The Epic of Gaia:Kingdom of Felai

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Last update - Aug 1st, 2006 at 07:16 PM

Summary
Long ago there was a great battle between the forces of Light and Darkness. Even the old Gods themselves came down from the Heavens to fight alongside mortals in this epic battle. The final place of the clash happened near the ancient city of Krad'Tco. In the end almost all the Gods and mortals alike in the battle fell to the dust, and the ground was ripped open in violent magics. No victor stood at the end of the battle, and the city of Cailean was destroyed.
Three Thousand years later, the Old Gods are forgotten and the new City of Felai has been built near the old battlegrounds. The city prospers in its trade with neighboring kingdoms and has risen into a kingdom of its own. The kingdom is well known for its neutral standing. Everyone is welcome in the great Trade Cities walls as long as they obey the laws. Even the cultist and darker organziations lurk about unmolested.
But a change is coming. High in the mountains a restlessness begins. Old and forgotten beast start to rise and the city finds itself dealing with strange problems. The King sends out messengers to far away kingdoms for heroes to seek out these problems and aid the troubled lands.
You are one of these adventurers...

Overview/Features

The Epic of Gaia is actually a series RPG. This is just the tale of one kingdom among a large world. The basic components and classes will be made as modular as possible to be imported into further maps to continue on the saga.

-Over 20 Classes
-Choice between Good and Evil
-Class Tier System
-Class Quest system (Over 20 set in stone, plus another 35 planned for review)
-Save/Load system, modular, keeps track of player kills and player score for killing
-Modular Engines for respawn and creature control
-Choice between Male and Female
-50 Levels
-HandCrafted and Styled Terrain
-Many Dungeons and Special zones
-Lots of side quest
-Epic Battles
-And more... so tired... so much more to do

Classes

Classes are based off a tier system. You will start as the basic and simple "Adventurer" class. This will allow you to advance to your Base class. Presently I have 5 set in stone, and 2 possibles after the fact. After you select your base class the next class change will split you between two class types. After that you will once again split between two. You could say I have 6 variations of the same 5-7 base classes.
This is just a taste, I want to keep the 4th tier classes in mystery till much later. I also want to keep the final class under wraps, as it may get the axe for different reasons still.

!! 6th Base class announced! Tree huggers and vengeful spirits of the forest rejoice! Druids!!

-Adventurer (Starter)

--Warrior (Base)
---Barbarian (Subclass)
---Knight (Subclass)

--Mage (Base)
---Warlock (Subclass)
---Elementalist (Subclass)

--Priest (Base)
---Cultist (Subclass)
---Prelate (Subclass)

--Archer (Base)
---Sniper (Subclass)
---Hunter (Subclass)

--Rogue (Base)
---Villain (Subclass)
----Assassin (Final Class)
---Thief (Subclass)

***6th Base Class (New)***
--Druid (Base)
---Wrath (Subclass)
---Watcher (Subclass)

Skill growth will be quite a bit different in the game. You will get the usual +1 skill point every level. but you will find at max level you will still not have everything on the character trained to max. This is so each character at max level will be different than the next and players will be able to experience different builds and setups.
Skills will be stored in Spellbooks, the normal interface just cant handle what I am going to ask of it so I need to overload the abilities a bit.

Full Save/Load features

Two types of Save and Load options. Full Save for the following features.
Both are highly modular. Can handle 1296 heroes, level 1296, 36 skill levels for 4 skills, 1.6 mill XP, 1.6mill gp, 1296 lumber slot, 36 houses and 6 banked items with the current character set, character set is rebuildable on the fly.

-Hero Type, Level, Exp, and Skills
-All Carried items and banked items
-Houses and Birth Month
-Gold and Special resources
-PVP kills and scores

Quicksave feature for those who want smaller save/load codes

-Will not remember EXP, Banked items, housing, or anything with PVP

Current Work in Progress

1-2weeks out
-Trying to populate the Monsters till level 25+ (Moving right along, got 7 levels so far, but it gets much steeper after level 15, system has alot of the kinks worked out for balancing these things)
-Enter Tier 2 Heroes into ObjEdit (Got a few in there now, wish I had more models)
-Start Class Quest for up to Tier 2 heroes

Completed Work

Aug 7th, 2006 at 01:09 AM
-Work has been a bit slower this week. Doing the Save/Load Code Tutorial cost me some time for the map
-Completed all the planned Creature Abilities for non-hero/boss. It ended with 185 total, but thats actually 37 abilities at 5 levels each. The system is tiered as well, and built from a template scale (Tier 1 = Level 5, Tier 2 = level 15, tier 3 = 25, tier 4 = 35, tier 5 = 45)
-Worked on banking system. Able to store and load items on the fly and its working in the Save/Load Code

Aug 1st, 2006 at 07:13 PM
-First dungeon completed, filled with creeps and has the boss in place with abilities
-More pathing fixes
-Quest for first 15 levels are planned out. Awaiting time to enter in triggers.
-Up to level 25 creeps planned out. Still entering into the Object Editor.

July 26th, 2006 at 10:28 PM
-All the coding for the Save/Load is done. Some bug fix work needs to be done, seems the gold isnt saving right.
-First 15 levels of creeps are fully populated. Kinda behind on this as it feels too much like data entry :p
-Some pathing fixes performed on the map terrain

July 20th, 2006 at 11:28 PM
-Terrain is 100% done. Such a good feeling to have a whole section of the map progress completed
-All dungeons are enterable now, level caps not established yet till testing starts for each dungeon
-First 7 levels of game exist now as a hack and slash, no quest yet
-First boss mob is in the game (Will have to do a feature on the first dungeon)
-Level 1-50 Templates built for Creeps, and Tier 1/2/3/4 Classes are templated
-Zones level ranges fully mapped out, just awaiting creatures to fill them

Progress
The much neglected progress bar... nope, dont feel like filling it out this week either.

Terrain 100%
Triggers 35%
Objects 31%
Special 15%

Overall 45.25%

FAQ section

Q. Will there be races other than Human for players to play?
A. Yes, but you wont start out as anything besides a human of either female or male.

Q. Will there be PVP?
A. Yes, by default PVP will be on for the map. Trigger will exist for the host to turn off this option for Coop play

Q. Can you beat the map?
A. Yes, the map will have 2 ways to be completed. An option will be available to turn off this though.

Q. Will the map have a central storyline?
A. Yes, it will have a central storyline. You can choose to advance the story, do side quest, grind creatures till you go blind or even just sit there (sitting there is not recommended for leveling)

Q. How will the tiered class system work?
A. You will start as the Adventurer class. Its a basic class, and its good for beginners. Once you hit level 10 a quest will open up. This quest has to be completed by level 15 (Cause I wont have level 50 adventurers floating about). After that you will be awarded your tier 2 class. Once you hit level 20 you will get another class quest. This one will have to be completed by level 25. At level 35 you will get your final class quest, which has to be completed by level 40.

An example of the 4 tier class system is as follows:
Adventurer-->Rogue-->Villain-->Assassin

Screenshots!

None at this time. Need a better host spot.

-Future screenshots, feature of First dungeon.
-Pics of the first 5 classes and abilities.

C

CenshiCheese

well, sounds like very long and arguas work, im sure it will be quite the RPG when its done.

So what are some of the many classes, details and basicly what happens in this game? And also, race. how will it be done? humans purely? or monsters and such?

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
I will try to not spam a million messages unless its generic chatter.

I made some changes to the sections and answered your questions.

C

Capt Griffen

Looks good, but I doubt you know how much you are biting. That's a hell of a lot of work.

Good luck.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Believe me, I know what I am biting into. And the work can be reduced as with any project by just getting a good plan and working at it in pieces.

Just finished Templating 50 levels of creeps in fact. That means each level will be similar at the core and then I have a table for creep talents and modifcations based off a point system. This way its Copy, Paste, Modify for creep bonus' and then fix the models. Leaves the system fast, balanced, and modular for further work.

E

Eilhal

Need any help? I'd be glad to do anything to help out :p ... also I love your class Ideas... I was putting it into my map... but my map is going to be shorter than yours (it's an AoS not RPG) so I didn't have enough time for that...

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Only thing I am forseeing as an issue is models... there just arent very many good female/male model pairs (Such as a good Warrior-type female model or a Male Archer).

E

Eilhal

good luck with that lol... I can't get any models for my map lol

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Just came up with a wierd thought while working on Save/Load code and encryption.

The normal ORPG stuff will get saved. But some extra things to get saved I was thinking about... tell me what you think.

-Player Kills (Number of times character has killed another player)
-Reputation Points (Point system to give validity to the player kills)
-Maps completed (Number of times a map has been pushed till defeat status if enabled)
-Players Defeated (The number of times players are defeated in a game map when certain features are enabled, this will probly not apply to the first map I make, but more so for the future)

All kinds of things could be done with a few extra parts to the keycode. Just curious if anyone thinks them worth going after. I was thinking of expanded maps ranging from AOS with loaded chars to Campaign and more RPG mission maps.

stavious

Reaction score
Effane said:
-Player Kills (Number of times character has killed another player)
-Reputation Points (Point system to give validity to the player kills)
-Maps completed (Number of times a map has been pushed till defeat status if enabled)
-Players Defeated (The number of times players are defeated in a game map when certain features are enabled, this will probly not apply to the first map I make, but more so for the future)

All kinds of things could be done with a few extra parts to the keycode. Just curious if anyone thinks them worth going after. I was thinking of expanded maps ranging from AOS with loaded chars to Campaign and more RPG mission maps.
Cool map. I think the first two ideas are nice having (espcially the second one ;) ). The third one sound useless but the fourth one might be OK. Some leaderboards are going to be required :D .

P

Pyromaniak

This map seems very interesting, I've never really liked ORPG's but this one seems really good. I like the Reputation points and Player kills, but the other two not as much. I can't wait to see this map when it is complete.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I will work those items into my Save/Load engine.

I am going to slowly leak some more interesting details soon. Gotta warm up the old editor for some screenshots. Most of the early stuff will be Terrain Pics, I am a big terrain guy.

Map info updated!
New class announced!!
Progress updated!!!

V

VG Emblem

A suggestion:

--Rogue (Base)
---Thug (Subclass)
---Thief (Subclass)

Maybe instead of Thug, you should have Assassin. I dunno, it's just that Assassin is usually seen as a class side by side to Rogues, I think it would be more appropriate.

E

Eilhal

VG Emblem said:
A suggestion:

Maybe instead of Thug, you should have Assassin. I dunno, it's just that Assassin is usually seen as a class side by side to Rogues, I think it would be more appropriate.

I think

Thug
-Rogue
--Assassin(thief)

stavious

Reaction score
Amazing! Pics and Progress. I can't believe you are actually pulling this project off :D . Post it as soon as possible please :) .

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
LOL, you guys are jumping ahead of me. I didnt inform you the final tier of classes, which Assassin is one of the final classes for the Rogue under the Thug Subclass.

So there, you ruined one of the my surprises, good thing I have 27 more final classes for you people to find out about. :banghead:

And as a final thought, I am going to change the name of the Thug class to Villain. I feel its more of a pairing with Thief in a way and will fit the questline better.

Feel free to ask more questions... Its a big project with alot going on and if its not specific info about endgame, quest, or classes I will inform you.

Stavious: I cant post it till the 30th of Sept. I am going to enter it into the RPG contest so I cant unveil it publicly. Maybe we will see what the rules are about beta team members.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
I love orpgs on warcraft, If this one is also going to be hosted, Im gonna be happy :)

Heres some rep, just for getting original ideas for the player points and reputation.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Save/Load Code system finally added. Should be the most advanced system for any ORPG out there. TWO ways to save for those who like features, and those who like shorter codes!!!

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
General Update.

-First Dungeon Completed
-Planned out up till level 15 for quest
-Planned out creeps till level 25, level 16-25 needs to be entered in Object Editor.
-Finished 1 boss. Another is mostly complete.
-Planned 35 creep abilities balanced for the RPG map level system. Awaiting Object Editor Entry (Each ability is tiered for higher levels, well over 150 entries need to be made)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.