spells - edit and create

andrei009

Reaction score
I am trying to make custom spells for custom heros but I have lots of problems

( see more questions )

1.Editing spells . Couldn't find some field values
For example I had tried to edit Holy Light spell for healing friendly units or damaging enemy units , but the original spell damage only undead units I can't find where it says that

2.Creating spells . Create ability like an upgrade
I want to create an ability like moon glaive upgrade , I want my hero hit multiple targets like chain lighting , but I want the animation to be a rotating glaive hitting the targets one at a time
I tried to edit the chain lighting spell , changing the missile art to glaive and other fields and still the no glaive :(

Could you tell me how to do this spells , and what are the main stuff of doing / edit spells?

madd_999

Reaction score
some things cant be edited but are hardcoded in the game..

for example holy light.. it will (doesn't matter whatever you do)only heal allys and damage undead..

problem 2 I cant solve at this moment.. no editor at hands

[edit]

and welcome to the helper :)

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
Not really sure how Moon Glave does it's job but if you want to use it's effect you shouldn't try to remake it with chainlightning but instead try to figure it out.

So it could probably be this way:

Huntress and probably every unit has a filed called
Combat - Attack type 1 - Maximum Number of Targets = n (in the hunress case n = 2)

So maybe change this for your unit and it might hit multiple targets. If it doesn't try giving it the Moon Glave ability and see what happens.

>and what are the main stuff of doing / edit spells?

You should almost always want to base your spell over some blizzard (make some changes over it in the object editor) made spell and then using triggers to give it some other effect/or bonuses etc.

andrei009

Reaction score
Huntress and probably every unit has a filed called
Combat - Attack type 1 - Maximum Number of Targets = n (in the hunress case n = 2)

So maybe change this for your unit and it might hit multiple targets. If it doesn't try giving it the Moon Glave ability and see what happens.
I tried that before , but no use , because Moon Glave is just for design ,I think , the upgrade does the trick , Data - Effect 1 Attack Target Count Bonus 1

I can't find the link between the upgrade and huntress . Another unwriten code :confused:

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Not only do you have to fill in max number of targets for bouncing glaives, but you also need to fill in the Area of Effect. This determines the bounce range.

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Wait... I just realized you're using chain lightning...

Make sure middle speed isn't 0

andrei009

Reaction score
I changed to 400 hero AoE for moon glaive ability (like the hantress) and it didn't work

For chain lighting ability (my first idea to make the spell) you want me to check the middle speed :confused: or missile speed ? missile speed is 900

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Missile, sorry typo.

Damn, if I was on my computer I would look this up for you because I had a spell that was like this... Pretty sure I used moon glaives though.

andrei009

Reaction score
More questions about abilities:
-witch are the Animation Names string list? (like attack,looping,channeling , bla bla)
-witch are the Attachment Points string list? (like overhead ...)
-what is with Order String - Use \ Turn on ?(I see almost every spell have one)
-how can I use triggers to improve spells ?
-any other tips of creating spells?

My first two problems above are still unsolved

canons200

Reaction score
regarding your 2nd request, it is easy, i make this skill b4, but i want to know your glaive allow to hit the same target more than 1 time?

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Hmmm considering your eager with the magic the triggering does to ordinary spells it's simply like this. With triggering you could create better effects that synchronizes with the skills effect. You don't bore your players with simple effect edit and data edit skills.

My tips for you in creating spells is that you should try out basic ones first, which will lead you to a more complex version of it. For starters make area spells like for example cast this spell and cause hex to every unit around you.

N(O.O)B

Reaction score
Editing spells . Couldn't find some field values
For example I had tried to edit Holy Light spell for healing friendly units or damaging enemy units , but the original spell damage only undead units I can't find where it says that
This is hardcoded in, meaning you cannot change it. You will have to trigger this. See this from the official blizzard Q&A:
Q: What parts of an ability can I change?
A: You can change targets, graphics, sound, damage, unit ids, range, levels, and other similar values. You cannot change the basic logic of the spell through the spell editor. You need to use triggers to change spell logic.

For example you could:

Change Bloodlust to decrease unit speed.
Make Starfall a unit ability.
Make Raise Dead summon 1 zombie.

However you could not (without triggers):

Add a stun effect to Mana Burn.
Make Death Coil area of effect.
Make an aura that turns units into sheep.

Creating spells . Create ability like an upgrade
I want to create an ability like moon glaive upgrade , I want my hero hit multiple targets like chain lighting , but I want the animation to be a rotating glaive hitting the targets one at a time
I tried to edit the chain lighting spell , changing the missile art to glaive and other fields and still the no glaive
The same applies for this. Only a few spells are hardcoded to allow "Missiles" to be fired, even though all spells have this field. Adding a "Missile Art" to an ability like "Roar" or "Holy Light" will not change anything, the same applies to "Chain Lightning". If you want a bouncing glaive you could try looking in the Tutorials and Resources section, more specifically this ability might be what you're looking for.

-witch are the Animation Names string list? (like attack,looping,channeling , bla bla)
Every unit has their own set of Animations, most of them have:
  • stand (some have stand 1, stand 2)
  • death
  • walk
  • spell
  • spell channel
  • decay flesh
  • decay bone
You can easily check these by selecting a unit in the "Unit Palette" and checking the Model Box below the minimap. You can cycle through the animations of the model of the unit you selected there.
-witch are the Attachment Points string list? (like overhead ...)
The same applies, every unit has different attachment points, most units have:
  • Head (Their Head)
  • Overhead (Above Their Head)
  • Origin (Below them)
  • Chest (Their Chest, yea they're all this obvious)
  • Hand, Left (Left Hand)
  • Hand, Right (Right Hand)
-what is with Order String - Use \ Turn on ?(I see almost every spell have one)
This is the "order string" that is displayed when checking with the condition Order Comparison. It doesn't really do anything useful though.
-how can I use triggers to improve spells ?
Oh boy, well, where can I start? With triggers you can do a lot more than with normal object editor spells, as they are very limited. You can use dummy units to cast spells for you, you can damage units through triggers, you can heal units through triggers, you can move units through triggers, you can increase/decrease the size of triggers, you can alter the colors of units through triggers. You can basically, do a load of things with triggers that you cannot do with normal spells.

Try checking this tutorial as a start, and don't be afraid to ask specific questions when you want to create a spell on these forums. Start with something simple, such as, for example, polymorphing a unit after casting Chain Lightning on it, or something of the sorts. Don't attempt hard spells yet.
-any other tips of creating spells?
Practice makes perfect, practice a lot, start with making basic spells and move on to more difficult spells later on. Ask loads of questions

Bananarama1

Reaction score
Not sure if its been answered yet, skipped to the bottom. The "Moon Glaive" ability is just for the looks, i don't believe it actually does anything except take tooltip room and look pretty. To get your hero to do it, just set the "Max Number of Targets" to about 3-4, Set his weapon type to "Missile - Bounce" give it the range you want, the glaive missile art, and i think you're there, il just check it over. Also put the "Attack - Area of full damage" to what area you want it to bounce to. You can also set the "Attack - Area of Half Damage" to a bigger area than your big damage area, if you want.

Edit: Nevermind, misread OP's question.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.