Terraining - Dark Scenery

Did this tutorial help you make darker scenery?

• Hell Yes!

Votes: 49 40.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • A little...

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Not even remotely...

Votes: 15 12.3%

• Total voters

Void

Reaction score
Wow...

Really nice tutorial, one thing to add, instead of using Blizzard's cliff water use the whole thing with raising plateauing waterifying leveling and lowering process to get natural water. :p

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Really nice tutorial, one thing to add, instead of using Blizzard's cliff water use the whole thing with raising plateauing waterifying leveling and lowering process to get natural water. :p

it is not, or never was my intention to teach you generic terraining tricks, the goal was to demonstrate the use of doodads/units for use in a specific darker setting

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
sorry for the 8 month bump if its not allowed ..
This tutorial is AMAZING! I have very basic terraining experience but the use of doodads in this tutorial taught me lots of things. Its also easy to understand.

Heres some screenshots that of wat i have done using only this tutorial: (800x600 images)(Btw, can u get the sky to show up in the editor? or is it only ingame?)

I think tutorial will be useful for any maps i decide to make in the future. Thx Again, +rep =D

Also i think that something u can add to make the terrain more spookier is to change the color tint of the water to dark teal, i did that in the screenshots

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
(Btw, can u get the sky to show up in the editor? or is it only ingame?)

Also i think that something u can add to make the terrain more spookier is to change the color tint of the water to dark teal, i did that in the screenshots

If you press the key "V" in the editor, it will switch to game view

:p i prefer using light or dark gray on the water tint, but dark teal looks good :D

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hey mate, very good job. I'm still fairly new at mapping and I really liked this scene and your way of making it look uptight. I was hoping someone would be able to explain how to change the watertint though..

Anyways, thanks.

(Please IM me or PM me.)

death_knight

Dark is the heart of a corrupted man.
Reaction score
Something Missing...

It is a very good tutorial. it really helped me with the single player maps I'm working on. Very good. One thing that i think is missing is a way to keep the ghosts in the area if there was no river. I will do that here:

Note: This is a very simple version and you may want to Advance it a bit more for your area.

Keeping In the Ghosts
Events
Unit - A unit leaves Dark Scenery Area <gen>
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Leaving unit)) Equal to Ghost
Actions
Unit - Order (Leaving unit) to Move To (Center of Dark Scenery Area <gen>)

If Human or Computer Players other than Neutral Passive/Hostile can own ghosts, then you will need to use the approprite number of "Player Comparison" conditions to varify the correct owner(s).

Don't Use "Unit - Move Unit (Instantly) because it looks a little bit weird if 1 second the ghost is at the edge of the region and next second he is in the middle of it.

I might make a thread with a detailed tutorial on this later, but this should do for a lot of simple cases.

My Tip: Don't have empty spaces around your Dark Scenery area because it will look unusual if a ghost stops in the middle of no-where outside the dark scenery and then come back into it.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Must admit, the works that people have done that are based off of you are pretty impressive. Good job on this! :thup:

Ghoulord

Reaction score
cool scenery... and its given me a great idea for a undead cult type thing! where you can use like a broken down cathedral or something as a centre piece, and the odd 'evil' rune here or there...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.