Sci/Tech Tevatron atom smasher to close in September

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The 25-year-old Tevatron particle accelerator in the US will end its operations in September this year since no funds are available to extend its life for three more years.

The Tevatron is located at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) in Batavia, Illinois, and accelerates and collides protons and antiprotons traveling around a four-mile loop at almost the speed of light. The results of the collisions enable researchers to study the structure of matter.

Scientists working with the Tevatron had hoped it would be able to keep running for another three years, giving them the chance to find the Higgs boson (also known as the “God particle”) before their European counterparts using the much newer 17-mile loop Large Hadron Collider (LHC). Now they have been told the funds are not available.

Last edited:

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
not like it matters. the LHC is larger and newer. why have 2 things trying to do the same thing. Now that money could go somewhere else.

KillerChi

Reaction score
Have I ever told you the public really irritates me? Well, this is a good example of idiocy at large. This is important stuff. So much potential, so much to learn in that little known field.

@Slapshot Very.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
No, idiocy at large would be funding it when there are no funds at the expense of using that money in other aspects of society... you realize even how much it costs to keep one of these places running?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.