The influence of music

KillerChi

Reaction score
I realized my op was vague, I was wondering what the thoughts were specifically on like your actions and personality, not emotion(as everyone knows music affects emotions, I haven't met someone who disagrees)

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Emotions effect your actions to a huge degree, and someones personality is which emotions they have most often and how prone they are to them.
Neither actions nor personality can be separated from emotion.

I don't think that music effects anything else than emotions, but emotions effect everything.

Zakyath

Reaction score
Music can release endorphins, which has a direct effect on you. Does anyone else know of any other actual things that happen when listening to music, instead of just speculations and guesses?

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Music can release endorphins, which has a direct effect on you. Does anyone else know of any other actual things that happen when listening to music, instead of just speculations and guesses?

In sort of more accurate details, sound waves passing through air or water reach your ear, (in super brief) these waves move liquids within the cochlea which causes small fiber like receptors to move, which stimulates attached nerve endings that send electrical signals to your brain (temporal lobe deals with sound recognition I'm pretty sure). Ears don't hear sound, they pick it up, its the inner ear / brain that does the hearing. Granted its something purely brain related, a ginormous host of chemicals (such as endorphins) can be released, pending on the individual/music/sound.

Having said this, music isn't magic, and how we feel about it is purely perceived, and has not a lot to do with what we actually hear (hopefully this makes sense, if not someone say so). Don't consider something so reliant on perception to be quantifiable, speculations are pretty much what we make of sound anyways.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score

But that's still just a short term effect. In reality there is nothing we can physically track for long term affects of music on people, as most of it is the person listening to the music itself.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
No music does not change you physically directly. It changes you mentally which can change you physically.

Me and many of my friends have first hand experience of music changing our personalities. We've seen it change other people's too. Personalities are long term and can change you physically.

Zakyath

Reaction score
@Jimpy: But what we hear makes something happen in the brain - which eventually leads to an effect. What I was hoping was that people would consider looking at and debating actual facts instead of just throwing random assumptions around. This is an interesting subject, and it would be nice to see some actual evidence for what many in this debate claim.

>But that's still just a short term effect. In reality there is nothing we can physically track for long term affects of music on people, as most of it is the person listening to the music itself.

So are you saying there are no long term effects of music?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.