Tutorial The Complete Guide to JASS, vJASS, and cJASS

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
You may want to consider writing for the wiki by the way. I think this guide was attempted to be organized like a wiki, though obviously, due to this being a forum, didn't quite work.

Oh, also, this was really designed to be a book : p, lol.

That's why I had chapters and not categories ... ><

That's also why they had a specific order to them

W/e, I'm working on a sweet parser and documentation writer thing for the resource manager ^_-, going to move all the content on there. It'll be better and easier to write too ; \.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
I don't understand why teaching all of these languages together is a bad idea?

I do go over all of the syntax, but I don't go over where these different styles come from, =). Overall, I just stick with cJASS syntax through the guide, but the guide does expose JASS and vJASS syntax ;o.

Anywho, I've almost got my JASS/vJASS/cJASS/Zinc parser ready (I finally got a list of all the types) with all the highlighting etc, so I'll probably transfer this guide on to a full site with chapters like it's really meant to be and just link to it. Also, being able to do javascript and ajax and so on helps out too. I might even do a little text editor for earlier chapters to show results and catch early syntax errors, maybe even implement quizzes, who knows ^_^.

Also, the parser has a lot to do with the application I'm working on, the documentation writer I'm working on, the resource browser : o. You know I haven't slept in 3 days ; p, I kid you not, lol. I'm not even tired, I've just been going at it o-o. Might pull another all nighter tonight to get the parser 100% done by thanksgiving, then I''ll be driving out the door by 5 am to catch mah flight to Las Vegas = D.

Yea, I'll be offline for a few days all ;o.

Oh well, that's the news ^_^.

On a final note, I think the basics chapter and introduction to Trigger Editor chapter (1 and 2) are perfect ^_^.

The others thought might still need some work, and I really don't know what you guys want me to do. If I go saying, JASS does this and vJASS does this and cJASS does this and split them all up like that, it'll just confuse newcomers. I just wanted to introduce them to all of the different ways and then really teach them through my own personal fav, c way ; 0.

The explanations are rubbish, you simply describe what each thing does, which isn't a particularly great way of teaching. Some of those tasks are ridiculous too.

I don't get what you mean by that Romek. I describe what each thing is and what it does and I provide full examples.

Now the exercises I know are very difficult, lol. I figure if you can do them, then you def know your stuff ^_-. Introduction to arrays exercise is a linked list, lol. Iteration exercise works off of the fact that arrays have default values ;o, which not even everyone knows, lol. The boolean expression exercises are a bit wild. Actually, there was one exercise I really wanted to do where you determine the output of a script ; ). Was planning to throw a few curve balls in it with order of operations of booleans and really compact/hard to read code with some of the interesting things I showed like-

x++
i++
return x*i
y *= x
int y++--++ = 1
++++y++++
y--*=2*--x--*2+x++
int i = x
x--
int x = 9
++h+++=--x
return y
return h
int h

That was a problem I was hoping to do ; p. Not that hard if you know it, but very confusing if you don't ; ).

Goal is to figure out what each variable is equal to through the end of the function ^_^

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read post #58.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.