Crime Texas students sent from classroom to courtroom

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
SPRING, TEX. — In a small courtroom north of Houston, a fourth-grader walked up to the bench with his mother. Too short to see the judge, he stood on a stool. He was dressed in a polo shirt and dark slacks on a sweltering summer morning.

“Guilty,” the boy’s mother heard him say.

He had been part of a scuffle on a school bus.

In another generation, he might have received only a scolding from the principal or a period of detention. But an array of get-tough policies in U.S. schools in the past two decades has brought many students into contact with police and courts — part of a trend some experts call the criminalization of student discipline.

Now, such practices are under scrutiny nationally. Federal officials want to limit punishments that push students from the classroom to courtroom, and a growing number of state and local leaders are raising similar concerns.

In Texas, the specter of harsh discipline has been especially clear.

Here, police issue tickets: Class C misdemeanor citations for offensive language, class disruption, schoolyard fights. Thousands of students land in court, with fines of up to $500. Students with outstanding tickets may be arrested after age 17.

---------------------------
Aren't you glad you don't live in Texas? Well I do and its a damn shame that the lamers at Spring have to ruin it for the rest of us. Expel the student. Don't fine the parents and let them stay in school.

Last edited:

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
Sighz.
The government needs to spend money on different things. These children are too immature to even understand what they're going through in court. It's only a waste of money. To the children, a visit to the court room is no different to a visit to the principal's office for detention. Yet, for the government, one court case will cost thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars, for what, a petty scuffle in a bus?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
If I have zero tolerance for stupid shit can I fine Texas?

In Texas, school stuff is done district by district. It is not a whole state kind of thing except for the standardized tests. You would have to live in that district to sue or complain and since you don't then you really can't do shit except sit back and laugh at the dumbasses like the rest of us. Just saying....

Mahucharn

I wear a fez now, fezzes are cool.
Reaction score
While I do not believe that this is the right way to go, I'm sure that it does work. $500 dollar fines seems to be too much though. Also, I am of the opinion that it should only be applied to fights/inturrption that makes it impossible to teach. I definitely hear the arguments on both sides. All in all, I think the fines should be reduced to something much less (<$50) and only applied when absolutely necessary. There are some kids that you just cannot deal with (I've led a boy scout troop for 5 years) and that will not listen to you no matter what (I also have relatives that teach). This does not mean that I believe in heavy fines, but it's just like corporal punishment-it works.

If you disagree with me, please kindly state your reasoning and be respectful about it. I do not want to feel like I cannot post my opinions in this sub forum without massive backlash (not that I expect this to happen), just sayin'.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
While I do not believe that this is the right way to go, I'm sure that it does work. $500 dollar fines seems to be too much though. Also, I am of the opinion that it should only be applied to fights/inturrption that makes it impossible to teach. I definitely hear the arguments on both sides. All in all, I think the fines should be reduced to something much less (<$50) and only applied when absolutely necessary. There are some kids that you just cannot deal with (I've led a boy scout troop for 5 years) and that will not listen to you no matter what (I also have relatives that teach). This does not mean that I believe in heavy fines, but it's just like corporal punishment-it works.

If you disagree with me, please kindly state your reasoning and be respectful about it. I do not want to feel like I cannot post my opinions in this sub forum without massive backlash (not that I expect this to happen), just sayin'.

What happened to when they just suspended you for a while?

Mahucharn

Reaction score
How does taking a child out of school help them learn what they've done wrong or encourage them not to do it? Many kids nowadays view suspension as a vacation (in my experience). Also, if you were trying to teach the kids something, wouldn't you want them to attend school? It gives the school more money from the state when more kids show up, and it helps them do better as well.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
How does taking a child out of school help them learn what they've done wrong or encourage them not to do it? Many kids nowadays view suspension as a vacation (in my experience). Also, if you were trying to teach the kids something, wouldn't you want them to attend school? It gives the school more money from the state when more kids show up, and it helps them do better as well.

Well if two kids fight, the school should suspend them. They don't want those guys in their building. Plus, just cause 10 more people are in their school for a few days doesn't mean they'll get thousands of dollars for it.

Mahucharn

Reaction score
The schools currently do suspend them; however, this hinders their education by keeping them out of school. What if the kids did not fight because they did not want to have fines imposed upon them? Not only do the kids get suspended, but their parents have to deal with the kids at home as well (this can mean taking days off of work, which can decrease their income). A $15 fine (low enough to stay out of court) will do a lot less damage/cost a lot less long term than suspending a kid will.

EDIT: Just for the record, I do not support the arrests.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain my education was hindered by having to sit in class.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score

my school does in-school suspensions, where you come in, go to the office, get the work that the teacher passes down to the office, and you stay there the entire day.

Mahucharn

Reaction score
Wise are you, Jedimindtrixx. Wait... what just happened? Anyway.. that is a good idea and could be beneficial. At my school the way it works (I think) is that you have to make up all of the work from that day, but you get no credit for it (same treatment as for cutting classes).

@Vypur85 Again, corporal punishment does work, so long as it is used in moderation (you don't want to break anything).

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
my school does that also, its much more effective than out-of-school suspensions

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
If I live in Texas, my family would have been bankrupt by now.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The probrem is that parents do not disciprine their kids anymore! (I am serious though)

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
The probrem is that parents do not disciprine their kids anymore! (I am serious though)
I personally don't support abuse. Although it might have some quality effects, it may cause some serious problems for the child as he/she grows up.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Such a courageous little boy...

But seriously... Isn't this going a bit far? I mean, it's like taking away a major Part of that Child's Childhood.
Zero Tolerance ? Seriously ?

Texas once had this Zero Tolerance crap... Not law-wise, but I've heard that (any kind of ) Zero Tolerance causes severe damage to social life. It also made Texas look like the most intolerant state in the USA racism-wise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.