Sci/Tech Taiwan engineers defeat limits of flash memory

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
(Phys.org)—Taiwan-based Macronix has found a solution for a weakness in flash memory fadeout. A limitation of flash memory is simply that eventually it cannot be used; the more cells in the memory chips are erased, the less useful to store data. The write-erase cycles degrade insulation; eventually the cell fails. "Flash wears out after being programmed and erased about 10,000 times," said the IEEE Spectrum. Engineers at Macronix have a solution that moves flash memory over to a new life. They propose a "self-healing" NAND flash memory solution that can survive over 100 million cycles.

News of their findings appears in the IEEE Spectrum, discussing flash memory's limitations and the Taiwan company's solution. Macronix is a manufacturer in the Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) market, with a NOR Flash, NAND Flash, and ROM products. Before their solution announcement, though, many engineers inside and outside of Macronix were aware of a life-giving workaround: heat. The snag is that applying heat was not found to be practical. As the Macronix team put it, the "long baking time is impractical for real time operation." Although subjecting the cells to high heat could return memory, the process was problematic; the entire memory chip would need heating for hours at around 250 °C.

They redesigned a flash memory chip to include onboard heaters to anneal small groups of memory cells. Applying a brief jolt of heat to a very restricted area within the chip (800 degrees C) returns the cell to a "good" state. They said that the process does not have to be run all that often. According to project member Hang‑Ting Lue, the annealing can be done infrequently and on one sector at a time while the device is inactive but still connected to the power source. It would not drain a cellphone battery, he added.

Read more here.

TL;DR: Infinite write times for SSDs and flash memory cartridges for USBs/NDS/etc.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Sounds dangerous. Hope it's not.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Doesn't sound dangerous to me; it's so tiny and only capable of heating such a microscopic area and doesn't use enough power to run a phone.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not believing yet. 800°C is pretty pretty hot. An oven goes roughly to 200° maybe 300° max.
Heating something up that high, i cant imagine how this will not cost alot of energy.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I am not believing yet. 800°C is pretty pretty hot. An oven goes roughly to 200° maybe 300° max.
Heating something up that high, i cant imagine how this will not cost alot of energy.

depends on what that something is - a 15W soldering iron heats an area the size of a finger to 300+ degrees easily

a couple watts on a small integrated circuit could easily cause it to "bake" itself (look at CPU's - even a low-powered CPU with no fan/heatsink will burn itself up almost instantly if it isn't throttled down, and even those are relatively large compared to the flash in say a micro sd card - not to mention that all of those are generally designed to dissipate heat rather than trap it (like an oven) - if you combine the two, you could easily get it that hot, but you would have to be careful of the surrounding components to not get that hot

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
I bet some big company will offer lots of money for this Technology, IF it gets developed and IF it meets market standards, so that it will be sealed away for good. If one would pay roughly 50€ for a proper Flash Card, it would hold for about 4 years. Now, I've always thought of Flash Card as a sort of auxilluary piece of Hardware, well even more of luxury that beefs up your PC's performance, so even if you'd buy a new PC ( some people buy a new PC every year ), you could always carry over the Flash Card to the new one and you'd be happy with the extra little bit of performance. So, if this technology enhances the durability by what seems to be infinity, you'd only have to buy it once and the companies wouldn't make much profit of it.

However, heating something to 800°C is pretty risky. We all know that synthetics melt fast and that we can't have 100% control over these enormous amounts of heat. So, if the Flash Cards arn't assembled properly or have a fault, you may be damaging more than just the Flash Card.

Also, just imagine thousands of people using a Flash Card with this technology. Wouldn't it speed up global warming? I mean 800°C adds up to quite alot. Not that I care, it would just be an argument against it being allowed for sale and shizzle.

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I disagree. Even if it gets tied down in the civvie market, the Military would probably pick it up. And if the Military picks it up, it eventually comes back to the civvie market again, this time without a chance of being canned.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Wouldn't it speed up global warming?

it's not just the temperature.. you need to consider what exactly you are heating up - a lit match also goes up to around 800 (and above that when the initial "fuel" burns), yet as far as amount of heat energy put into the atmosphere, a computer (even at a relatively cool 40º) will output a lot more energy as heat

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.