Cinematic Terrain of Warcraft

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Terrain of Warcraft

What is a Terrain Cinematic?

A terrain cinematic is a cinematic showing terrain from different angles making it in motion.

Why am I doing this?

I`ve been inspired by Madsen`s cinematic and Cinematic Tri-X to do this.

Information:

Well, I've been inspired by the youtube video called Cinematic Tri-x that has many terrain pieces in one map used to create a cinematic showing the terrain in motion. Basically, I've created the terrain for the first version. I will be adding more and more terrain scenes making a nice cinematic. The map will be openable for people to learn some tricks in terraining or if people want to know how the terrain is done.

Terrain Pieces Included:

Mountian City
Lonely Village
Cathedral of Light
Skeleton Dungeon
Kakariko Forest
The Great Deku Tree

What I Need?

I don't need anyone to help me but critisim and feedback on my screenshots.

What i will do?

I will terrain my cinemtaic and use the needed animations too. Im doing all the object editor stuff too and creating all the trigger's.

Future Plans:
The Sacred Grove
Castle CourtYard
Naga City

Some of the screenshots are place hoders so I've updated them but I didn't make the screenshot of the updated terrain. This is because I didn't have the time and Im more in a hurry to finish the project in my free time then to take the screenshots. The new screenshots may be taken by the end of the week when I finally have more free time. At the moment, I work on this project 1 hour a day.

ScreenShots:

Untitled-86.jpg

Untitled-84.jpg

Untitled-89.jpg

Untitled-87.jpg

Untitled-88.jpg

Untitled-82.jpg

Untitled-81.jpg

Chanelog:
Update 1:

-Got rid of the old terrain and replaced it with new terrian
-Finished all the triggers that will be used in the cinematic
-Got new models for the project
-Made new terrain pieces
-Added new screenshots
-Updated the first post

Estimated Release Date of Version 1.0:

Tuesday May 19th, 2009
Update 2:

-Finished a lot of the terrain
-95% of the terrain done
-Updated some Screenshots
Update 3:

-Released Version 1.0
-I released this so quick because I managed to make a lot of free time and I used it to finish the first version. The first version will be updated many times with new terrain to show. Download at the first post.

Version 1.0

Progress:
Terrain: 100%
Triggers: 100%
Models: 100%

Overall: 100%

Attachments

• Terrain of Warcraft.w3x
    353 KB · Views: 322

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you need someone to help, post in the AD Wall thread.

Also, as far as I remember, you're not very experienced in terraining at all. Are you sure you didn't want to get some practice before making a terrain-based map?
And before teaching people
> "some tricks in terraining or if people want to know how the terrain is done."

Also, couldn't you think of a better name for the map? This is like making a TD called 'Tower Defence', or an Arena called 'Arena'

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I don`t show much of my terrain becaus eof my laptop keyboard. I`ll change the map name once I get a idea of the map. Like shown, i`ve already worked on the terrain. I might change a few things but not too much. I`ll post on ADWall is people will actually be intrested in this.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could we get some screenshots?

Also, judging by this, this or this, your terrain seems pretty bad. :p

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Check all the other terrain pics I`ve done. I added 3 screenshots, got my keyboard to work. I didn`t add the green fog so I`ll retake them. What`s so bad about the last 2 links except floating trees and i`ve made those a year ago.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It seems nearly identical to a different terrain cinematic I saw... =|

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Cool, but you should also take this with an attitude to learn.

About your previous works, you seem to always try to bunch everything - doodads, effects, etc - in one place. Your design is nice, but the actual execution of the placement is bad. Like in the first screenshot, a lot of those trees are like in a straight line, and they aren't in the ground, they are floating in the air.

For the second and third pictures, the idea is cool, but it's not clean. It looks so jagged and rough. You can use those pillars as walls for the spikes on top too, but find another doodad to fill the gaps in with a nicer design, perhaps smoother too.
And... the angle for the second picture is bad, lol.

The last one is nice though, I like that. :)

Good luck!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
The temple part seems so similar to cinematic TRI X and the orc barracks too, I remembered one part showing that.

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
But that lacks creativity and It wasn't good. Why don't you try to create a snowy or blizzard scene or even better a underwater scene :)

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Thanks for comments. About the first picture, I'll try to change the models used for tree's. The second picture has that wierd angle because I wanted to use it for the cinematic when changing camera to camera. I guess that won't work. For the insides, well that was the hard part because i didn't want to massively import my map so Im trying to use only wc3 models. Im kinda lost at what model to use as a roof top. The effects are used to make the temple look more magical not just still rock walls and statues. Im finished making a cave scene with undead but it looks kinda empty to me. Need to add something to it. Underwater scene can probably be made. Ill add a part to my first post saying future plans.

While working on the sunken ruins part, Im gonna post a WIP of my undead cave. It doesn't look so great and I need help on what to add and what to remove. I got 2 pics. Here they are:
Untitled-38.jpg

Untitled-39.jpg

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see flat ground and flying rocks.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Gonna change the flying rocks soon. Flat ground, well it would be hard to make it more wavy and stuff but Ill try.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> well it would be hard to make it more wavy and stuff but Ill try.
I find it easy to click the "Raise tool" and click around a bit.
I guess that makes me a pro?

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Gonna update the screenshots soon. After i try adding rockspires to make it look more real. Here's another screenshot. I think it need s work but don't know what.
Untitled-40.jpg

Actually Romek, its because its a tight space, its hard to set your camera so your not blocked by raised terrain and the rocks that make the cave,a nd the terrain is on a angle of the map so its not perfectly square. Added a few rock spires and stuff. Removed the obelisks. Here's the screenshots now:
Untitled-41.jpg

Untitled-42.jpg

thewrongvine

Reaction score
You can change the height of doodads. Don't remember exactly, but I think a shortcut is to select the doodad and hold control and press up/down for height. Really handy.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
No, I know how to increase doodad hieghts. I think you understood the comments wrong. I need comments on the pics for improvments or to just leave them alone.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Ah, okay.

Well, in my opinion, the doodad choice isn't all too good. Things seem randomly placed, you need a good theme for everything.

For the second screenshot in the edited pictures, you could like add some bones or corpses around, and vary the rock types.

Try getting screenshots and taking out the other things like the World Editor window, it really takes a lot away from the actual picture. :D And you need better angles...

:thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.