RPG The Exiled ORPG

Tooblet

Reaction score
4060968a875a71aeb89e9cb2efedbc113592d68.jpg

Creators
Tooblet: scripting/coding triggering, concepts, spellmaking, etc (anything but terrain and art really)
Glivee: terraining, artwork, icons, future homepage we'll have, learning and working on modelling aswell

Proggress: About 65% of map is done and ready for release.

Features (so far):

• 6 Different unique hero classes/roles. All with unique and custom abilities. (will probably be one or two more)
  • Over hundreds of different items/loot, all with a unique attachments(looks) to make your character stick out.
  • A full fledged RPG Camera system for that real "adventure" feel.
  • A simple save and load system to save your characters progress for future games (obviously).
  • Massive landscapes (forests, castles, dungeons and more) to explore and wander in.
  • Dungeons with difficult and tactical Boss encounters kind of like Zelda meets World of Warcraft.
  • Riddles, mysteries and enigmas EVERYWHERE, hidden secrets, plenty of eastereggs etc.
  • An exciting "challenge" system for fun and hard challenges (sort of like minigames) to take on.
  • Imported nice models and icons and all of that good stuff.
  • Rarespawning creeps and over 70 different types of creeps/foes inhabiting the world.
  • And ofcourse alot of neat little systems put in like a classic bag system/equipment system, scrolling combat text, recepies, casting bars,shared bounty, floating health/mana bars etc.
  • A combo spell system for a more cooperative and fun combat gameplay (explained further down).

I'm currently working on some more features like Pets/companions and Mounts.
also alot of redoing old spells and systems, updating efficiency for a better gameplay.

You know, I could ramble on and just bore everyone to death with these features and stuff.
But I feel that's kind of where the bar is set for the ORPGs of Wc3 these days.
What we are really proud of however is the whole design and concept witch is also really basic and not that unique.
It's supposed to be really easy to learn but as you proggress, it will be really really difficult to master.
Also I try to make it so that there is great synergy between the hero classes, making everyone unique with the Combo spell system.
This is explained here:
The Combination spell system, how it works:

Every hero class in The Exiled ORPG has 4 different unique active spells available.
Three of theese spells are asigned with a "combination color".
What this means, is that when a spell is cast that has a Combo Color, it places a buff on the target that marks what combo colored spell the target was struck by.

There are 3 different colors: Red, Blue and Green.

Everytime a creep, boss or even hero is targeted by a Combo spell a counter starts for that color.
And when that counter reaches it's "combo limit" a bonus will happen.

So an example:

Player 2 with his Warlord targets and casts "For death and Glory" on the boss, dealing 40% of his HP in damage + 20. This spell is of the type "Combo spell type: Red"
The target gets a "Red combo" buff (it now has 1 red combo buff").

Player 5 then casts Mighty blow on the same boss, dealing damage and knocking it back a few yards, this spell is however of the type "Combo spell type: Blue".
so that means the target has 1 red and 1 blue buff and count.

Then 2 more players casts spells of the type Red on the boss. making the red counter reach 3, and KABOOM! - A bonus damaging AOE explosion hits the target and all his nearby friends.

So, the different combinations?

5 red = big aoe blast
5 blue = don't know yet
5 green = don't know yet

There May be a Yellow color, but I can't have all the spells be offensive and only targetable on enemy units so..
One thought is to have that on allies, and given when healed or buffed, making a bonus heal or something.
Feel free to make suggestions :)

You get the point, even though 4 spells are quite few for an rpg of this size, this system will give players a bit more intregued to coordinate their fights.
Atleast that's the idéa :p

Before I even started planning I really wanted to know if a map like this would be anymore fun to play than say...
WoW or another well made wc3 ORPG.
Then I thought; scew it, noone has yet made the map I want to play, might aswell make it myself.
So I grabbed Glivee and we started this whole project about a year ago, knowing nothing about the World Editor.

It's a teamwork based map really. And not a grinding/farming session where you find yourself just hacking away at different creeps gaining level after level after level with no real end.
Instead you'll find it's fairly easy to level and progress (not too easy though), but once you reach levelcap,
then there is a whole lot of challenges and dungeons and stuff you might want to defeat.
We've kept the levels pretty low, and also the stats and such so you won't find yourself with 900 agility burning away 200 shots/minute.
The focus really lies on the Challenges you can accept and the Bossfights inside the dungeons.

Does anyone remember the old Molten Core map?
Well, it's kind of like that, except you can go outside of that Molten Core, and there's a whole world there with stuff to do, and other dungeons just like it.

As said earlier we knew nothing about making maps when we started this project.
So this has been a huge learning process, sort of learning as we go along making the map.
It has seen a whole lot of big changes and rewamps and remaking of all sorts of things and there will probably be alot more as we learn more.
So you will see a whole lot of imported systems and stuff you all here at thehelper has made :) (ofc there will be credits in the map)

Me myself just recently started picking up jass/vjass. so learning that has opened my eyes to making more advanced and efficient coding.
And Glivee is currently figuring out how to make attachment models, so that we can have more unique looking items (big part of the map obviously).

Lately we've been working really hard, cause we have had breaks for months here and there.
But now we really feel it's closing in, and that's why I'm posting this thread here.
To let all of you good ol' wc3 players and mappers know there's a new kid in town! ^^

Here's some pics (some ingame, some from editor view):

406147471ce8e88a86a8f1afcbbbe372e09a657.jpg
4061004579dc3847d61d188655440b01694e6e3.jpg
4061008cf5beccc386a5b0b37cf512dbd7a0f95.jpg
40610181a0551ac49028da23e9185d06a25d90f.jpg
4061043764f168c064373b6d27bfea1c7f9d55f.jpg
406104607ae8484564255aac1ce103c4566abd2.jpg
406105597e5b4bb0e44f61c6f93450f6bc0a672.jpg
4061062cc032e6191cc0cc85026ba94f5f56524.jpg

Any help, tips, suggestions, comments or even idéas are welcome.

I'll update this thread as progress continiues. :)
Glivee will make a small forum sometime around release. for people who are interested then, there will be tons of more info there.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Looks very neat, but here is a few tips, and please do follow them!

Add fog. 1000-4500/5000, any colour. That wil make the game looks ten times better!

Do not leave too many areas empty!

Glivee

The Swedish Moose
Reaction score
Do not worry iPeez, we are planning to keep the doodad-intensity quite low to not cause too much lag. (we're at 9.800+ atm)

We have skipped the fog for now cause we think it feels more epic if you are actually able to stand on some high point, for example a mountain, and enjoy the view.

But well see in future versions if we will add that :)

Also. On almost all areas on those Screenshots there are no creeps added since they load in the Map Init.

Tooblet

Reaction score
with fog do you mean fog of war or an effect?

anyways, what you see in the pictures isnt really how the game itself will look at the final stage.
There's tons of NPCs and creeps all over the place but the most of screens are taken from editor.

And simple stuff like the viewing distance and things of that sort will come later on as we begin to make it ready for release.

thanks for tips though, more of that :)

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Fog is fog :p it's a fog with the colour you want. I will advice you to at least try using a fog (light blue or light yellow will be very nice) with 1000-7000.
Check it out. it makes the screen a little more natural and you can still "view" the whole landscape!

Glivee

The Swedish Moose
Reaction score
Well this version were holding in our hands atm is like an 0.0001 Alpha version.

All suggestions will be thought through and tested.

We might get some screenies up on the Fogged terrain later :)

Tooblet

Reaction score
fog is here

yeah man, I had to put in some fog just because you said it and it's pretty sweet ^^
I wen't with sort of really bright yellow, almost white kind of fog.
changed the looks quite a bit :)

Glivee

The Swedish Moose
Reaction score
Terrain is ok but they all look really empty.

Remember that creeps etc spawn in Map Init and the most of the pictures are taken from World Editor View :)

We're soon about to upload some new screenshots with fog etc implemented in the map.

Also remember that the mapsize is 384x384 and we cant have 2 tons of doodads per inch...:)

"Less is Moar!"

/ Glivee

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I understand but you have almost no doodads acting as shrubs or rocks. Adding some won't hurt.

Glivee

The Swedish Moose
Reaction score
I know :)

Well see about future versions if i can add some more to some places. We dont really want to add too much rubbish since we are using a Third-person cam.

But since you guys are probably the ones who gonna test and play it well see what we can come up with ;)

XxShadyxX

I abused the rep system.
Reaction score
Hmm I guess you and I have started almost the exact same orpg...
Damn I thought mine was going to be the first...
Well hey we will see who is going to better :D
Good Luck! (Also we are using ALOT of the same models lolz.... With doodads and attachments I mean)

Tooblet

Reaction score
haha, well I guess alot of orpgs that are coming up are practically the same..
But I can tell you that we focus more on gameplay and balance and making sure it is working properly and clean and easy to learn rather than packing the game with thousands of features.

Even though we probably have a few completely unnecessary features :p

The attachments we use are made from people at hiveworkshop.
Glivee just started to take a look at modelling since we need a few more attachments for the last tiers of item sets.

If your RPG is the same as ours, I would most definetly want to play it. :D

XxShadyxX

I abused the rep system.
Reaction score
I wish the best of luck on both of our Orpgs!
I got mine at HIve also.
Gl hf.

Tooblet

Reaction score
hehe yeah glhf to your to, please make huge announcements when your map is done, Me and Glivee are allways starving for a good RPG to plow through :D

XxShadyxX

I abused the rep system.
Reaction score
Lol it will be hard to plow through mine. You actually have to play the game. No grind. No farm. Quest/Dungeon/Kingdom Quest based. Very balanced. Teamwork is heavely Advised. Would you like a link to my thread?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
lol Shady... focus on Tooblet and Glive's map, :p

Just another reminder even though already said, terrain could have more in it, ^^
Looks pretty nice.
I hope there will be more than 6 heroes in the final version, or at least a lot of customization for the player.
Yeah, that Molten Core map was fun, but kinda unbeatable I believe... :D

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Tooblet

Reaction score
as for the terrain that's glivees part and he gets to comment on that :p

But as for heroes goes, I know 6 heroes is pretty few.
The idéa of the game is sort of that every class has something unique to bring to the group as a whole.
almost in a sence that certain parts and challenges of the game you cannot beat without a certain hero class or two.
Also I take in consideration that there is alot of Items that drops like in every RPG, and those items is alot oriented around the classes.

But yes, in the end it will probably be 8-10 depending on how uniqie I can keep the spells and playstyle of eatch class :)

EDIT: I'm currently trying to figure out a way in order to make spells for all the classes that benefits the other classes.. And trying to make a sort of "combo spell system" where the spells gives buffs and if another spell (from another class of the combo type) is also cast on that same target, there will be a combinaton bonus.. like extra damage or something.

so example:

Warlord casts "for death and glory" dealing damage in a cool way, adding "FdG" buff.
then a counter would detect the buff, addong "+1buffs-of-type-combobuffs"
and then when that counter reaches 3 or 5 (other classes casting their spells on same target) all the magics combine and a big explosion happens and the target takes 40 damage.

With that sort of system it is pretty hard to come up with a unique set of spells for more heroes :p

Hope that explains things, maybe I should put that in the first post :p

Glivee

The Swedish Moose
Reaction score
By "the terrain could have more in it" meaning adding doodads like rocks, shrubs, garbage all over the place i dont think you will be dissapointed.

Actually the pictures posted at the first page doesent really show us the parts where youll most likely to hang around and killing monsters.

I really want a testmap for you all here soon so you can see for yourself that its actually quite loaded with doodads once youre ingame :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.