PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
So, there is a cow level

(referring to the cheat)
(any info on where cheat name came from is not coincidence, look up diablo in wikipedia)

The Legendary Cow Level
One of the more well known aspects of Diablo was something that didn't actually exist. Rumors started of a "cow level" with varying instructions or ideas on how to enter such a place and what existed in this level.

Blizzard put a cheat code in StarCraft: 'there is no cow level.' Typing this caused instant victory.

The Hellfire expansion also mocks this rumor: if cowquest is added to command.txt, the first new dungeon segment is accessed by speaking to one of the townsfolk, who's dressed in a cow suit.

Blizzard actually did put a cow level in Diablo II, although it was merely a very large area full of monsters called 'Hell Bovines' who were cows walking upright and carrying halberds. All of their sound files were of humans saying the word 'moo'. Net lore has it that the ridiculously bad voices of the cows were those of various Blizzard employees. "The Cow King" makes an appearance as a unique Hell Bovine. However, defeating "The Cow King" will seal off this easter egg forever.

The cow level is rarely brought up other than as a joke but is still referenced in other products. The later Blizzard game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos introduced the Tauren, a race of anthropomorphic bulls and cows, whether intentionally spoofing the joke or not. World of Warcraft features them as a playable race, and their capital city, Thunder Bluff, is sometimes jokingly referred to by players as "the Cow Level." An item even exists named "The Cow King's Hide." On the game's loading screens, one of the tips displayed is "TIP: There is no cow level.", although this was added long after the game was released.

In addition, as an April Fool's joke in 2008, Blizzard announced a new unit for the under-development Starcraft II; the "Tauren Marine," (a play on "Terran Marine") which was a Tauren suited up as a marine, carrying an "88mm Impala Gauss Rifle" and smoking a cigar. As a caption for one of the new unit's screenshots, it is said that "There is a cow level."

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
haha, SC2 is going to be the shit

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Yea I think this is a prank too, but they did put enough work into so I think it will show up somewhere as a secret and for sure will be in the editor. I want to see them have some sorta really cool psi-war-stomp or psi-plow-wave (something really neat looking with a lot of energy used for close up melee ownage.) Their psi-barrettes look mean! I don't like how every damn one of them smokes though, you think a few would have figured it out at least, but hell I guess they are meat for the grinder anyways so whatev. So SCII now has giant war cows (mad cows) with huge guns, cool, but I've always seen these things as a melee specialty. If I could take one unit over from one universe to the other it would be Chimeras or frost worms - with frickin lasers coming out of their foreheads!

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
haha, SC2 is going to be the shit

Starcraft 2 will be good, but I don't think it's going to be as awesome as everyone thinks its going to be. To prove this, we must first think about what really made the first Starcraft great. It set the standard for all later RTS's implementing alot of systems that the other RTS's only used some of, but it was the first of its kind to use as many as it did, so the main reason it was so great was the fact that it used so many of these systems, and it relied on being the first game to really do this. However, since then many games have come out that use these ideas, be it careful resource management requirements or insanely large battles and a rock-paper-scissors system. However, starcraft was the first RTS to implement these ideas well, so the main thing that has kept it going is the fact that it was the first. If starcraft 2 were to implement some great new RTS ideas that had never before been done highly like the original starcraft did, then it would be great. However, from what I can tell, its more of the same. This does not mean it will be bad, don't get me wrong, but its not going to be as revolutionary as some think it's going to be. It's just going to be more of the same, only with more units and better graphics, yet people are prejudging it based on the fact that the title contains the word "starcraft" and the fact that its made by Blizzard. However, it looks like Starcraft 2 is just going to be more of the tried-and-true formula rather then a great, revolutionary RTS that added lots of great new ideas like what made its predecessor great.

W

Werewulf

I think the TM model is very detailed and has gorgeous geometry, texture and animations. A top job they did. I hope they will include more whacky blizzard models for user fun and freedom.

punwisp

Reaction score
Starcraft 2 will be good, but I don't think it's going to be as awesome as everyone thinks its going to be. To prove this, we must first think about what really made the first Starcraft great. It set the standard for all later RTS's implementing alot of systems that the other RTS's only used some of, but it was the first of its kind to use as many as it did, so the main reason it was so great was the fact that it used so many of these systems, and it relied on being the first game to really do this. However, since then many games have come out that use these ideas, be it careful resource management requirements or insanely large battles and a rock-paper-scissors system. However, starcraft was the first RTS to implement these ideas well, so the main thing that has kept it going is the fact that it was the first. If starcraft 2 were to implement some great new RTS ideas that had never before been done highly like the original starcraft did, then it would be great. However, from what I can tell, its more of the same. This does not mean it will be bad, don't get me wrong, but its not going to be as revolutionary as some think it's going to be. It's just going to be more of the same, only with more units and better graphics, yet people are prejudging it based on the fact that the title contains the word "starcraft" and the fact that its made by Blizzard. However, it looks like Starcraft 2 is just going to be more of the tried-and-true formula rather then a great, revolutionary RTS that added lots of great new ideas like what made its predecessor great.

Wow, not only are you by far wrong, and there isn't just "better" graphics or "better" units, if you think that, then you clearly have no clue what your talking about. If it was just better graphics and better units, then it wouldn't take a very long time to make, they havent disappointed us. They never do, and saying only better units and better graphics is very narrow minded and ignorant to say, including sense, just by the previews, and live gameplay there is by FAR more then just better graphics and better units, Be more observant. From what you typed, it looks like all you did is look at pictures and read about it. Heres a tip, watch all the previews, and introduction videos of each faction, they explained all the new things they put in. Like the new system where if something explodes, lets say a ship, bunch of the parts fall the the ground and roll in random directions, and stay there for a few seconds, then fade away. That right there is a new unique system.

Theres going to be Greater gameplay, Blizzard isnt like other companies where they just duplicate there first game and just enhance things and add more units. Thats sloppy, blizzard isn't sloppy, you should know that by now, they take there time. And it seems like this is the game they have been working on the longest. And they won't upset there fans, including there Korean fans, thats where the biggest starcraft fans are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.