The Bible is Sexist

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
What's the reason?

It antagonizes women and makes men superior. It's the same reason why Eve is made from Adam's ribs instead of the other way around.

Saying the story is a "figurative analogy" is cherrypicking. Christians say some parts of the bible are true and some are just "symbols." Either you believe it all or you believe none of it.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Saying the story is a "figurative analogy" is cherrypicking. Christians say some parts of the bible are true and some are just "symbols." Either you believe it all or you believe none of it.

The essays and letters written by Paul are quite literal. Jesus' many parables are symbolic (they're stories, duh). Everything else is accepted as truth. I can't recall any exceptions. So I disagree with that statement.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
/agree with Ninva.
Aside from that I have nothing to say. The Bible treats women far better than society does.
Ephesians 5:25 (NIV) said:
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
There's a lot in this if you consider the world did not want Christ's sacrifice, and relate that to where the Bible says wives submit to your husbands. The Bible has a fantastic stance on sexuality, it respects both genders for who they are.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
why is everyone using NIV. i have never seen so much Christian fail in my life >.>

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
The essays and letters written by Paul are quite literal. Jesus' many parables are symbolic (they're stories, duh). Everything else is accepted as truth. I can't recall any exceptions. So I disagree with that statement.

I was addressing whoever said Adam and Eve are just an analogy. As I read it, you would disagree with him?

Reaction score
It antagonizes women and makes men superior. It's the same reason why Eve is made from Adam's ribs instead of the other way around.

It is not cherry picking when you consider that many parts of the Bible must be figurative in order to be true. It logically follows from acceptance of the Bible that those parts which are absurd when taken literally, must have been intended figuratively.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
why is everyone using NIV. i have never seen so much Christian fail in my life >.>

I'm sorry, but I don't want to spend the time reading the other hundred translations. It may be a sin for saying so, but NIV is rather accurate.

I was addressing whoever said Adam and Eve are just an analogy. As I read it, you would disagree with him?

Yes, I do.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
It is not cherry picking when you consider that many parts of the Bible must be figurative in order to be true. It logically follows from acceptance of the Bible that those parts which are absurd when taken literally, must have been intended figuratively.

Why must they be taken figuratively to be true? Is a woman being made from a man's rib or a man surviving in the belly of a whale really less likely than a man coming back from the dead?

And Ninva I can't fault you if you believe everything literally, I was addressing those who say some is true and some isn't. I respect your faith.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
If you want to continue head over to the debate forum.

I'll see you in a few days to close that one [del]when[/del] if you get out of hand. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.