distance of the bash

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I'll give you rep now even though your not done

1) range 500
2) drag:
level 1) 40dps, 40 bash
level 2) 80dps, 80 bash
level 3) 120dps, 120 bash
3) 500

EDIT: gotta spread :(, I'll get it to you ASAP

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.