Terraining

MagnaGuard

Reaction score
Hey I am going to make a game like dota but different heros etc. (do they call them aos?) I need some help on terraining so I can make it special in its own way. Can you help?

G

Gojhin

I could probably help you out, I've always found terraining to be one of my better qualities.

w00t22

CSS L4D DoD? Steam ID = w00t22
Reaction score
ugh i hate terraining every time i do it, it sucks. i get my friends to do it. GL

H

HamsterBoo

I've always found it's best to make the cliffs first (make sure the ramps can go where you want them to, ramps are very moody with me). Then probably add in water (rivers and stuff). Remember, the waterfall doodad is your friend when it comes to rivers going down cliffs. The editor gets really moody when you use grass cliffs and dirt water banks (or any other two different things like that). Put all the buildings in, keeping in mind trees still have to go in. Then add in textures, then trees (just select a really big brush and go crazy). Add finishing touches of trees with a smaller brush. Put in doodads, creeps, and stuff and your done.

P.S. If you are making a dota style map, just make a LOT of trees, then remove trees where you dont want them. This way you can make paths through forests without much difficulty.

I would tell you how to use city type cliffs and stuff, but I dont know that either (I don't terrain much, really just starting the whole world editor thing (I'm mostly learning as I'm attempting to make a HUGE rpg)).

The Arcot

Reaction score
If youre going for looks, I find its best to avoid Blizzard cliffs and ramps whenever possible. See the spoiler for a technique on how to make straight rivers/lakes whatever with gentle banks and beaches.

First, go to Advanced and make sure 'Enforce Water Height Limits' is unchecked. Then, lower the ground in one spot using the apply height tool, and then, starting in the place you lowered the ground, use the +1 cliff tool to outline where you want the water to be. Once you're done this, put shallow water on top of all the cliffs. You will find that there is water hovering over the land where you did this. Use the lower/raise/smooth tools to make it look nice. Then add doodads or whatever.

Anyway, cliffs are still good for making areas inaccessible without using up the tree limit. What's the general 'feel' you're looking to make (like a forest, or frozen wasteland)?

NetherHawk

Reaction score
i think your method is the waterfall kinda thing.
@magnaguard go to the tutorials repository and check out the terraining tutorials there, they have awesome sceneries.

MagnaGuard

Reaction score
Well the tutorial of terraining I saw didn't help much. It just helps with buildings mostly.

G

Gilles

First, don't use cliffs, use raise ground. Read some tutorials on making hills, and moutnains.

Just don't be scared to use a ton of doodads. Also I would suggest using custom tree models. The blizzard ones are ugly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.