Terrain Opinion

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
I am starting now on my next miniproject, Tank Assault, and would like an opinion on the starting terrain before I continue. It will be a single player, yet hopefully fun and addictive, arrow key based game :). Here is the map; I only have a the very first part of the terrain down. :D

The plot will be something like a squad of soldiers holed up in a town, which is now ablaze from the artillery and fighting; they send their best soldier out in a tank to break through the enemy lines and call in reinforcements. You can move your tank with the arrow keys, fire the gun with spacebar, and fire missles with esc (no triggers done yet though :p). If you want, you can use this terrain for your own purposes, but I'd like to know what other people think of my terraining before I totally commit myself. :p (Btw, I'm open to suggestions/ideas about the map itself too :D)

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Spacebar and ESC can be used?

How do you turn around?

Have you considered changing tank altitudes and such with the click on the keyboard?

-----

Looks pretty good, but I can tell you don't excel in terrain :D

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Lol, when a player skips a cinematic and when a player presses spacebar ... I think ... :)

Any suggestions on how to improve the TERRAIN? :p :D And yes, I'm not a master terrainer, this is my first real terrain job, but I still like it :D.
And, you won't be able to turn around :p. At least not directly; you will be able to go forward, left, and right only :p. Ill make it so that this is possible. The road won't be really big, so you won't get stuck or anything. I might add a 'gunner' mode, where the tank moves along automatically, and you are basically the first person turret shooter, where you move your turret left and right, up and down :p. It is meant to be a sidegame, sort of like your turret shooter game :p. I'm pretty good with cinematics, so I'll include those as well :D

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
You can't skip a cinematic if there isn't a cinematic.

What will the the camera point and what is the event?

Not so many flames. This can really lag up the game...eventually

What's with all of the purple boxes? Find some way to put less doodads for the terrain.

If it's a town of sorts, where are the mountains, the diversity, the...well, I think you get this point. I hope you're not done with the town, because it really lacks :D

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Underneath the burning houses, you should put a different tile instead of the grass, try a mixture of dirt and rocks?

The smoke doodads look weird, I wouldnt use them at all.

also, I would Noise + Smooth the rest of the map.

Perhaps some dead villagers?

What destroyed the town? you could add remnants of the siegers, possibly orc banners?

Maybe you should roughen up the path a bit more to add to the destruction feel.

The pillars/Obelisks on the ends of the walls are different sizes.

Maybe add water features - a stream, pond or waterfall

More heighted terrain - Cliffs and hills

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
All right, thanks :D

Ya, im not done with it yet (spent 10 minutes doing that :p). Thanks for the input, I'll change it in a sec :D

The smoke doodads were supposed to show where the artillery weapons bombarded the ground; I may just make an event in a cinematic to show how it happens. The town isn't COMPLETELY destroyed yet --- lol, maybe it is, fromt eh way my map looks :p. I forgot about the villagers, yes, I will add some dead townsfolk. Ill change up the outer wall part too --- it's really supposed to be a semi-modern semi-rural town area. The soldiers are fighting from inside there --- I'll change it to make it seem more realistic ^^ lol. Although the town was at least partially evacuated, so there won't be too many. I still need to make the plotline -_-.

@Rinpun: yes, I think you can, actually, it happened to me on the LotR; the Fellowship. If you press esc at ALL there, then it autoboots you -_- :p. Oh, and ya, I was using the game view settings, so I didn't really notice how many doodads there :p. I almost did't believe it when it said 613 lol :p.

Ill add some water features later in the map. Maybe a stream outside the entrance, but I don't really want water inside the town :p; right now, I just want to give the appearance of besieged soldiers fighting a blazing foreign town; the enemy hasn't actually entered yet, maybe I'll add some corpses by the entrance.

The pillars were different sizes? MEH, thats right, I had random scale still on :p.
Ill roughen up the path, and whatnot, but the rest of the map is basically going to be through wilderness (left room for expansion) so . . . don't worry, I'll change it, I'm far from finished :D.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.