System Status

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
I just realized something that that other system which name I can't remember from wc3c had that this doesn't (either then regeneration): it had a bonus type.
I could go do something like:
JASS:

struct itemBase
    Bonus bonusType
endstruct

so I could attach different types of bonuses to my items, or w/e.

Also you don't need to add abilities to a unit to make it regenerate - easiest way is to just set the unit's life periodically?

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Triple/Quadro attacks etc are not possible as far as I know, without direct and specific unit triggering.

Possible, but not easy and fast to do, unlike double attack. This is the reason why you should not add double attack, but do that multi attack system instead. Using this for double attacks wont save user from too much triggering, because most of guys can do it pretty fast and easily. Then again, multi attack system is something so complicated that people would be happy to have some system for it, instead of having to trigger it by themselves.

And the only reason why someone would want only double attack and not other multi attacks, is because DotA has only double attack, and that kind people tend to think that if something is not in DotA, then it cant be done.

I agreed with your current opinion, until I came to agree with your previous opinion. :p

MY opinion has not changed: I dont like small systems that only give litte help with, for example, orders. I want a big bad ass OrderSystem that does all order related stuff.

But that doesnt mean that I want some big and lame system that does all kind of random stuff, for example lil bit orders, lil bit group stuff, lil bit triggered lifesteal or some other random stuff like that.

Anyways, periodic timer and some ForGroup call for modifying mana and health is probably the best way to do those extra regeneration thingies.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
If you don't like double attack, don't use it. It's one array and a few tiny functions. Making a generic X-Attack system is not possible so far as I know, without passing in the projectile model of every unit in the game.
Anyways, periodic timer and some ForGroup call for modifying mana and health is probably the best way to do those extra regeneration thingies.
An AIDS group would work also. I think you're right, though.
Will MoveSpeedX be combined into this?
I'm still debating this with myself. Feel free to join in the argument. :p
and if it does will it support negative values and such?
It already does.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Making a generic X-Attack system is not possible so far as I know, without passing in the projectile model of every unit in the game.

So you just need to use that ObjectData tool, or GMSI or Widgetizer + [lJASS]//!loaddata[/lJASS]. That is not a problem.

Actually, I think multiple attacks is not really the way to go. It should be some fake attack system, which allows user do for example spells like Omnislash in DotA.

call UnitAttack( unit, target, somestuffmaybe )

Triggers all onAttack events for criticals and evasions, plays the needed attack animation.

After units attack point time it deals damage equal to [lJASS]GetRandomReal( unit.baseDamageMin, unit.baseDamageMax) + unit.damage[/lJASS], or maybe something else if critical or evasion procs.

For ranged guys you can simply create a projectile with some projectile system, and make it deal damage. ( Remember that if unit misses the attack, projectile wont target unit but some random point near it. )

And then again you can also use these triggered projectiles to do normal ranged attacks too, to do something like Blueshift in ToB.

Double attack could simply be made with some timer which calls fake attack almost instantly after real attack.

Anyways, that orb of lightning + searing arrows kind of double attack is kinda useless, unless you want to make exact copy of that one DotA spell, and even though people love to copy DotA, I dont think its worth of it.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Actually, I think multiple attacks is not really the way to go. It should be some fake attack system, which allows user do for example spells like Omnislash in DotA.

call UnitAttack( unit, target, somestuffmaybe )

Triggers all onAttack events for criticals and evasions, plays the needed attack animation.
See, it's either all that, or maybe users think it might be a cheap effect to call Status[unit].addDoubleAttack()? :)

Anyway, there's far more useless stuff you could pick on, like resistant skin. The point is cool boolean style unit effects (statuses) and integer based unit modifications (bonuses) are commoditised by this system. Hence, it shall stay. :)

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
What resistance skin too? What the fuck is wrong with you guys, seriously?

This double attack is like adding a 23% change to block 40 damage, withough any possibilities to modify those numbers. Its like adding 50% cleave with 300 AoE and only that. Its totally wrong designing philosophy. Its terrible. It is ...

Okay, fine, do what you want, but its bad idea, no matter what.

The idea of systems is to find ways to do cool stuff. Not to add some totally random, lame and horribly limited stuff and let users wonder what they could use it for.

edit
Why dont you add double spell cast too then, eh? If you add double attack you gotta add double spell cast, lol..

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
What resistance skin too? What the fuck is wrong with you guys, seriously?
What's wrong with resistant skin? :p

Regarding double-attack: I agree that it stands as an odd-one-out among the facets covered in this system, plus doesn't it take over the unit's one orb effect?

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
doesn't it take over the unit's one orb effect?
For that and the reason that I couldn't actually hide the icon, double attack was removed (never saw public).

Released Version 1.2.6. Added health/mana pure/percent bonuses, added movespeed pure/percent bonuses based on MSX. The reason I have done so is because the algorithm can check for statuses which would block movement and be used in knockbacks, so that move speed is only boosted appropriately. MSX has the advantage of a flexible period since it runs on KT2 (the MoveSpeed stuff here runs on T32). :)

Also added the resistant skin status.

The only things I'm still really considering is adding percentage attack damage bonus. I rejected reflect piercing attacks because it would have to use defend, which would use the animation on footmen, and also interrupt current order... :(

1867 lines.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
The only things I'm still really considering is adding percentage attack damage bonus. I rejected reflect piercing attacks because it would have to use defend
Elune's Grace can also reflect attacks. :p Like Defend, it will only do so if the gameplay constant for Defend is set to True, and if Deflect Damage Taken is not equal to 1.

Elune's Grace is basically passive Defend.

Additional suggestions :eek::
Would Hardened Skin overlap too much with Damage to be worth including?

I'm not sure what is your approach to Locust in this system, but a common question on the forums is how to create an unselectable but attackable and collision-enabled unit. This is possible with add/remove Locust and morph. If you support plain Locust/de-Locust, it would also be great for unselectable/collision off (which is add/remove Locust) and unselectable/collision enabled (as previously mentioned).

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Elune's Grace can also reflect attacks. :p Like Defend, it will only do so if the gameplay constant for Defend is set to True, and if Deflect Damage Taken is not equal to 1.
Great info, thanks. I saw the field on Elune's Grace for reflecting attacks, which is why I thought it'd be good to add. I didn't realise a constant was involved! :D

Would Hardened Skin overlap too much with Damage to be worth including?
I wanted to include it to make units immune to melee attacks, immune to ranged attacks, and both. The system already includes disarm melee, and disarm range, so I thought this might be cool. But it's so much work...

I'm not sure what is your approach to Locust in this system, but a common question on the forums is how to create an unselectable but attackable and collision-enabled unit. This is possible with add/remove Locust and morph. If you support plain Locust/de-Locust, it would also be great for unselectable/collision off (which is add/remove Locust) and unselectable/collision enabled (as previously mentioned).
I'll consider it, but I can't be bothered.

Well, I added reflect piercing. :)

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
It would be awesome if you added the separate buffs for disable and stun while your at it. :)

At the moment, that is the only thing I want in the system. (And possibly updating the documentation with the Bonus limits)

Edit:

I thinking adding the different types of locust things is going a bit overboard, and that adding hardened skin kinda clashes with what Damage is meant to do for us.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
It would be awesome if you added the separate buffs for disable and stun while your at it. :)
Done. Released Version 1.2.8.
I thinking adding the different types of locust things is going a bit overboard
Yeah.
adding hardened skin kinda clashes with what Damage is meant to do for us.
It would be if it was just to block x damage. But to make a unit immune to ranged or melee attacks would seem appropriate in my eyes. I just can't be stuffed right now. It's rare a system reaches 1000 lines. This one's 2000 lines (94,000 characters). Don't feel like adding another complicated thing (right now)...

quraji

zap
Reaction score
From the code (as the default buff descriptions):

Stun:
"This unit is stunned; it cannot move, attack or cast spells."

Disable:
"This unit is Disabled; it cannot do anything."

Yeah, that doesn't clear it up for me either :p

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Do any of those allow the unit to still move but not attack or cast spells or use items? Maybe that would be a combo move of disarm and doom?

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Do any of those allow the unit to still move but not attack or cast spells or use items? Maybe that would be a combo move of disarm and doom?
As you said.

What is the difference between "disable" and "stun"?
There isn't one, inherently. But disable cannot go negative. So, for example, you'd use Stun in a spell that is meant to stun a unit, but perhaps if you wanted a freeze a unit without any doubt that it is frozen (perhaps a knockback or just as a replacement for PauseUnit in general) you'd use Disable. The idea is that Disable can't be blocked by making it negative. :)

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Where did double attack go?

I was going to use it...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.