Other The Estate

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
[Story]
You and eleven other guests have been invited to a party at a local nobles mansion. You are able to enjoy some of the finest food and most wonderful festivities avalable. Everything is going fine until around midnight when a storm begins to brew. The noble calls you into a room an announces his final plan for the evening. It seems that he has locked you on the grounds of his estate. In order to determine who will be able to escape, he requires that you play a little game. The game works like this. Each of you has been paired up with another guest. One of you is the predator, the other is the prey. As a predator, you must hunt down your prey and kill them. Be careful though, you are also someone's prey. You must pick up different weapons scattered around the estate. Ambush, set a trap, or find any methode you choose to kill that person. At daybreak, those who are still alive and have killed their target will survive. That leaves two options. You can kill your target and spend the rest of the night evading your predator, or you can take on the prey of the person you have killed and eventualy work your way into killing your own predator. Kill or be killed. Run or be killed. The choice is yours. How many will die to save your own life?

[Gameplay]
+The estate is a one story building that has over 15 rooms. Each room can have multiple hidden items. A system im working on will spawn random items in different rooms each game. Items range from throwing knives to ropes that tie your target up. All units will have fast regeneration meaning that you have to kill them then and there. If they escape, they will simply recover health. Your prey is capable of fighting back if you attack them. Attacks from behind have a significant damage bonus.
+The vision system is unique. Your unit sees in a cone in front of them rather than a 360 degree view. This means that you will have no idea what is approaching you from behind. Whenever lightning flashes, you will have a brief duration to see all around you.
+You have multiple ways of throwing off your predator. You can change your color or your armour, forcing your predator to use their short range examine ability to discover your identity.

[Progress - This map was started April 2]
Terrain: 50%
Triggers: 0%
Units: 0%
Items: 0%

[Screenshots]
Coming Soon

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Sounds very, very nice.

Will there be random classes? Some classes better at running than attacking?

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
All of the guests will start the same, but different costumes/items will greatly vary your capabilities.

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Since this seems more of a fast-action game (even if it's going to be spread thin) may I suggest that for every benifet, there's a dis-benifet(Forgot the word)? This makes it harder for a charecter to become invincible, and opens new weaknesses and strategies.

Sid

Reaction score
Sounds awesome!
I just can't wait till the map is finished...
Besides are you planning on AI?
Cause I have Warcraft on a different machine and that doesn't have internet connection. So, I usually love maps with AI so that I can enjoy 'em offline.

Also, you said that you are making the Vision Cone... Is that possible? If yes, tell me how to make it. Any tutorial links about it, pls?

Galdiuz

Creator of Photon Command
Reaction score
Sounds really cool. I can help with beta testing if you want. :thup:

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Since this seems more of a fast-action game (even if it's going to be spread thin) may I suggest that for every benifet, there's a dis-benifet(Forgot the word)? This makes it harder for a charecter to become invincible, and opens new weaknesses and strategies.
Of course there are penalties for using different gear. Stronger armour slows you down (and may narrow your cone of vision). Lighter gear may offer less protection, but it moves alot faster. Some gear may negate your huge regeneration. Still, the most effective strategy will remain the quick backstab.

Besides are you planning on AI?
Not for the original release. I may try to implement one at a later time.

Also, you said that you are making the Vision Cone... Is that possible? If yes, tell me how to make it.
Currently, there are no tutorials on it. What I am doing is making the main unit have no vision. He then has several small invisible units that constantly are moved in front of him that have their own vision radius. The only thing I havn't figured out is what to do when the character unit walks next to a cliff (I will prolly remove each vision unit as he gets closer).

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Sounds cool. :thup:
Are there alliances? It makes the game a lot more fun in my opinion.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Everyone is technically allied. Players can also work together if they choose, but if a person plans on surviving, they must at least kill their initial target.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Oh, okay.

Can players see each other on their minimaps and from distances and stuff?
Maybe "special" alliances, where you have to specifically meet up with the person and arrange a type of spell, where you then gain sight of each other. Until you cancel or die of course.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Sid

Reaction score
Sharing a vision would be bad idea... Be realistic dude.

Okay, I shall wait for the release.
Considering the complexity of systems, I may try making the AI for you map, Would be a great opportunity to test my skills out. ;)

Also, Just changing the gear color would be bad idea... You will have to lock away the Player Colors Toggle Filter. and additionally, Change every player's name in-game so that no one can recongise that.

Also, try hiding the HP Bars, cause ALT thingy can ruin the fun!

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
sounds cool, you should alter the idea slightly tho. Once daylight is reached, anyone who hasn't killed their prey should be slain, and everyone who has successfully killed their prey should go on to the next round. The rounds should continue until it is 1v1 for a final showdown, in which different traps and weapons become available as a kind of 'reward' for making it that far. I dunno, it's just I kind of feel it's better to have a single player victorious at the end of a free-for-all game like this rather then multiple winners. It also gives the players more reason to fight on once they have slain their pursuer (ie. gang up on a good player once a couple of individuals have cleared their mark so that the final will be easier).

Also, if you incorporated a way for the losers to continue with the game it would be great, because once people get defeated and decide to leave it dampens the gaming experience.... because whats the point in fighting on to victory if noone can see? Perhaps you could have the dead players vote on who they think will win out of the remaining players for a chance to re-enter the game.

....these are just some of the ideas that popped into my head after reading your thread, but no matter what u end up doing it does sound like an entertaining game to me :thup:

Tythoid

Reaction score
For traps I was thinking perhaps you could objects in rooms such as the libary knocking over a bookshelf. Turning a fireplace into a bomb by putting a gas canister on the flames or dropping a hair dryer in the pool. This I think would give the game a bit more charm then cat and mouse when the preditors blocked the escape route the prey was thinking of taking by blocking the door by moving the bed in the way or the prey is leading the predator under a chandelider about to fall to stun him. You can have damaging traps and none lethal trapsand a good mix will make the game more then just who has the fastest movement speed or slowing spells.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
For traps I was thinking perhaps you could objects in rooms such as the libary knocking over a bookshelf. Turning a fireplace into a bomb by putting a gas canister on the flames or dropping a hair dryer in the pool. This I think would give the game a bit more charm then cat and mouse when the preditors blocked the escape route the prey was thinking of taking by blocking the door by moving the bed in the way or the prey is leading the predator under a chandelider about to fall to stun him. You can have damaging traps and none lethal trapsand a good mix will make the game more then just who has the fastest movement speed or slowing spells.

Ah, interactive environment sounds like a good idea! :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score

I was planning on adding some enviremental traps such as the classic falling chandelier. You will also have a push ability on your character that can possibly send your target tumbling into o say...a fire pit or bed of splintered wood. =P

sounds cool, you should alter the idea slightly tho. Once daylight is reached, anyone who hasn't killed their prey should be slain, and everyone who has successfully killed their prey should go on to the next round. The rounds should continue until it is 1v1 for a final showdown, in which different traps and weapons become available as a kind of 'reward' for making it that far. I dunno, it's just I kind of feel it's better to have a single player victorious at the end of a free-for-all game like this rather then multiple winners. It also gives the players more reason to fight on once they have slain their pursuer (ie. gang up on a good player once a couple of individuals have cleared their mark so that the final will be easier).

Also, if you incorporated a way for the losers to continue with the game it would be great, because once people get defeated and decide to leave it dampens the gaming experience.... because whats the point in fighting on to victory if noone can see? Perhaps you could have the dead players vote on who they think will win out of the remaining players for a chance to re-enter the game.

Excellent idea, I think I will have the game work that way. When you die, you will become a spirit that can only talk in a slurred form of speech. You will be able to walk around the mansion and cause some un-natural events to happen to those still alive in the mansion. =P

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Perhaps if you collect certain parts, you could repair a phone and call the police? It would be a dick move, but a great incentive for players wanting to play to stop him.

Are players able to go to other floors? Maybe each floor has a different sight level (Top floor has slightly more sight, but not noticeable. While the basement is nearly pitch black)

Perhaps impliment a Q/A at the beginning..
If you thought someone was following you, what would you do?
A: Run away faster (slight increase to speed)
B: Look back to be positive you are being followed (faster turn speed)
C: Turn back and take the threat head on (slight combat increase)

And so on. Players wouldn't know what the stats are - could be a fun way to personlize charecters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.