The Terrain Thread

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Show off your terrain works, share your infinite wisdom, help others improve by giving constructive criticism.

Playable, unplayable, the good, the bad or the creative, anything goes.
Anything besides requests, this is not the place to ask people to terrain something for you.

Links to handy stuff might come in the future...
Would be cool if someone was bored enough to make some kind of UTM.

Anyway, let's get started!

The last thing I made in the beta, I was downloading the full game at that time and thought I might as well do something "useful" in the meantime.

orden.jpg

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Awesome terrain 2-P :) Keep it up as for criticisms, the background seems really empty with just a few spikes sticking out and nothign else. Might wanna change that :thup:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I got a really good criticism.... why the hell aren't you terraining for me? :(

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
Does "Wow, great" pass as "constructive"? :D

Actually, those spiky rocks... especially the 4 top right look somewhat out of place.

" share your infinite wisdom "

I will. Tomorrow.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Why dont you post the one you posted to sc2c? That yellowish one. I kinda liked it.

That one is cool too, though.

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
I might as well put the pics here which I took for one SC2Mapster thread. It's my first attempt at SC2 terraining, so I'd like to know, what needs to be improved.
dawnofanewera1.jpg

dawnofanewera2.jpg

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
@Vellu: In the first picture, the car is stuck in the garage door. It looks weird. However, I just realized my perspective was wrong and it's not stuck.

The other picture could use something else than a black background. The gray concrete below the garage(and the other square as well) looks too... painted? Feels like there should be a small blur there or something.

On the other hand, it looks awesome. I would never be able to create something like it. Keep up the good work. This is my opinion though. Maybe the majority thinks everything I said was wrong.

@2-P: Your terrain works are amazing! The background looks a little empty, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing.

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
@Vellu: In the first picture, the car is stuck in the garage door. It looks weird. However, I just realized my perspective was wrong and it's not stuck.

The other picture could use something else than a black background. The gray concrete below the garage(and the other square as well) looks too... painted? Feels like there should be a small blur there or something.

On the other hand, it looks awesome. I would never be able to create something like it. Keep up the good work. This is my opinion though. Maybe the majority thinks everything I said was wrong.

The garage has its door open, but it indeed looks like the car is stuck there. And for the sky, I was furiously looking for something option to show the sky, but it needs to be done in game, I think. And that concrete sure looks a bit weird. Thanks for commenting.:thup:

Could someone make or link a tips&tricks thread, which teaches how to take good screenshots?

punwisp

Reaction score
I might as well put the pics here which I took for one SC2Mapster thread. It's my first attempt at SC2 terraining, so I'd like to know, what needs to be improved.
dawnofanewera1.jpg

dawnofanewera2.jpg

You need to blend the concrete with the sand tiles better

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Tile blending is actually pretty cool in sc2.

Lighting engine is pretty good too, so Ive heard.

I foresee some cool terrain pieces for this game, ey.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
the background seems really empty with just a few spikes sticking out and nothign else.
Actually, those spiky rocks... especially the 4 top right look somewhat out of place.
Ya, wasn't a big fan of them either. But I didn't know what to put there, kinda lacked doodads plus it wasn't possible to roll doodads in the beta (second phase).
Thanks, guess I should really start updating my terrains again. :p

Why dont you post the one you posted to sc2c? That yellowish one.
Why don't you have Marlo anymore on sc2c? :3
violett.jpg

Blending tiles is very important in SC2. Unlike in WC3, most of the tiles (of the same tileset!) don't fit together if you just place them besides each other.
You could first make the concrete area larger and then blend the edges with sand/dirt.
You have to spend a lot more time on tiles now than you had to in WC3, but it's certainly worth it.

And for the sky, I was furiously looking for something option to show the sky
The skies are still broken? Oh my. xD
Well I used doodad skies since the very beginning anyway, meh...

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Why don't you have Marlo anymore on sc2c? :3

Because its a new era of sc2 modding now ( I guess ).

I probably get my avatar back if I start modding for sc2, though. Now Im just lurking on forums and trying to figgure out whats happening.

...And if Cassiel and erwt and other cool guys start to work with Aeon of Blood, I will definetly return to the modding scene and learn some Andromeda. Woot!

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I found this on youtube, add some good mechanics and it's a map, but just look at that terrain!
[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqiulSLFncc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqiulSLFncc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

not sure if this belongs in this thread though.:(

2p's first terrain is slightly too, flat.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that since the wc3 terrain thread is stickied, that this should act in the same manner in which the thread can't actually die...

anyway... first sc2 terrain, and first terrain in awhile. I dont have a name for it so...
CnC please
Terrain 1.jpg

Its loosely based on a desktop picture that came with my comp.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
If the mountains aren't that steep, like in WC3 TFT, I'd buy that picture as real. Nice reflections. Reminded of me looking at pictures of calm lakes in the Northern Hemisphere.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Reminded of me looking at pictures of calm lakes in the Northern Hemisphere.

The picture i based it on was one of the desktop wallpapers that came with windows 7 that was in the 'Canada' theme, so yeah :p

heres the pic i tried to base it on:
CA-wp1.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.