StarCraft II Hits 800,000 Pre-Orders in the Americas

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
With just one day to go until release, VGChartz retail pre-order estimates have placed Starcraft II at nearly 800,000 units this week. The sequel to the 11-million-selling original released back in 1998, StarCraft II is easily one of the most eagerly-awaited PC releases of all time and VGChartz estimates that physical retail sales in the Americas alone in week one should be more than one million units.

With a worldwide release on the 27th and the game also available for digital download via Blizzard's Battle.net, VGChartz expects total worldwide week one sales to be around three million units - a significant amount expected to come from South Korea where the original game sold over 5 million units. Current VGChartz estimates place total games sales at 10-12 million units by the end of 2010 worldwide (including retail and digital sales).

More about it here.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
That is a lot of people to let down.
SC2 is great, but I wouldn't call it amazing.

To bad they won't spend 1 million of that 500 million profit
on anti map hack.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
~1 million people (and growing) disagree with you. I've played the beta and I love it.

I really think they're 10million by the end of the year prediction is off. Sure SC1 may have sold that many...over 10 years... but the requirements to run SC2 smooth aren't something that office and 10 year old computers can stand up to.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
I guess that makes me 1 in a million.

I love the Beta too, but I just can't label SC2 as groundbreaking or outstanding.

And with Blizzard making every effort they can to invade our privacy with ideas like Real ID and
claiming the rights to your personal info angers alot of die hard fanatics.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
SC2 isnt amazing enough to drag me away from LoL. Or anything, but it might drag my friends that i play with and force me to play SC2 :/. But, heres the upside. Less serverload :D!

NuQ

Reaction score
And with Blizzard making every effort they can to invade our privacy with ideas like Real ID and
claiming the rights to your personal info angers alot of die hard fanatics.

I always use a pseudonym when i'm online, even when i had a facebook profile... Then one day i started getting mail, not e-mail... PHYSICAL MAIL to my house... addressed to my pseudonym i used only on facebook. im not sure how they got my address. so, needless to say i left facebook. then blizzard went and announced they were integrating facebook into battlenet? and they claim the right to my personal info now, too?

i played the beta since the first wave of invites... but when the final beta survey was all about the social features, instead of the actual game, it put a bad taste in my mouth. one of the final beta survey questions was "How many people do you have on your friends list?"

seriously? its a fun game and all... but there were some pretty serious balance issues toward the end of the beta. was it really worth it to advance the zerg to hive level, unless a unique situation called for it? but instead they wanted to focus on the social features? on achievements you can show off to your friends on facebook? if that's their priority... no thanks.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
Lots of sales is obviously good for Blizzard.
On the other hand though, that's not certain to also lift crAPtivision's stock.
At least according to the Investor Guide (warning: huge, dry business article).

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone know if SC2 comes out in South Africa at the same time as everywhere else? I know they keep saying global release, but that usually refers to first-world global only.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Well, you can buy a digatal copy of the game wich will be combined with your b.net acc, or in other words: if you forget/loose the password, you are fucked, but else you can play SCII from anywhere, because your account is going to be activated or something... I am not explaining it good, but a digital copy is a very good choice.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well, you can buy a digatal copy of the game wich will be combined with your b.net acc, or in other words: if you forget/loose the password, you are fucked, but else you can play SCII from anywhere, because your account is going to be activated or something... I am not explaining it good, but a digital copy is a very good choice.

The boxed version works the same exact way...

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score

Well another inconvenience of being a non-1st-world country is that we don't have an endless amount of internet cap... it's still expensive over here, and to download the entire game could take me over a week.

celerisk

Reaction score
Well, with 800000, they almost guessed correctly :D

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty may have just achieved the most successful game launch of the year, becoming the fastest-selling title of 2010. An estimate states that 1.8 million copies were sold on the first day in the Americas and Europe, including both digital and physical sales.

Seen here

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
There were 1 million users online in the first few hours it came out, and that was only on the North American servers.

Go figure =o

celerisk

Reaction score
FWIW, here's the official press release on fastest-selling strategy game of all time :p

On a related note, while the "voting" score on Amazon is only a mere 2-3 of 5 (from a bunch of losers that can't handle change and voted 1, based on "it sucks"), it's still top spot in the games bestsellers list!
With the CE in the top 10.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.