The Big Helper.net Knowledge Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Sticky please?

The Grand TheHelper.net Knowledge Book of Warcraft 3 Editor​

I read the same questions all over again, people don't use search function, and even if they (or I) do, I often don't find what I'm looking for.

I wish to create a perspicuous list of all the "small things", the problems and solutions concerning the object and trigger editor, how to make this, how to make that, why does this do that, etc.
It's like a FAQ.

It will probably be never finishes, as the knowledge of map editing keeps growing at all times.
Nevertheless, we can just redirect novice map editing people to this thread when they ask something trivial. A lot easier to search and look through.

Please do contribute all who can. Give more questions, solutions, and correct my grammar mistakes.

A single problem/question can have multiple solutions/answers.

I'll edit this post when something new and/or more is posted.

Begin!

Q: I created an ability based on Root (the ability of the ancients). The problem is, when I want to root my unit down somewhere, and the unit reaches the destination, it tells me I can't root there.
A: You probably set the Stats - Collision Size too low in the object editor. Try a higher value.

Q: I made a new unit (building) in the object editor. However, when I place it, the unit walks up to the site and starts building, the structure blows up instantly.
A: Structures can't have less than 5 HP.
If by all means you want your structure with less than 5 HP, you have to create another structure, with more than 5 hp, and create a trigger as follows:
Trigger:
  • ChangeBuilding
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes construction
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to <Your5+hpBuilding>
    • Actions
      • Unit - Replace (Triggering unit) with a <Your5-hpBuilding> using The new unit's default life and mana

Q: What is a dummy unit, and how do I make/use one?
A: Dummy units are units with somewhat special stats. They are used to create Mass <whatever> abilities (such as Mass Entangle), and/or to make channeling abilities independent of the caster (like Rain of Fire will keep going even if the caster is doing something else).
They are also used to crate special effects in mid-air.
To make a dummy unit search for a tutorial here on the site (tutorial section). I would go into detail, although it is quite lengthy, but I don't wish to copy other people's work.

Q: What is a Memory Leak, and what should I do to prevent them?
A: Memory leaks are rubbish left by your novice coding :p
Memory leaks will make your game laggy and spiky if they accumulate, especially if they are leaking from a loop.
Locations and groups are the most common leaks.
There are several tutorials that explain better and more throughly, and help you to clean them up.

Q:I made / I'm using a Damage Detection System (8.), and the game closes /gets lagbombed sometimes.
A: You probably used the system to, by any way, deal damage to the damaged unit. This causes an infinite loop, which drops you from the game.
To solve this, before damaging the unit, turn off the Damage Detection System trigger, and after the damage is done, turn it back.

Q: What is a spellbook? What is the spellbook trick?
A: Spellbook is an item ability (that can be set to hero or unit), which when opened, brings up another set of abilities.
The spellbook trick is used to hide a passive ability (its icon), whilst it still works.
To do this, create a spellbook ability, based on the spellbook ability.
Create your passive ability, for example Critical Strike, or Evasion, and put that ability in the spellbook. Give the spellbook to your unit. After that, create a trigger like this:
Trigger:
  • HidePassiveAbility
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 1.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Player - Disable &lt;YourSpellBook&gt; for (Picked player)

There are several tutorials on using spellbooks (how to make it effective with heroes and such), do read and use them!

Q: How do I make a passive ability that has a chance on each attack to cast something?
A: There are different approaches.
A1: Create a new ability based on Orb of Lightning (new). Create another ability, that should be casted upon attack. Set the field Data - Effect Ability to your upon attack ability or spell. Give this Orb of Lightning based ability to your unit. This will though leave a darkish icon. You can remove that with the spellbook trick (6.).
A2: Trigger the thing. You will probably need one trigger for each ability.
The trigger looks like:
Trigger:
  • Chance on Attack
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Random integer number between 1 and 100) Less than or equal to 15
    • Actions
      • Do something

In the actions you will probably want to create a dummy unit and make it cast an ability (3.).
Please note, that this method is said to be abusable, as a player can repeatedly click on an enemy to attack, and therefore the ability occurs more often in a given time. However, I never had such problems. But if you do, you can use a Damage Detection System (8.) to replace unit is attacked

Q: What is a Damage Detection System and how is it done?
A: Damage Detection System is a method to dynamically create new events to a trigger, and therefore detect any unit taking damage.
The most basic example:

Trigger:
  • DamageDetection 1
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 1.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Trigger - Add to Damage Detection 0 &lt;gen&gt; the event (Unit - (Picked unit) Takes damage)

Trigger:
  • DamageDetection 2
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters (Playable map area)
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Add to Damage Detection 0 &lt;gen&gt; the event (Unit - (Triggering unit) Takes damage)

Trigger:
  • Damage Detection 0
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Do something

Before using it to deal any damage, please see 5.
There are also several tutorials and already made systems to do this more effectively, use search!

Q: How do I make auras effect buildings? I set the aura to target structures as well.
A: If you haven't, change the aura to target structures. When done, your structures are effected, however to see the buffs showing up, go to Gameplay Constants (in Warcraft III World Editor main window, Advanced tab), and change Building - Status Display to true (it's around the top).

Q: I created a custom spell based on Windwalk. I set it not to deal backstab damage, but it still shows up a 0!
A: Set Stats - Targets Allowed to none.

Q: I made a unit based on Druid of the Talon/Druid of the Claw/Gargoyle/Snap Dragon/Any Ancient/Any Main Building/Anything that can morph by default, and the animation is acting up all crazy
A: When you morph/upgrade/whatever your unit, Warcraft 3 automatically assigns it an Animation Tag.
For example if you want your morphed gargoyle not be a stone statue, make a trigger like this:

Trigger:
  • RemoveAnimationTag
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to &lt;YourMorph&gt;
    • Actions
      • Animation - Remove the &lt;whatever&gt; animation tag to (Triggering unit)

You can also add animation tag, and whatever animation tag you desire.

To make a unit HAVE a tag by default, for example you always want a peon to carry a sack of gold, go to Unit Editor, find your peon, and add gold (in this case) to Art - Required Animation Names.

Q: I made an ability based on Root, and I want to link triggers to it, how do I detect root/uproot?
A: This is not very possible, but there are ways around it.
To detect uproot, you can detect if a unit is ordered to do that (unroot).
To detect root, you should detect when a unit is ordered to root, and save the point or the coordinates of the target place, and periodically check when the distance between unit and that location is zero.
This is not very easy and I do not recommend it to novice GUI users, as there is no premade system for that (yet!)

Q: How do I allow negative values in the object editor?
A: Go to the editor's main window, click the File tab, click Preferences, and on General tab, allow negative values.
Then in the object editor, hold down shift when you open a field, and you can enter negative values.
Please note, that some negative values may mess your map up, like causing disconnects. Try avoid illogical things, such as negative range (I don't know if that would do something, but you see my point :) ).

...To be continued quite soon

This is all for now, I'm getting tired. :)
Do add your thoughts and such!

Scary Nachos

Castro flashing Gang Signs!
Reaction score
Maybe you could add.... a bit about regions? multiboards? leaderboards? where you can find some tutorials? how to import? how to use sound editor? Jass?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
This post defeats the purpose of there being a WE Help forum...

If you're going to do a post like this, rather than provide all the information, link to posts where the problems have been answered, this is called an "Index" thread.

Faust

Reaction score
This post defeats the purpose of there being a WE Help forum...
No. Unless you believe that the purpose of the helpers on thehelper.net is to answer a handful of questions over and over again.

There are always new things, and unique problems.

If you're going to do a post like this, rather than provide all the information, link to posts where the problems have been answered, this is called an "Index" thread.

This is unfinished yet. You can't put something like this together in one day. And I don't plan myself being the only one collecting stuff.
Problems are getting answered. But I'm nor able nor willing to compress pages of tutorials into a few paragraph.
Links are indeed a good idea and was thinking about them. They are coming up later today if not tomorrow (well most of them).

Until then, give me more questions!

Maybe you could add.... a bit about regions? multiboards? leaderboards? where you can find some tutorials? how to import? how to use sound editor? Jass?
Add what? :) If I had any questions about regions, or multi-/leaderboards, I would already have posted them.

Post questions you far too often see on thehelper, or questions you don't know the answer to.

Faust

Reaction score
Hm, never heard of that before. And I'm unsure whether it's a good idea.
Anyway, slightly different.
Let's keep both for now.

Tooblet

Reaction score
wow

Wow, I know ALOT of little things you can abuse and modify in the object editor and such but a few of those things I did not know.
Makes me wonder how many more things there are I don't know about!

Like shiftclicking a value allows you to put in a negative value if u have that option checked in.
Those things changes the way you make maps in tiny ways, But you have no idéa of knowing them unless you stumble upon them.

so, great thread, keep it up :)

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
This could potentially become useful.
Although it definitely needs a better layout ;) .

Although BlackRose (And I) already had one of these FAQ's.
They don't really go anywhere :p .

Faust

Reaction score
How about all those who bitch about this stop, and try to construct it, make it better?
I checked that thread. Slightly different. Of course (all threads are :nuts:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.