Spell Temporal Fluxuation

mastah_

Reaction score
its a great idea but very buggy...
also a little thing that makes it weird... the name of future self is not same as ur hero....he get a name change in 2 seconds?

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
mastah_ said:
also a little thing that makes it weird... the name of future self is not same as ur hero....he get a name change in 2 seconds?
I, uhhh, didn't even think about this. Maybe I'll use a CloneUnit function instead of creating a new hero from scratch... if and when I ever update this spell to be proper.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
You are a dirty stinking alien hiding in a human body.
Don't think for a second that I don't know you have a vJass co-processor inserted in your neural cortex.
And the fact you know just a little too much about quantum physics is not helping your cover either.
//offtopic
But you think your cover was better?
Amongst us humans, there is the golden rule:
Don't dare to apply mammal anatomy on aliens.
Also, we know aliens don't need physical access to computer devices in order to manipulate them.

Yeah, your tries to hide behind false ignorance and to spread false facts have blatantly failed. Humans are not as stupid as one might think.

EDIT: Come to think about it, they are.
EDIT2: Forgot I'ld have to use the edit button in order to make the change appear properly in the databases
//ontopic
Awesome spell, Pyro
Although I didn't get the thing with the flashbacks...
Becomes the future self the past self, or does it just disappear? Is the future self warped out of the dimension or not?
Is there some sort of quantum entanglement between the past and the future heroes?
Please explain that part again. (The 'What happens when the future self thingie is warped back' part, that is)

EDIT3:
Umm... They don't take integer i. They take integer this, afaict. Also, struct allocation & destruction do look different... Yours would overwrite itself.
Something like that (don't have a dJASS compiler here, but you should be able to read it anyway):
JASS:
// User Vars
globals
    integer X
    integer Y
end

// Self initialized
globals
    integer countIndex= 0
    integer countInfo = 0
    integer array Index
    integer firstFree = -1
    integer array Free
end

function Alloc( nothing ): integer
    integer this
    integer info
    if firstFree == - 1 then 
        countIndex += 1 // min index needs to be 0 for null struct
        this = countIndex
    else
        this = firstFree
        firstFree = Free[ firstFree ]
    end
    info = countInfo
    countInfo += 1
    Index[ this ] = info
    // Set vars...
    X[ info ] = 0
    Y[ info ] = 0
    // ...
    return this
end

function Destroy( integer this ): nothing
    integer info = Index[ this ]
    integer oldInfo = Index[ countIndex ]
    Free[ this ] = firstFree
    firstFree = this
    Index[ countIndex ] = info
    // Set vars...
    X[ info ] = X[ oldInfo ]
    Y[ info ] = Y[ oldInfo ]
    // ...
    countInfo -= 1
end

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
Meh. I was just winging it then, anyway.

I'll try to give another step-by-step play here:
  1. The past self summons the future self. (So lets say the past self is at time 0 seconds and the future self is at time 8 seconds.)
  2. The past self functions normally and the future self patrols around the past self. (Past self goes from time 0 seconds to 6 seconds; future self goes from 8 seconds to 14 seconds.)
  3. The past self returns to wherever it came from.
  4. Time passes. (6s to 8s)
  5. The past self is now at time = 8 seconds, so he relives what the former future self did when he was at time = 8s to 14s.
  6. The future self (which was the past self until recently) ends up however he ended up at time = 14 seconds.
  7. You are now free to move about the country.

Veno

Reaction score
So I realize this spell is majorly old, but I like the idea... I may try to implement something similar with a few modifications:

1. When you use the skill, it summons "future you" to help. He has the same items (a clone) but has X amount more experience (roughly 2-3 levels) - enough that it is not feasible to reach his level in the duration. You can control both units.

2. When you get to the amount of experience for that level (EDIT: when you reach the experience level of "future you"), your hero disappears (through some nice spell effect portal) for the duration ["past you" cast the spell] and returns with more experience (the same amount you earned when you first cast the spell during it's duration).

3. Since there is no "flashback" you can have the disappearance happen much later on from when the spell was cast instead of immediately after and it could occur in a multiplayer game/no paradoxes. This also allows multiple casts between the time warps.
[Essentially, the hero goes through time, but not the player at the keyboard.]

4. Either the duration needs to be really low and/or the player can do something (perhaps pick the location he reappears by moving a dummy unit? see a ghost image on the map at its location? both?) while his hero is off in the past.

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
If you want to do that, you're more than welcome to use my code to do whatever you'd like. You can also post your version of the spell in this thread and I'll add it to the first post.

A lot of the methods used in this spell are really out of date, though, because I wrote it when I couldn't use vJASS. I started to remake this spell properly, but I gave up. Not sure why... :p

Veno

Reaction score
Well, I only just learned that JASS even existed at all about a week ago so... hah!

Another version just came to mind (which I like way better and it's actually much easier):

You control a hero. You summon "future you" who is about 10 seconds (spell duration) ahead of you in the timeline... identical based on experience. You have 2 heroes, both of which you control for the duration. After the duration, "past you" disappears (this is the beginning of the spell for "future you" but the end of it for "past you"), and you continue playing with 1 hero, "future you".

The hero at time 0 is A.
The hero at time 10 is B.
The hero at time 11+ is C.

At time 0, A summons B.
At time 10, A becomes B and is summoned by A (aka - he vanishes), B becomes C.
You continue playing C.

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much.

It needed a vJASS update that never happened, anyway, so it's not really like the spell is any worse off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.